Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Avalanche in the side country at The Canyons.

Prayers go out.

Search in process. Skier triggered

Details? Was it big? Many people involved?

Good luck to all involved, let's hope for happy news.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Details? Was it big? Many people involved?

Good luck to all involved, let's hope for happy news.
    hope all is well, and that it is not 9990 again through the gate...

Good news, Summit County sheriff reporting no one was caught, it was in Dutch Draw.

Awesome.

My buddy sent me this early. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.JPG 
Views:	1261 
Size:	604.2 KB 
ID:	128316

I was out yesterday and as usual at most 20% of people going out the gate were wearing Avy gear. Be safe out there. Sounds like everyone was alright in this one.

(photo from KSL)

never seen that area slide that large. Whoever was caught and escaped is quite lucky

Saw that too. Usually, it is the other side of Soul Patch.
    Glad that the four made it out safely.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Still amazes me that people leave the gates with out gear (or a brain.)

Good to hear no injuries/fatalities.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by mc_roon View Post

(photo from KSL)

never seen that area slide that large. Whoever was caught and escaped is quite lucky

Roon, That area slide huge from that left flank all the way over to goal post early season last year, even slide right through soul patch. Additionally, That area also went in 2005 during control work for the Maxner avalanche/fatality.

Glad no one was hurt. I was taking the day off but people started calling right away to check-in and get info. I turned on my scanner to hear there were no burials according to eye witnesses. summit county rescue was still mobilized including life-flight to make sure nobody was over-looked. I put my shit on and got up there ASAP just to get some details and a better view.

Slide involved three snowboarders (no gear) two friends at the bottom and the guy that dropped on top of them. there were up to nine people in the vicinity, It was very lucky no one was buried 15ft deep in the gully at the bottom.

Note to slackcountry locals: Patrol wants to organize a meeting with as many of us as possible to get our ideas about some changes, including opening up Red pine bowl to inbounds skier traffic on the 9990 north side and putting a new BC gate at the top of RP chute by the rocks. I personally think it's a bad idea, and will increase traffic into a very dangerous area. I'll let everyone know about the meeting once a day is decided
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Still amazes me that people leave the gates with out gear (or a brain.)

Good to hear no injuries/fatalities.
    It's always good to hear when ppl are ok. At the same time.. WTF?!

Areas of CONSIDERABLE danger exist in the mid to upper elevation northerly through easterly facing terrain. Human triggered slides 2-4' deep are possible...and they may be unsurvivable. Remotely triggered slides remain possible as well. Collapsing/whoomphing confirms the instability. Lack of same does little to deny it. You can find excellent and safe powder on mid-elevation slopes gentler than 30 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontana View Post
    It's always good to hear when ppl are ok. At the same time.. WTF?!.
    welcome to Utah in general, and the Canyons slackcountry in particular...problem with that area is that the gate is in a high vis area (honestly there is no other safe place to put it) and everyone can see the BC terrain. its not very intimidating terrain, just 38 degrees of wide open powder... very enticing for Jongs.
    get paid

Goat, I would like to be involved in any discussions/meetings about backcountry access off of 9990 at Canyons. Please let me know when the meeting is going down. Thx.

I would hate to see backcountry access restricted.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontana View Post
    It's always good to hear when ppl are ok. At the same time.. WTF?!

Areas of CONSIDERABLE danger exist in the mid to upper elevation northerly through easterly facing terrain. Human triggered slides 2-4' deep are possible...and they may be unsurvivable. Remotely triggered slides remain possible as well. Collapsing/whoomphing confirms the instability. Lack of same does little to deny it. You can find excellent and safe powder on mid-elevation slopes gentler than 30 degrees.
    So the two guys at the bottom waited for their buddy to drop in from above? You can't prevent stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Long Duck Dong View Post
    Goat, I would like to be involved in any discussions/meetings about backcountry access off of 9990 at Canyons. Please let me know when the meeting is going down. Thx.

I would hate to see backcountry access restricted.
    you got it.

No talk of restricting access, if anything they want to open it up and give us a quick hike out to Square top etc. mostly because so many already duck the rope.

I say; fuck that! they need put up a good barrier at the perimeter, the only people that duck the rope there are 'no-nothings' that just see the locals hike by.
    get paid

park cty sidecountry can be rad w/ avy danger too...almost never see a beacon out there
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    Roon, That area slide huge from that left flank all the way over to goal post early season last year, even slide right through soul patch. Additionally, That area also went in 2005 during control work for the Maxner avalanche/fatality.
    True, I've just never seen that area slide like that without any propagation to other slopes or other separate slide activity off the ridge.

Is it the patrol pushing for change or is it talisker? Either way, if I'm still in town I'll be there.

via carrier pigeon

No clue who came up with the north gate idea ...the patrollers I was discussing it with while drinking some beers thought It was a good idea tho. (maybe they were drunk, I know I was )
    get paid

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    Additionally, That area also went in 2005 during control work for the Maxner avalanche/fatality.
    i remember that one like yesterday. was on the other side of the ridge lapping the east facing ball fields in mid/upper BTF when the chopper flew overhead. my gal was alarmed and asked what the chopper was about. i replied, "not good". fucking cold ass morning that was. wasn't surprised about that fatality one bit. the snowpack was like one big bag o crispy thin potatoe chips.....under 33 degrees skied sooooo dreamy.

rog

I imagine there's a good reason they don't blast out there but it seems to me, boundary or no boundary, it would DEFINITELY save lives. I'm uninformed, anyone know if this has been discussed?
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

All's well that ends well. Be careful out there.

Where is this side country of which you speak? Is it between the backcountry and the resort?
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    I imagine there's a good reason they don't blast out there but it seems to me, boundary or no boundary, it would DEFINITELY save lives. I'm uninformed, anyone know if this has been discussed?

Dutch's draw and much of the BC near the Canyons is on national forest land, there are restrictions and a lot of hoops to jump through. futhermore Canyons patrol doesn't want to assume any liability.
    get paid

HOLY SHIT!!!

Amazing action pics of todays avalanche!
    http://utahavalanchecenter.org/avala...che-dutch-draw

Glad no one was injured, and props to the photog that shot them.

edit: Great write-up and pics by Mike.
    Last edited by My Pet Powder Goat; 12-19-2012 at 09:34 PM.
    get paid

Know a couple of the guys who were involved. Still shaking my head in relief and bewilderment. When it comes to Dutch, people are just never going to learn. Roommate and I think they should at least put another sign at the gate adjacent to the skull & bones (which everyone knows is nothing more than a photo op for most up there) displaying the number of reported injuries and deaths outside that gate. I don't think I'm on board for opening up Red Pine Bowl- all I see that doing is just enticing even more JONGS into the Square Top area, but I like that there's open ended discussions in the works.