Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    Skied mine today...sun cups were destroyed and corn harvested

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1374121523.285640.jpg 
Views:	1275 
Size:	126.8 KB 
ID:	139599  

I have decided to continue the preorder price of $950 on the hybrid Kusala Pows until October 1. Delivery by November 15.

PM for details, questions...

Dear Splat,

Could you press me up a pair of Kusala Pow blems in a 191.
    That would be great!

Thanks,

Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez

We blemmed a couple pair out of the gate adjusting the mold in order to not blem any more for the rest of the year, tuco. It could happen but I certainly hope not.
    The Kusalas are pressing solid. I love making them and really love skiing them.

Don't blame you, man. I gotta say its a very sweet looking ski and wanted a pair as soon as I saw this thread started. Pretty much exactly what I'm looking for in a most everyday ski. I had a hard, hard time not pulling the trigger on those 186 blems. If they were 191's it would have been a no brainer, I would have bought them the first day you posted 'em.

At 205, 6-1, I thought I'd think it would ski short, but the Kusalas never felt that way whether in pow or on grooms. There was a psychological hurdle in looking at it as short after coming to it from off 191 Lhasa Fats, 192 Bros (which are really 194s these days) and 196 Lhasas. The thought occurred - but the feel did not confirm the thought. Gonna hang with the 186 until later this season. Might go out to 193 then.

Also concerned by the length. I guess we'll see! They measure about 1cm shorter than my 186 BGs, but those tend to measure long, so I was expecting that.
    Last edited by Lindahl; 07-26-2013 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    At 205, 6-1, I thought I'd think it would ski short, but the Kusalas never felt that way whether in pow or on grooms. There was a psychological hurdle in looking at it as short after coming to it from off 191 Lhasa Fats, 192 Bros (which are really 194s these days) and 196 Lhasas. The thought occurred - but the feel did not confirm the thought. Gonna hang with the 186 until later this season. Might go out to 193 then.
    That's cool. I'm all about versatility and find 189 to about 193 to be the perfect mix of maneuverable and chargey.
    So I guess I'm first on your list for 193 blems then(cuz I'm generally a broke dick sumbitch)!

Been pressing the 183s on the Kusala camber block. Coming out nice.
    All new ski.

I posted this over at Powdork's Kusala review page,
    http://www.powdork.com/2013/kusala-pow-186-from-pmgear/
    asking him to compare the Kusalas to the 187 Fats, but welcome comments from anyone about any ski. I went sit-skiing at Jackson in March and had such a good time I decided to stay in the sport. It is a lot of money and effort in my situation, but the payoff is like nothing else. I missed two whole years of skiing, and gear is sooo critical for sitskiing. In my case, I am effectively my head, shoulders, and arms, plus a 200 lb. potato sack between them and my ski. I'm always centered on the ski, or I'm down. That's why I'm looking at traditional sidecuts, I can't lean forward or get in the backseat.

Most fun I ever had was on *a* Bro 195, which I still have, but I need something that will be nimble for steeps as well as burly for cruising fun. The boards must be fairly big and fat so my trenches are not too deep (240 lbs on one ski...). They must have length and rocker to avoid cartwheeling when I hit moguls/snowpiles. Length really helps with that, but hurts turnability. I have 178 Dynastar Sultan 94s at the moment, but want to expand the envelope. Hence my questions:

"Hey Powdork, this is a late question, but... since you have huge experience with the 187 Fats, would you compare them? I use a sit-ski and so have really unusual, special needs in a ski: 1) Must float well, since just 1 ski holds 240lbs all the time; 2) must be able to toss fairly well, I can't unweight at all; 3) must have good pop out of a hard turn (a big reason I'm looking at PMGear) to enable 2) to happen; 4) must be bomber; 5) must work with slow short turns/slarves and fast long turns; and 6) must be happy at high speed when all has gone to hell or I get real happy. Thanks."
    Last edited by whippersnapper; 08-03-2013 at 06:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Been pressing the 183s on the Kusala camber block. Coming out nice.
    All new ski.
    Interesting...fats or standard?

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Interesting...fats or standard?
    I've ordered a couple of pairs & Pat asked me which width I wanted so I presume they're available in both - I having the std 99mm underfoot which is great for yurp.

There will be limited pairs of both right now. People asked for this ski in in the subtle rockered shape of he Kusalas, so we did them. The Euros are buying them up in the 99 waist version, the Norte Americanos are going for the Fats, predominantly. The 99s are going fast, there are more Fats available right now.

What, no lifts open today...... tomorrow

Name:	2013-08-07 11.29.36.jpg 
Views:	933 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	140049  
    surviving in the city, powered by wellbutrin

You got enough time on those babies to post a review, mogb?

hopin' you haven't hurt yourself on those rockets....

I'm accumulating tips. Have almost enough for these or a new frame.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

I'm getting a feel for em, and it's all good. Nope, the only injuries here are from Pisco.

Foot or so of fresh expected this weekend!!

A package arrived in the mail yesterday. A good FKNA package. I fell in love with these things on the fourth turn. Can't wait to play on them for more than just a few hours.

This guy seemed pretty stoked on them. And his mom really likes the top sheet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1377870189.295949.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	163.5 KB 
ID:	140646

Pray for snow!

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1377870086.679964.jpg 
Views:	515 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	140645  

^Still looking sweet! Can't wait to try a pair.

Quote Originally Posted by whippersnapper View Post
    I posted this over at Powdork's Kusala review page,
    http://www.powdork.com/2013/kusala-pow-186-from-pmgear/
    asking him to compare the Kusalas to the 187 Fats, but welcome comments from anyone about any ski. I went sit-skiing at Jackson in March and had such a good time I decided to stay in the sport. It is a lot of money and effort in my situation, but the payoff is like nothing else. I missed two whole years of skiing, and gear is sooo critical for sitskiing. In my case, I am effectively my head, shoulders, and arms, plus a 200 lb. potato sack between them and my ski. I'm always centered on the ski, or I'm down. That's why I'm looking at traditional sidecuts, I can't lean forward or get in the backseat.

Most fun I ever had was on *a* Bro 195, which I still have, but I need something that will be nimble for steeps as well as burly for cruising fun. The boards must be fairly big and fat so my trenches are not too deep (240 lbs on one ski...). They must have length and rocker to avoid cartwheeling when I hit moguls/snowpiles. Length really helps with that, but hurts turnability. I have 178 Dynastar Sultan 94s at the moment, but want to expand the envelope. Hence my questions:

"Hey Powdork, this is a late question, but... since you have huge experience with the 187 Fats, would you compare them? I use a sit-ski and so have really unusual, special needs in a ski: 1) Must float well, since just 1 ski holds 240lbs all the time; 2) must be able to toss fairly well, I can't unweight at all; 3) must have good pop out of a hard turn (a big reason I'm looking at PMGear) to enable 2) to happen; 4) must be bomber; 5) must work with slow short turns/slarves and fast long turns; and 6) must be happy at high speed when all has gone to hell or I get real happy. Thanks."
    Ask Kevino on that comparison. He just got his Kusalas, been skiing them this summer and is selling his 187 Fats in gear swap.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    A package arrived in the mail yesterday. A good FKNA package. I fell in love with these things on the fourth turn. Can't wait to play on them for more than just a few hours.
    What binders are you putting on them and whats your BSL

Been a while. 304 I think. Plates or inserts. Dyna for sure. Duke or Look possible.

I've been riding these on and off down in SA all season and they are way different ride than the DPS112rp. It's a much stiffer ski with lower tip rocker and less tail rocker, It's also more center mounted, so more tail. Now that I have become accustomed to the differences these are ripping good.
    Me, 50, 5'10' 215 best skier on the mountain, I can't believe I'm not spancered. Blahblah, reality, ok skier, relatively fast meadow skipper, not a finesse guy.
    Anyway, I've had these in 4ft of fresh at LL and they just wanted to run. I can't find the speed limit. They love the fall line. They ride lower in the snow than the DPS(it's just a totally different ski) but plenty of float at 122 under foot. I mounted with demo griffons to dick with mounting point and found -1 to be my sweet spot. I cant wait to get the tracks off as I feel they do mess with the flex of an already stiff ski and I found this to be most noticeable in the fresh.
    Chopped fresh, absolutely destroyed it! They fckna haul ass. Just pick your line and go.
    3 day old crud...again destroyed it. They are stiff and plenty damp enough to shine in these conditions. Being a 90% in bounds skier as well as Mammoth being my home mountain crud and chop skiing abilities are high on my list and Kusalas delivered.
    Plenty of spring skiing conditions lately down here as well and they were super fun to go off piste and lay some trenches in the cornish soft. you can lay a sweet carve on any soft groomer as well. On firm and frozen groomers they react as expected for a wide ski, some work required.
    Currently at Nevados de Chillan with wet snow falling and these will be the go to ski of the 3 pairs I brought when the weather breaks.
    They get better the more I get used to them so I'm stoked. Hard chargers should really take a look at these. I may want a little less stiff in pristine fresh but thats likely just me and only about 15% of my skiing. Nice work Splat.

Damn, thanks MGB, you just fucked my 13/14 equipment budget... FKNA!!!!
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Could these dethrone my Billygoats? Stoked for this winter! Curious to see if they stomp as well... that's a big if...