Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    That is the coolest dog-skiing vid ever! That guy is crazy.

Yeah, that dog kicks ass. Amazing that he/she can keep up.

I spent a day inbounds on otto's pair. Conditions were mostly sucky with occasional pockets of greatness. I did very much enjoy the skis and they did everything I expected them to do. They are stupid light like my lhasas but I think they ski a lot nicer. I had no problem holding an edge on everything even tahoe ice-bumps. In the pockets of good snow they skied very naturally. I like 98.5 from the tip the best.

A pair needs to make it to Alaska for me to demo! Anybody coming through anchorage with a pair?
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

There's only five pair out there, Jed. They were just for testing and then people wanted them so I had to order more topsheets. It'll be a while before any drift your way. There are 187 Fats and the new 186 Fats coming out of the oven, too. Now I gotta make my pair of Kusalas and mount my new 196s. My season starts now. Finally.

I'm in no hurry, I'll get on a pair eventually. My bro quiver is too full for any additions at the moment.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

So if Kusala's slay pow and also slay ice, then how do they ride different from the 191 fats?

Quote Originally Posted by Piggity View Post
    So if Kusala's slay pow and also slay ice, then how do they ride different from the 191 fats?
    Completely different skis. I'd say an appropriate analogy using heavier skis would be the 191 Billy Goats vs 186 Renegades. One is a pintail and the other a semi-R/R --completely different balance point and float characteristics.

Once I get demo binders, I'll get them mounted up and feedback ASAP. (The demo binders Otto Parts so generously provided were too old for the shop to mount. Fortunately, he's awesome and just bought a new pair and had them shipped to me.)
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

The dude abides and dad provides
    Life of a repo man is always intense.

Quote Originally Posted by Piggity View Post
    i personally think they do better on ice than the lhasa. my feeling is that the lhasa places more edge pressure out on the tips of the skis and the kusala places it more towards the feet. i'm feeling a stiffer wider rear half that is better for landing airs. i haven't skied crud or much chopped pow on the kusala, but i think the lhasa is gonna have the advantage there (just a guess).
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Powdork what's your BSL, wondering if we are close enough to swap skis for a run

powdork's is the very first pair made. So they are touch stiffer than what we settled into. Since then, I've been using some lighter weight carbon weave (which is different but really nice looking, btw) that gives the tip a nice firm flex.

Pat, are you planning on making the Kusala in a longer length (191ish) for next season?

Tahoe BC-you're also welcome to borrow mine that have the Griffon demos at KW next time I'm up. (next time it snows )

Ruckus-they are pretty damn stable (subtle rocker/long contact length) as is.

Would there be interest in a BRO (and others) demo day for the Tahoe crowd?

191 Lhasas - with 2mm wider tail
    187 fats - waiting for Splat to press/ship

Both have/will have griffon demos.

Otto - I was skiing the 186 Rens all last season and moved on because I found them too short, mainly the touchy fore-aft balance, not a stability issue tracking wise. I am 6'1" 170lbs. Have been skiing the 191 Lhasa this season for all my touring, love the ski but I prefer the surfy feel of the Ren over the more traditional stance of the Lhasa and pin design. also miss the width. The 196 Ren is a bit cumbersome for skinning, and the Lhasa is sooo much lighter on the up-track. The Kusala looks to be pretty close to what I am looking for, minus the length.
    Last edited by RUCKUS; 02-25-2013 at 02:19 PM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    There's only five pair out there, Jed. They were just for testing and then people wanted them so I had to order more topsheets. It'll be a while before any drift your way. There are 187 Fats and the new 186 Fats coming out of the oven, too. Now I gotta make my pair of Kusalas and mount my new 196s. My season starts now. Finally.
    Hi Splat, are there any demo pairs in Chamonix/ Western Alps? Else I'm in Portland, OR from 20-25 April if that's easier? & I can get up to Hood... Like what you're doing - just want to feel to believe!! :0)

Ruckus, gotcha.
    Sure Splatster wants to sell a few 186 first, but as the whiner who got him to build a 191 Lhasa I'm sure a 191 would rock. Can't tell you how much they kicked ass in 4-6 last week, dying for another shot in something bottomless.
    (As is the entire Tahoe area)
    My initial thought is that they have a wider sweet spot than the ren though.

Otto - I like the sound of the wider sweet spot, I believe that is the one flaw in the 186 Rens, at least for taller guys. I understand sticking with the one size initially, gotta sell a few before tooling up for another size. Hoping it is sooner than later. I may have to track down a pair in the area to take for a spin.

Yo, guys, like I said there's some here and some in Europe (Suisse, St. Anton) but this is all new and the preorders will get built and testing and comparisons are ongoing. If you like what the rest of the guys getting them say, you can preorder but, please keep in mind, we're just a little almost-custom shop with limited capacity. Some of the guys, like otto parts, have been kind enough to put demos on their pairs. Above and beyond of them. But we don't have any skis for demos. They go as fast as they're made. We don't have anything left to mount. We're sold out and still building. Shit, I haven't gotten on them yet!
    But I will this week.

Sweet vids guys. Looks like another winner (make a 191!!!!)
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    Powdork what's your BSL, wondering if we are close enough to swap skis for a run
    306. I do have some play on each end of the screw.

and now i found another problem to add to my list
    1. i need new skins
    2. the bases are NOT orange and blue (wtf?)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	126e.jpg 
Views:	791 
Size:	445.6 KB 
ID:	133528  
    Last edited by powdork; 02-25-2013 at 07:48 PM.

I got some skins cut for the 188 bro if you want to split them, pd.

it's not that i don't have skins. it's that their not fat enough any more.
    no worries though. i've always been a fan of the landing strip...

in the video, powdork's landings look stiff and the tip barely deflects.

If you wanna see absolute hilarity, have me click into his binders with my 306 BSL boots!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell