Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Cool I'm a 302, so it will probably work as I'd rather try em in the BC than on a resort pow day when racing for pow, but if it does not work out I'll take you up on your offer Otto, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    in the video, powdork's landings look stiff and the tip barely deflects.

If you wanna see absolute hilarity, have me click into his binders with my 306 BSL boots!
    i'm always down for absolute hilarity. doesn't mean i'm gonna fruit boot it while you ski though.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

you can ski my featherweight Prax BCs that are about 1/2 as stiff and only 180 cm

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

omg they're practically snowlerblades!
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

any reason this wouldn't be about the ideal one-ski quiver w/dynadukes or F10/12?
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

That's pretty much what we're after, Tye. A lot of guys asked me to make a renegade type ski that would be light enough for touring and strong enough for everyday resort skiing and be good in every condition. So we'll continue with the Kusala, encouraged by the initial reviews, and offer it up later in a pure carbon layup for the weight weenies who'd like it even lighter. Hell, we might even do it in all glass for the guys who like the weight on their feet.

The pair for Switzerland arrived last night. Should have them on the mountain by Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    A lot of guys asked me to make a renegade type ski that would be light enough for touring and strong enough for everyday resort skiing and be good in every condition.
    Hmmm, I thought that was the rocker-tipped carbon BRO 179s with a semi twin tail and some flashy tops!

Here's a product placement on Airplane of the 179 BROs in Carbon. (wish I had the sporty red tops and not the prototypes.... )

And, here is another on Left Gully.

BTW, 120mm underfoot seems to be a sweet spot for a big mountain pow ski that deals also with steep and icy...lots of Volkl Shiros or similar around Cham this season.... but my 187 BROs work pretty damn well...
    Last edited by jumpturn; 03-01-2013 at 12:18 PM.

Hell, we might even do it in all glass for the guys who like the weight on their feet.
    Now were talking
    You dont stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing

Thanks for the comparisons vs 191 fat. Kusala is an intriguing ski, any chance these will make an appearance at the mammoth mini?

What is the possibility of getting one made that's 1cm narrower across the board. For those of us who thought the hoji should have been more like the renegade, and lighter. I would throw down the cash for that ski. I really think my ideal ski would be a reverse camber tongue depressor. That's kinda what these look like.

Quote Originally Posted by Piggity View Post
    Thanks for the comparisons vs 191 fat. Kusala is an intriguing ski, any chance these will make an appearance at the mammoth mini?
    Absolutely. I have been wondering when yogachik would call the mini.. (?)

Quote Originally Posted by JRainey View Post
    What is the possibility of getting one made that's 1cm narrower across the board. For those of us who thought the hoji should have been more like the renegade, and lighter. I would throw down the cash for that ski. I really think my ideal ski would be a reverse camber tongue depressor. That's kinda what these look like.
    Everyone wants that ideal ski spec'd to their own idea of what would be the ultimate, but few are willing to pay what it costs to set up and build it. If you're serious, pm me and we can talk.

Bring a few extra knees too so i can properly test drive them, thanks.

I'll be at KW wed/thurs for some fresh if anybody wants to try (along with the Splatster).

See my Rens for sale in Gear Swap? That's my review.
    Life of a repo man is always intense.

Quote Originally Posted by otto parts View Post

See my Rens for sale in Gear Swap? That's my review.
    NIP Rens are they not? Have you actually skied the Ren because i would love to hear how they compare..
    You dont stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing

Vanisle-have two pair of Rens, first year at 87.5 with sollies and second pair 11/12 nippy (whic I bought because I thought they had more rocker).
    Really liked the 10/11s(for all the same reasons as everyone else-they charge, pivot, and rail) but thought the tip could have a bit more rocker for float. Also felt the tip could be a bit softer and the ski a bit less "planky". Think 4frnt somewhat agreed as the tip was damped and softened a bit, and the Owl version is clearly softer and poppier than previous iterations. The Kusala is super similar in what the Ren does well, but fixes my "feel" issue. I just plain like PMG's light yet damped construction (which is why I have bought something like 5 pair of Lhasa variants) better, and it is about 1/2 lb lighter while just as stiff overall. Actually the tip is slightly softer, while the mid and tail stiffer-which I prefer as well.
    Life of a repo man is always intense.

Quote Originally Posted by BaNosser View Post
    Kusala Dimension:
    • Length: 186cm
    • Dim: 133.2 / 124 / 129.4 mm
    • Radius: approximately 30m
    • Pintail profile: 0.4°
    • Front rocker length: 460mm
    • Front rocker height: 23.7mm (including the front reverse camber)
    • Rear rocker length: 390mm
    • Rear rocker height: 13.1mm (including the rear reverse camber)
    • Front end height: 90mm
    • Rear end height: 30mm
    Splat, what is your design rationale for these dimensions?

Why not, say, 164-132-139 (26m at 185) or, proportionately up, 141-132-137?

FYI, the 1st dims were great charging the grand envers on 2m of pow without any hooking.

Of course, they are not far off 135-122-129!
    Last edited by jumpturn; 03-05-2013 at 04:18 PM.

Huh?

Oooohh.....

Pierre Du France says the sidecut interacts with the reverse rocker of the ski for max orgasmic output.

seeing the words Splat and design rationale next to each other is kinda funny...

just keep FKNA'ing around with what's in your head that minute brother!
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by jumpturn View Post
    Splat, what is your design rationale for these dimensions?

Why not, say, 164-132-139 (26m at 185) or, proportionately up, 141-132-137?
    Why are you fixated on something 132 underfoot and with a shorter turn radius?
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    seeing the words Splat and design rationale next to each other is kinda funny...
    Felt the need to 'break on through to the other side' there for a moment...

Actually, Pierre all but wrote a book on the design of the Kusala, explaining his reasoning in simulations for the elliptical core's strength in rockered designs and he envisioned exactly how the reverse rocker interacted with the sidecut. It's all very well thought out. Though I do love throwing darts...

But when you ask me, it's 'max orgasmic output.'

I'm pretty much all for that...
    'To quote my bro
    "We're not K2. We're a bunch of maggots running one press at full steam building killer fukkin skis and putting smiles on our friends' faces." ' - skifishbum '08

"Adios Hugh you asshole" - Ghostofcarl '14

believe...

splat, I don't care about all that crap... let's go ski!!!

Felt the need to 'break on through to the other side' there for a moment...

Actually, Pierre all but wrote a book on the design of the Kusala, explaining his reasoning in simulations for the elliptical core's strength in rockered designs and he envisioned exactly how the reverse rocker interacted with the sidecut. It's all very well thought out. Though I do love throwing darts...

My question was why not fatten this ski up proportionately another 8mm.

I think there is a diminishing return at some point...additionally the added mass for those touring would be cumbersome as well. These are just my opinions of course. I think the dimensions are great. After touring around on praxis pow boards earlier this winter I can appreciate the aforementioned facts a little better. Once I get out of grad school and start making money I'd love to get a pair of these. And front Pat with enough money to make some skinny BROs! haha