Thread: Les Mis

Les Mis

Thought I would hate it. Damn was I wrong. Never saw it live, but the movie is powerful. I think the camera was about a foot from the actor`s faces for 60% of the movie. Very different than a live musical. They did a great job on this. The cinematography is amazing too.

I am pretty stoked to see it. Tough to live up to he world's expectations on a project like this but have really only heard good things.

Anne Hathaway is amazing. My wife was sobbing the whole damn movie. They are going to own the Oscars.

I have to agree - not a big production/musical fan traditionally - but I was floored by the story line and drama created by the camera work and directing.... Very, very well done.

Go and see it if you get a chance.
    -deej
    I'm against picketing... but I don't know how to show it...

I took the girls to see it this afternoon. Hathaway was a standout, Jackman put in a good performance but his singing was subpar. I thought Crowe was miscast for the role of Javert. 3 hours of 60% face shots of singing and crying wore on me as well. I'm not sold on the Musical-on-the-big-screen concept. Stage design, lighting, props, etc add to the drama of the live stage performance and the camera fails to capture that, imo. B- overall with a few A performances.
    Silent....but shredly.

The movie adds to the overall Les Miz experience: Acting is well done, singing less so in comparison to the live musical but those are accomplished singers. Anne Hathaway is the highlight, a musical film performance for the ages.

If you liked the movie:

See the musical live.
    See the DVD 10th anniversary dreamcast concert: Best of the best performers who sing the songs as they should be sung.
    Not into seeing plays or musicals but this one delivers on all levels and doesn't disappoint.
    Timeless story, don't be afraid to see it.
    Major points from any female you take to see it.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using TGR Forums
    "this thread is an odd combo of win and fail." -Danno

I'll admit I'd never see it in a million years, but did get a good chuckle out of this review in the New Yorker: http://www.newyorker.com/online/blog...iserables.html

Soooooooooooo looooooooooooong. Literally, 5-10 minutes without singing. People all over the theater were squirming to get out at the end. My gf loves the musical, but didn't like the movie much at all.

Quote Originally Posted by PassTheDutchie View Post

I give the review 5-stars!

My brother commented "Best movie he's ever seen." I said, "really? that's a bold statement." He said yes.

That said... I still can't believe it would be on somebody's best list. So I'll have to see and confirm...