Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Any pairs in Whistler to test? If not.... I can offer myself Have a pair of Rens to which will be great to compare back to back

i gotta admit i wasn't super excited about taking them out today. reverse on ice in holiday crowds wasn't sounding too fun. i was expecting squirrelly but the kusalas handled the hardpack like they were made for it and the crowds were somewhere else. should be getting them out in pow tomorrow. i tried the 186 first at a little over 98cms back and that was too much pressure on the front making it difficult to rail a turn, though skidded turns were easy. moving it back to about 99.5 centimeters back seemed to be the sweet spot. they were fun enough in the hard bumps i checked to see if gunbarrel had softened up enough to open. it hadn't.
    here's a quick edit from ridge run and the trees off of it

powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Not bad, considering you were mounting them at 10 this morning...

Looks shockingly manageable on ice. I think Splat needs some good photos of these, still have my address?

Shit Splat... I thought this was supposed to be a Pow ski.. not a gd hardpack railer

Looking forward to pow (dork) beta..
    'To quote my bro
    "We're not K2. We're a bunch of maggots running one press at full steam building killer fukkin skis and putting smiles on our friends' faces." ' - skifishbum '08

"Adios Hugh you asshole" - Ghostofcarl '14

believe...

it was a ton of fun on the groomers. definitely not a slalom ski and you need some room to let it get up to speed to take advantage of the large turn radius, but it skids turns fine too. going in with low expectations, i was blown away by how it handled the icy bumps.
    east coast ski maybe??

Expecting to put a pair to work in der Schweiz next week.

I'd do some Vermont testing. I have a pair of 185 Cochise's that I could compare them to.

We're going to fling 20 pair out to testers worldwide to get this ski on the snow everywhere. Just send $950 for shipping to sales@pmgear.com and we'll let you know when they're on the way!

If only I had a job...
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

got 'em out late this afternoon today in some boot cuff pow with soft serve underneath. they performed great in the pow. the bindings did not. kind of had a feeling though since they're not compatible with my boots and the toe wings were pretty much maxed out getting my boot in. jumped off some things resulting in double ejection and rejection. plus it was just one backcountry lap.

I totally forgot about this. Zak you should have brought these on our trip over the weekend!

^^ they will be tested thoroughly this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by kevino View Post
    I totally forgot about this. Zak you should have brought these on our trip over the weekend!
    I really wish I could have. I think they would have had better edge hold for the windblown sections and been quicker on the luge-track out. But they're not actually mine, so I have to mount them with demo binders.

Full report to follow after this weekend.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Did those get a fresh edge bevel, Zak? If not, I advise it.
    My wheel is out of balance and scalloping the bevel.
    Don't know if powdork sharpened his edges but did say he'd done some detuning.
    just the standard tip and tail edge detune. since i've been skiing the lhasas i always do it since the big shovel/pintail combo can make them hooky if you don't prior to their maiden voyage on anything firm or grippy. and pretty much even powder runs start out on firm and grippy.
    auvgeek, i think i found them to have more edge control than the lhasas on firm snow and ice probably since the area around the foot is more in play. of course i was also comparing new edges to not as new edges.

so Pat,

you are saying I am going to have a 124 waisted daily driver next year???

Good thing I am poor right now.
    A woman reported to police at 6:30 p.m. that she was being "smart-mouthed."

Yes, mate, but you know I do over the summer layaways for guys like you.

Thanks for trying to squeeze those AT boots in the demo bindings, powdork. Hey, what's the balance point like on them? Maybe otto parts can say something about that. He skied his yesterday. I ask because I think you've skied the splatulas, where the rocker effect of constantly trying to find your balance point was too constant due to too much rocker...Today should be a good day for the Kusalas.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Thanks for trying to squeeze those AT boots in the demo bindings, powdork. Hey, what's the balance point like on them? Maybe otto parts can say something about that. He skied his yesterday. I ask because I think you've skied the splatulas, where the rocker effect of constantly trying to find your balance point was too constant due to too much rocker...Today should be a good day for the Kusalas.
    I'm not getting that feeling on the splatula. I skied a bunch of runs on mine Friday and did back to back runs with my 192's. They want a lighter touch and you don't drive them but staying centered and even having loose buckles worked great even in seriously cut up pow.

A couple people reported that about the splatulas; musta been the mount points. Where you at for the bcl, Jed?
    With the lower rocker profile, I don't see it as an issue whatsoever on the Kusalas, but being buried in the shop and not getting out on them yet, I'm curious...

On the line ~104 from the tip. Hard to be exact with the bindings on though. I was going to play around with mount point with the jester demo's but didn't feel like I needed to. They're getting dynafits as soon as I get skins for them.
    1045mm with the bindings off.
    Last edited by Chugachjed; 02-20-2013 at 04:31 PM.

I'm kinda in awe how 124's can slay ice like that, I wouldn't have believed it without watching the vid. I thought the 187 and 191 fats were versatile, but a 124? yowza

Yesterday was 4-6" over icy crust, and despite this they were a blast.
    Plenty of float to run flat and stay above the ice, and whether it's the ski or the kickass tune from the Peruvian, they had no issue going from soft to crust and back-totally stable.
    The CF/fiberglass blend means they are damped but lively-none of the planky feel of the Ren despite tham being pretty damn stiff. Like the Ren they want to go fast, yet shut down easily.
    Auv will be a better judge, but I think they also have a super high speed limit (like none my fat ass will find), yet a bit easier to turn and shut down speed. 99cm from tip fwiw.
    Life of a repo man is always intense.

Damn, I hadn't watched those videos until now, makes the ski even more enticing. Here I thought I was set with a two ski quiver. Then if Pat makes a skinny bro (long shot, we can dream) I'm going to be all BRO'D OUT.

mounted them with dynafits at about 995 back, got out in about a foot of heavy pow today. as you would expect these pretty much slayed it. love having the support in the rear for the landings. was skiing mostly trees and smaller zones so didn't really get a chance to get them up to full speed yet. that day will come soon though. the only downside i can see is that i now need new skins.

"get them out in some pow" Pat says.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post

"get them out in some pow" Pat says.
    Kusala Wow!
    'To quote my bro
    "We're not K2. We're a bunch of maggots running one press at full steam building killer fukkin skis and putting smiles on our friends' faces." ' - skifishbum '08

"Adios Hugh you asshole" - Ghostofcarl '14

believe...