Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by masterofgreenbeans View Post
    I've been riding these on and off down in SA all season and they are way different ride than the DPS112rp. It's a much stiffer ski with lower tip rocker and less tail rocker, It's also more center mounted, so more tail. Now that I have become accustomed to the differences these are ripping good.
    Me, 50, 5'10' 215 best skier on the mountain, I can't believe I'm not spancered. Blahblah, reality, ok skier, relatively fast meadow skipper, not a finesse guy.
    Anyway, I've had these in 4ft of fresh at LL and they just wanted to run. I can't find the speed limit. They love the fall line. They ride lower in the snow than the DPS(it's just a totally different ski) but plenty of float at 122 under foot. I mounted with demo griffons to dick with mounting point and found -1 to be my sweet spot. I cant wait to get the tracks off as I feel they do mess with the flex of an already stiff ski and I found this to be most noticeable in the fresh.
    Chopped fresh, absolutely destroyed it! They fckna haul ass. Just pick your line and go.
    3 day old crud...again destroyed it. They are stiff and plenty damp enough to shine in these conditions. Being a 90% in bounds skier as well as Mammoth being my home mountain crud and chop skiing abilities are high on my list and Kusalas delivered.
    Plenty of spring skiing conditions lately down here as well and they were super fun to go off piste and lay some trenches in the cornish soft. you can lay a sweet carve on any soft groomer as well. On firm and frozen groomers they react as expected for a wide ski, some work required.
    Currently at Nevados de Chillan with wet snow falling and these will be the go to ski of the 3 pairs I brought when the weather breaks.
    They get better the more I get used to them so I'm stoked. Hard chargers should really take a look at these. I may want a little less stiff in pristine fresh but thats likely just me and only about 15% of my skiing. Nice work Splat.
    Just a bump to remind anyone interested that the Kusala Pow preorder price of $950 ends at the end of September.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Could these dethrone my Billygoats? Stoked for this winter! Curious to see if they stomp as well... that's a big if...
    I bet you will enjoy the Kusala's stomp.

I've never been on the billygoats, but I've been on first gen wrens for several seasons now. In my four hours on them the Kusalas felt like they could handle as much speed, but were way more forgiving when the hit was less than perfect. Or rather, when I was less than perfect. They more easily made slight adjustments in the take off, while in the air, and adjusted for poor landings. If that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Ask Kevino on that comparison. He just got his Kusalas, been skiing them this summer and is selling his 187 Fats in gear swap.
    Ah, thanks. Seeing the intensity of his terrain and effort, that is a strong endorsement. Gotta say the short *initial* contact length makes a lot of sense for my situation, i.e. quick turn initiation without nervousness...

bump - two weeks left for $950 price on kusalas.

New, slightly adjusted for flex, thinner cores are being prepped for the press now.

9 lbs 7 oz

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1060694crp_PanoramaXnpt.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	574.3 KB 
ID:	141367  
    Last edited by BaNosser; 09-17-2013 at 02:04 AM. Reason: FKNA
    'To quote my bro
    "We're not K2. We're a bunch of maggots running one press at full steam building killer fukkin skis and putting smiles on our friends' faces." ' - skifishbum '08

"Adios Hugh you asshole" - Ghostofcarl '14

believe...

Ooooh I can't wait for mine!!
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Can't wait to get back on em!
    surviving in the city, powered by wellbutrin

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    We're pressing them for a while but my email is down, as is the website.
    If you have any questions you can pm me here and I'll get back to you asap.
    IT mags - Will trade pair of Kusalas for a basic functioning website.
    Why couldn't you have offered that before I got my pair?? Although I could be tempted by a pair of carbon kusala bro's...

Website is back up after the weekend glitch. It will be updated soon with Kusalas listed.
    In the meantime, we've been pressing both soft and stiff flexes.
    The Kusalas have entered a new realm of awesomeness with the again redesigned elliptical cores that allow us to offer these new flexes.
    Nice stiff underbelly and controlled tip flexes to meet individual preferences.
    I can't wait to ski!

An homage to Walt and Jesse...

The Kusala soft flex tip is now all dialed after running a bunch of different layups to get the perfect flex that won't submarine the deepest pow and not rattle on the grooms.
    It had to be flexible but firm, while being unbreakable. Very stoked. Here it is in full flex.

You're a mad scientist Pat!
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Wait, does that pair in the bin say Otto?

$ sent for two pair.
    Life of a repo man is always intense.

I want a pair of those.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    headed out for my biannual road trip to reno and the pm gear factory along the banks of the truckee.
    nothin says the turn like a fresh dustin of mountain peaks

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    You're a mad scientist Pat!
    who can wield the scientific instrument of attitude realignment w/ the best of em.

Best part of the trip for me was workin all day in the factory, then uncle splat put the wifes suba lesbomobiles petal to the floor and hammered over to squaw to catch the showing of the best tgr movie since anomoly imo.
    The whole if you surround yourself w/ people who share your passion
    it becomes a "Way of Life" thing rings true to me
    Super stoked to be afforded the opportunity to ski on some Kusalas this season
    and even more stoked that once again some of my skibum passion contendedness and a smidge or two of skill will be on fellow maggots feet this winter.

AS always my bro from a different mo thanks for the hospitality, wisdom and op to be a part of makin the tools the tribe uses to make our way of life what it is.
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Thanks for comin, Dibs! I found the Ben and Jerry's Half Baked ice cream in the fridge at exactly the right moment last night and threw your home grown broccoli in my omelet yesterday morning. We rebuilt the top block on the press yesterday so we don't need all that stuffing above the airbag to conform to the Kusala tips. Hopefully, we get to ski again in Ootah.

You and Dibs? Half baked about half right.....
    Life of a repo man is always intense.

Pretty sure I left the half baked in the freezer. Along with full baked elsewhere
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

We're doing some new layups (again) to bring down the weight. Will post some new pics and weights soon. We are working on a good softish pure carbon flex.

Lighter? Ha. Mine are already about a half ton lighter than the skis I was on. I plan to float uphill.

Looking good, what are the current widths, splay lengths & heights on these? Or have the only adjustments been to the flex?
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 10-09-2013 at 07:58 AM.

Kusala
    Dimension:
    • Length: 186cm
    • Dim: 133.2 / 124 / 129.4 mm
    • Radius: approximately 30m
    • Pintail profile: 0.4°
    • Front rocker length: 460mm
    • Front rocker height: 23.7mm (including the front reverse camber)
    • Rear rocker length: 390mm
    • Rear rocker height: 13.1mm (including the rear reverse camber)
    • Front end height: 90mm
    • Rear end height: 30mm

Adjustments have focused on flexes, weight and tip height. Most recent soft flex got the weight down below 4.5 lbs per ski. That's a hybrid weight. Pure carbon softs will be less.

some kusala stoke to keep this on page 1. most of it is kusala anyway

powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

What do you think the soft carbons will weigh?
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

4 - 4.2 lbs per ski. We got a lot of requests from people to really pow orient the Kusala by softening the tips, as well as the rest of the ski, for max float in superlight snow and slow to fast speed maneuverability in trees. The body of the soft Kusala still has a softened firmness to it for groomers. First batch will ship end of next week and we'll hopefully get some feedback on them soon. We also softened the stiff flex (they were STIFF) and have these flexes more in line with what people expect in these descriptions. If someone wants them renegade stiff, we can still do that, too. Our French intern, Francois, really stepped up to suggest some creative ways to use different carbon weights and weaves in ways we hadn't considered and the results have been awesome.

I can attest that the Kusalas stiffs are very stiff. Some of the stiffest skis I've hand flexed. Stoked to get on em!