Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
    I was told 100cm with that method, and that's where the factory mark was, on the dot. My ski is around 2 months old. Whatever Splat tells me (a hack skier) is what I'll follow, but if the mark is a little aft of neutral that suits my needs these days. Caveat, I can change the CoM of my rig pretty easily. My effective BCL is 304mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    consensus still 99 straight pull back from the tip?
    Last edited by whippersnapper; 12-11-2013 at 06:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    consensus still 99 straight pull back from the tip?

I was at 99.5 on mine last year. Felt I could go back to 100 with no loss at all, Dave. For the guys who wanted more tip rocker for deep pow, I went 100 cm. It's between 99 and 100 based on everyone who has skied it, though there were some slight variations fore and aft, but not much. I know powdork skis his at 99.5, too, I think. powdork?

Can anyone who has spent some time on a pair of softs comment for me? Not on mount point, just on how they feel and ski in general. Based on my perusing of the interwebz, pictures, and dims, I am thinking these will be like a slightly narrower and possibly lighter protest, leaning a tad more towards the Lhasa/directional ski?

I have a pair of 191 blems from 2-3 years ago that seem fairly soft and I really like the flex pattern, but wouldn't mind something a touch surfier/playful... if my assumptions are on track my only other concern would be the 186 length.

Thanks

There's a batch of new soft Kusalas going out soon (we did a last minute layup change up) , including some of the pure carbon softs. You might pose this question again in early January. Though Tye 1on gets his tomorrow...

powdork is at 99.5, but was at 99.25. Boot change. And holy anal measuring. Mine are going at about 99.5, but could shift depending on future boot.

Sierraskier. I've been on 191 Wrens the last three or so seasons. I only have about 4 hours on this ski, and one of the stiffer variations, but felt there was plenty of length, and yet super easy to throw around. Not sure if that helps. But I can't wait to get mine mounted and for some more snow.

Recieved my low profile Kusalas today, and now for the mounting.

I'm planning to put some dynafit radicals on them mounted center, unless the gods bless me with some beast 16s - they would be color coordinated with the Vulcans....

The Kusalas look like they can edge enough to get to the pow. I'll compare them to some Kuros soon.

welcome to the family, shrimp. Shortest Bro of the bunch, but i bet you'll fit in just fine...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1017.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	146469

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1011.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	146471
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Oh shit are we doing bro quiver shots?? I've got nothing on SFB but a pretty sweet collection nonetheless.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Shralped the WROD on my kusalas today. I always feel weird skiing dynafits inbounds but the kusalas ripped. I did 2 runs with the vulcans in walk mode (top buckle open) and they were easy to stay on top of and make quick turns there were some big patches of blue ice that it was tough to get an edge in with the boots loose. I did two runs after in ski mode and the ski's personality changed from playful neutral stance to full on charger, still easy to ski and fun with a neutral stance but I could pressure the tips and carve or slarve. They gave me whatever I wanted. I switched to my 192s and ate shit a few times before I realized that my dins were backed off all the way. ops:

Bottom line: fun skis even on shit conditions.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Caught one of the elves putting centerlines on Kusalas and realized that the shot shows the side profile nicely.

Got in about 10k vert of ski touring this weekend, which were the first ski tours of some occasional mixed snow conditions. the kusalas handled a small breakable crust and wind buffed surfaces very well. the powder skiing was incredible as expected. i was not looking forward to a bobsled exit but they handled better than i expected them to.

As these skis were designed for, they will get you to the top of an alpine style descent in the backcountry and handle a variety of snow conditions well, making the ski enjoyable. they ski very predictably and of course respond well when you stay in the front seat and drive them. Hopefully i'll have some pictures of them in action from ski partners soon

kevino - dying to see those shots!
    Dude, I have softened the pure carbon Kusala sinfully light and flexy since your pair.
    They'll need to pass some durability tests, but you would be so blown away.
    Mounting a demo pair for shop skis to give them the run around very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    kevino - dying to see those shots!
    Dude, I have softened the pure carbon Kusala sinfully light and flexy since your pair.
    They'll need to pass some durability tests, but you would be so blown away.
    Mounting a demo pair for shop skis to give them the run around very soon.
    The pair of all carbons Splanta delivered earlier this week have the most flex to them I've ever felt on a ski.. there is no comparison to the initial hybrids I had that were stiff from tip to tail... which I'm sure is what's desired by athletes.. but kinda intimidated me (read intimidated the piss outta me)..
    But this pair is definitely 'softer' than the other iteration.. the tip has just enough flex then it is that sweet progressively stiff flex down to underboot... certainly not 2x4 stiff.. I don't know how Pat did it but this ski feels stiff and damp at the same time.. Combine that with that rev rocker profile in the pic above.. and an actual wt of 8 lbs for the pair....... crazy

I'm totally blown away by these.. Hope to mount them this week and get up around Baker, but am always work busy thru December..
    'To quote my bro
    "We're not K2. We're a bunch of maggots running one press at full steam building killer fukkin skis and putting smiles on our friends' faces." ' - skifishbum '08

"Adios Hugh you asshole" - Ghostofcarl '14

believe...

Caught one of the elves putting centerlines on Kusalas and realized that the shot shows the side profile nicely.

This looks like a bit more rocker on these no?

wow. Splat and BaNosser the newest all carbons sure do sound awesome. 8lbs for the pair is also quite appealing for someone who tours 100%. If I make it up to Baker this winter I'd love to check them out and compare.

bsavery: those def are an updated version like BaNosser is talking about and slightly more pronounced rocker than on my my OG all carbon kusalas

Quote Originally Posted by bsavery View Post
    This looks like a bit more rocker on these no?
    Certainly on the pair Francois is working on, but that table is not flat at all and might be dropping away from under the tails.
    We have done different rocker heights for people based on what they primarily want the ski for -ie, all pow, all around, mostly groomers.
    The tails in the foreground look more representative of what the Kusala normally would have.
    We're willing to ship a pair out and if someone wants something a little different, we'll make them another pair until its perfect for them.

kevino - bsavery got the other pair of the first two pair of all carbons we did last spring.

We have done different rocker heights for people based on what they primarily want the ski for -ie, all pow, all around, mostly groomers.
    What is the variability in rocker heights on Kusalas that you have built?

Has anyone compared the edging on the variants?

Groomers????

It seems that there are only three applications of this ski:

• • POW - infinite
    • • POW with some ice to get to it and some combat skiing on the return
    • • POW with groomers on the approach and the return
    Last edited by jumpturn; 12-16-2013 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jumpturn View Post
    POW with some ice to get to it and some combat skiing on the return
    This, IMO, is where the Kusala shines. Haven't spent *that* much time on them, but I think they'll do this much better than my 191 Fats. Though I do love the way a pintail skis pow...
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

It's not my choice for combat skiing, having skied it off the top of Mammoth on ice moguls last spring. Nor did I feel like I wanted to air into said ice moguls. But it got me through them and that was like a first run checkout. I might have felt better about it after a few runs.

After skiing the pure carbon Kusala on the icy groomers at KW yesterday, I will withdraw that combat skiing comment and say those fuckers ruled the icy hardpack and bumps. Damn. It was sweeet.

^^^ we're talking narrow hiking trails.. Scraped up, ice, rocks, wood, etc. this would often be the exit from the ancien piste des glaciers. Much easier, of course, is the return to town from the Mer de Glace...just point and pray.... Trail skiing is also a typical return off of MTW skiing.

Probably really want stiff 192s for combat skiing...

Quote Originally Posted by jumpturn View Post
    ^^^ we're talking narrow hiking trails.. Scraped up, ice, rocks, wood, etc. this would often be the exit from the ancien piste des glaciers. Much easier, of course, is the return to town from the Mer de Glace...just point and pray.... Trail skiing is also a typical return off of MTW skiing.
    Sounds like a typical spring day in the Gores out here. Except less scraped up and more funky crusts and mush.

Yeah, the bobsled trees and rocks back to cham...a small quick ski with edge is a game changer in there.
    I think they'll navigate that and all it's varied stump jumping just fine, jt.

Kusalas at work this past weekend. Photos by Kyle Lucas.

Got a pair of pure carbon Kusalas mounted with solly demos if anyone around the hood wants to ski them. They were awesome today!

All I gotta say is that its killin me to have these beauts with a ton of snow on the ground and counting the days till I can ski again.