Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

That whole clutch derailleur thing

Some of these questions kept coming up here so here's my take between the x.9 and xt configurations.

http://blistergearreview.com/gear-re...illeur-systems
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

It's all Exponential, and shit!

Any of you clutch derailleurin', 10 speedin' folks have any time on one of the Canfield 9 tooth microdrive setups? Like Woo, I've been sticking with 9 speed because 10 in it of itself isn't worth the change to me. Clutch RDs have definitely changed my tune but if I'm going that route I would like to ditch the double for a single ring setup. Problem being that I'm not convinced 11-36 is going to give me the range I want. I'm looking hard at the Canfield setup so I could go 9-36 with a 30 or 31 up front to start. If anyone has any experience with their hubs please post on up.

Nice writeup on the clutch stuff Woo, probably the final push i needed to convince me to make me switch to 10 speed.

Arithmetic, actually.

Damn you! Both bikes need new drivetrains, and I hoping I could avoid replacing everything. Fuck...my wallet is crying from the anticipation...
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

If you’ve ever ridden a dialed road bike with tight gear spacing, you can appreciate the small gaps between gears. It just feels so much more smooth and refined. Riding road bikes is boring, however, and it leads one to geek out on mundane things like “smooth, tight gearing.”
    Hah.

Anyway, awesome write up like always.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Nice write up. I will be taking my brand new x9 clutched setup for its first ride tomorrow. Stoked for silent ninja riding.

I understand the one way clutch what I don't understand is it would seem to me at some point the chain would just keep getting tighter & tighter how does it get loose enough to let the chain derail OR what ???

I dealt with a lot of one way clutches in printer ribbon drives

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I understand the one way clutch what I don't understand is it would seem to me at some point the chain would just keep getting tighter & tighter how does it get loose enough to let the chain derail OR what ???

I dealt with a lot of one way clutches in printer ribbon drives
    It's damped swinging forward, but it still returns.

Everything still moves back and forth, there's just friction. You can feel the difference between off and on with the shimano setup at the shifter for sure. That's why it's kind of cool to be able to turn it off if you're climbing something for a few hours.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Maybe they are different than what I worked on, they were roller bearing clutches known as "torrington clutches" and they absolutely were 1-way or else I got called to fix em

there were 2 of them on a shaft in a printer ribbon drive , one for each direction wrap some fishing line around them and the action of the carrier movement would drive the ribbon in both directions just from carrier motion ... no extra motors/wires/controls

they used to fuck up with red rust or go dry ... regrease or replace

Quote Originally Posted by deepsquat View Post
    Arithmetic, actually.
    It's true!
    the "n' shit" is how sarcasm get projected in my world

Now you're making me wish I'd said "exponentialified"

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    It's damped swinging forward, but it still returns.

Everything still moves back and forth, there's just friction. You can feel the difference between off and on with the shimano setup at the shifter for sure. That's why it's kind of cool to be able to turn it off if you're climbing something for a few hours.
    Actually you turn it off to get your wheel off and back on, otherwise you just leave it on. I thought that you turned it off for climbs as well. It is actually advantageous on climbs that are techy...it ain't just for DH!!

I love it as it keeps shit tight and quiet. It aids to instant engagement more than any hub I have tried. Plus it makes my geared gig sound like my SS and you can even feel that the chain isn't whipping around too crazily from all the slack.
    Squeezin' a little more every other day

for 2014:
    Shimano will have an 11 speed version, and have a thumb control on the handlebar....

Quote Originally Posted by tellybele View Post
    Actually you turn it off to get your wheel off and back on, otherwise you just leave it on.
    It's my derailleur and I kin do whatever the fuck I want with it.

Cuz I'm american!

And I got a moustache!

I have the shimano XTR clutch. I like it a lot. For me, I think it negates the need for a chainguide on a trail bike.

I went SLX because I'm cheap and the rest of my drivetrain is SLX anyway. Within the first 60 seconds of descending Burro I knew it was worth every penny. Didn't drop one chain on the entire Enchilada w/o a guide.

Great writeup <- smilies not working?

I guess the reason they didn't go to a true 2X9 is that it's hard to market fewer gears, even though a lot of people are riding 2 rings and a bash and wish they could have a wider range. 12-36 cassette and 24X36/38 would be fine in 2X9 probably.
    Oh well, I guess they'll just have to work on chain durability. You think the clutch will help with that since the derailleur isn't just flopping around?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Can't talk.

Comitted suicide.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Didn't drop one chain on the entire Enchilada w/o a guide.
    That's saying something.
    One or two rings up front?

I've been thinking pretty seriously about dropping my granny gear off my cranks. I'm sure that'll only last until my back seizes up and my knees swell and I remember why it's on there in the first place........but it's traction season in californy.

That's saying something.

I've been thinking pretty seriously about dropping my granny gear off my cranks. I'm sure that'll only last until my back seizes up and my knees swell and I remember why it's on there in the first place........but it's traction season in californy.
    24/32/bash, '11 Reign. I could almost drop the granny. I use it so little I might as well put my front shifter in a little box that says "In Emergency, Break Glass". Once in awhile though it saves me. No way I would have survived the climb on that Ben Lomond ride I did with springsproject, beaterdit, JTrue and Daywalker without the granny.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 12-13-2012 at 02:34 PM.

That's saying something.

quick thread jack while your on the topic...
    can i rip off the front d and shifter and call it a day or do i need an upper guide? stock 09 sx trail drivetrain, 2x9 + bash and lower dual ring guide

1push=1gear=deal breaker for me, good looking out, i hadnt seen that mentioned anywhere and is very relavent imo, guess im headed back to the shimano camp when budget allows a new build
    also nice review, you seem to find a good balance of linguistic badassery and still get some solid tech points mixed in, something severely lacking in most action sports reviews

It's my derailleur and I kin do whatever the fuck I want with it.

Cuz I'm american!

And I got a moustache!
    Holy shit dude...apologies!! I figured you were some Jewish guy trying to be Japanese, my bad...I do feel safer knowing you are American! Thanks for your service to mankind.

Wing Fat: Don't tell me what I can do, or I'll have my mustache eat your beard. <-- you ever see "What's up Tiger Lily?" ? The humor might be right down your alley?

I better be careful and protect my beard.
    Squeezin' a little more every other day

Quote Originally Posted by forty View Post
    quick thread jack while your on the topic...
    can i rip off the front d and shifter and call it a day or do i need an upper guide? stock 09 sx trail drivetrain, 2x9 + bash and lower dual ring guide

It might work. Probably not though. That's why these clutch things were invented. If you already have a dual guide, you could just leave that on there......it will at least act like a tensioner which is all I have on my trailbike with the XT setup.

Thanks for the review, been in the same camp running Sram for a number of years now. I've heard about problems with the clutch failing on Sram derailleurs, sounds like Shimano has a better implementation.

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    Any of you clutch derailleurin', 10 speedin' folks have any time on one of the Canfield 9 tooth microdrive setups? Like Woo, I've been sticking with 9 speed because 10 in it of itself isn't worth the change to me. Clutch RDs have definitely changed my tune but if I'm going that route I would like to ditch the double for a single ring setup. Problem being that I'm not convinced 11-36 is going to give me the range I want. I'm looking hard at the Canfield setup so I could go 9-36 with a 30 or 31 up front to start. If anyone has any experience with their hubs please post on up.

Nice writeup on the clutch stuff Woo, probably the final push i needed to convince me to make me switch to 10 speed.
    I got a pretty good look at SRAM XX1 at Interbike, an it might fit your bill nicely. It has an 11 speed (IT GOES TO 11!!&#127928 cassette with a 10-42 range. It has a few sweet new developments that are specific to 1by set ups. My favorite is the front chainring that has teeth that match the gaps in the chain so that the chain never falls off (even without a guide). But the rear derailleur is also made specifically for single chainrings and is supposed to run really smooth. The disadvantage is that you need to install the entire drivetrain, including the rear free hub body and crank. I'm gonna wait awhile until the technology shows up in a 9 or 10 spd compatible version.

Read more about it here: http://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/family/xx1