Salomon S914 FIS bindings vs Rossi FKS 155 for GS skis

Hi all,

I picked up a pair of Salomon LAB Racing GS-182s used, they come with a Hangl plate, which has already been drilled for some Salomon S914 FIS (I got them without the bindings).

I'm now searching for some clamps to put on them. I can get the 914 FIS for $CAN250, or pay $CAN400 for the Rossi FKS 155.

Now, I'm 160 lbs (72 kg) so I don't need the din right up to 15 as the FKS supplies. But I'm worried about the wing issue on the 914 that I keep reading about here, and the FKSes are known to be bomber.

Is the construction of the 914 FIS any better than the other Sollys ? Does the 914 FIS have the same wing adjustment issues ?

Or should I just be done with it and get the Rossis ? (note the ski is a GS board so brake width is no issue)

Cheers,

tjb

Wing adjustment issues, bah. No other binding has the ability to conform to the front of your boot like a sollie. They are bombproof, and will serve you just fine. I wouldn't ride with anything else. Do it up!

Wing adjustment issues, true. No other binding has the elastic travel like Rossi/Look. They are bombproof, and will serve you just fine. I wouldn't ride with anything else. Do it up!

Quote Originally Posted by pointemstraight
    No other binding has the ability to conform to the front of your boot like a sollie.
    The Rossi/Looks are auto adjusting, which means there is nothing to adjust and nothing to come loose.
    Go for the Rossi/Looks, you won't regret it.

Damn. Outnumbered!

Unless you like adjusting your bindings every other day, avoid the 914s. The 916s on the other hand are absolutely bombproof. They also share the same hole pattern as the 914 with the exception of a 5th screw on the heel. I don't know if the high din is an issue for you though. I saw them at Snowcovers in Whistler last year for $400 CAN. Maybe you can find them on sale or talk somebody down.

That said, you can't go wrong with Looks/Rossis.
    Last edited by Arty50; 02-23-2005 at 12:50 AM.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

question about that hangl race plate...

if you got an extra race plate and mounted them on another pair of skis, would you easily be able to the swap the bindings back and forth b/t skis?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ulty_guy
    question about that hangl race plate...

if you got an extra race plate and mounted them on another pair of skis, would you easily be able to the swap the bindings back and forth b/t skis?

thanks
    Ulty, here is the plate:

So I guess you could ... As long as you were gentle with the holes as the top surface is aluminium. Maybe a helicoil or T-bolt could be used to make it bomber ?? Paging tech gurus

ah, so the holes are necc. already drilled, like line's thing?

is there a solly plate that is pre-drilled, but not a pilot plate? maybe the slalom plate?...

Poweraxe SL 04
    A pure Salomon plate. A complex of fiberglass/ plastic construction for a direct transmission to the edges, bevelled machanism to boost entry and end of turns
    Last edited by ulty_guy; 02-23-2005 at 03:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ulty_guy
    ah, so the holes are necc. already drilled, like line's thing?

is there a solly plate that is pre-drilled, but not a pilot plate? maybe the slalom plate?...
    No, I don't think so. The plate comes undrilled. I bought mine used, but there is metal shavings floating around in there, they must have been drilled on the ski. You mount on the plate just as if it was a clean topsheet of the ski

You could always remove the top piece of the plate, then mount some T-bolts of something if there was clearance, and then mount the plate back on its supports (which are screwed into the ski).