Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Noooooooo. This is why I avoid tech talk, so I don't make me think I need new skis! I have my Fats and my 186s packed nicely for a cheeky week in Yurp (Switzerland mostly) and now I am wishing I had room for a 3rd pair...
    Days on snow this season: 54 Last Season: 83

www.poachninja.com

Quote Originally Posted by lobstahmeatwad View Post
    rocker camber pics at all??
    Will get them posted tomorrow night. Quite similar to the Renegade though.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by otto parts View Post
    damn good looking skis and terrific fit and finish. Super nice job, Splat!
    How was the tune? The amount of sidewall material spackling the back of the shop was fairly impressive.

-guy with beard wielding p-tex

yessssssss

We were hammered for time to get those first two pair out to slc. I was finishing a bunch of orders that had to ship while building a mold on the fly and had to do a makeover on the press to accommodate the reverse camber block. The press had a solid lam 8mm camber block beneath the steel plate that is the bottom of the bottom part of the press. The camber block for positive camber was was removed and plate steel cut and installed beneath the solid plate that spans across the press to level it out. Once we had the new camber block laminated and sanded, we thought a fresh new heating pad was in order for a fresh new ski.

I was sick as shit while getting this all wrapped up and got a shot of the skis after they got cut out on the band saw and were still quite rough, but with a FedEx deadline looming, didn't get a finished shot of the side profile. But here's a couple shots to give you guys an idea of it.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Will get them posted tomorrow night. Quite similar to the Renegade though.
    Wanna see please
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinalTap View Post
    I'm really troubled by whatever pictures the Don had to search through to arrive at that one...

Waiting eagerly
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinalTap View Post
    I'm really troubled by whatever pictures the Don had to search through to arrive at that one...

Don, this is the stiffer pair I believe.

Life of a repo man is always intense.

Took pictures with my iPhone, but they don't show the subtleties of the rocker at all. Not even worth posting. Will try to get some real pictures up soon.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

The ones I grabbed and mounted have the more trippy 45/45 weave.

Preliminary review because of time and condition restraints.
    Skis I like:Bro 183, Lhasa 191, DPS RPC, Renegade 186, Cochise 185

Everyone who grabbed them was impressed with the weight, about 4.6 lbs.
    Really a nice balance between light and beefy enough to hit the crud (we were skiing 4 days after a 35" dump of heavier snow). Charges and busts crud like the Ren for example, but less planky feel especially in the tip. Tip has a nice, progressive flex (unlike the Renegade) that Splat does so well. Underfoot and tail pretty stiff-about the same as my 191 stiff Lhasas.

Carving on the groomers was surprisingly good, as good or better than Rens (think Auv thought better).
    For comparison, carving was better with fresh tune than ToraToraTora's 186 Lhasas with dulled edges.
    While not what I'd pick on a icy day, but you weren't fighting them to get down and the lively but not dry feel made them feel fine on this stuff. The RPC's carve a little better, but are not nearly as damped so I'd say a wash. I remain convinced the CF/fiberglass blend is state of the art in terms of feel.

Subtle rocker means they ski their length. Jondrums is a bigger guy and think they were plenty stable for him (as well as Auv who also charges).

I think Splat has several more cores left, maybe he can post pricing. Can't wait to try in some pow, but right now they work pretty well in not so optimum conditions so have to believe they will rip in untracked. After the second run ToraToraTora bought a pair.

As much as I've liked my Rens these seem to have the few tweaks I've wanted and are even a touch wider. Since it looks like AK Heliskiing just got their permit, will have a bit better (as in better than none-my bad, Splat ) action shots next month.
    Last edited by otto parts; 02-06-2013 at 07:38 PM.

I took them out for an afternoon at alta. I had a blast. With only an afternoon under my feet, I can't post a full review except that they worked well for me on packed groomers, cut up pow, bumps, and small airs. so light!

not exactly 1000oaks picture quality, but this is the softer pair I grabbed with slightly more subtle rocker.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0632.jpg 
Views:	371 
Size:	1,000.2 KB 
ID:	132434

Name:	IMG_0629.jpg 
Views:	407 
Size:	1,004.7 KB 
ID:	132435

Name:	IMG_0634.jpg 
Views:	546 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	132436
    Last edited by otto parts; 02-11-2013 at 12:57 PM.

Thanks for the pics otto... The mounting point looks fairly centered.. esp when compared to the L120.. Have you been able to get out on them anymore? How bout you Auv..? Looking forward to some additional beta (and confirmation on mounting point) when you get some time away from work and Stevens has some fresh..

Thanks guys.. and thanks Splat
    'To quote my bro
    "We're not K2. We're a bunch of maggots running one press at full steam building killer fukkin skis and putting smiles on our friends' faces." ' - skifishbum '08

"Adios Hugh you asshole" - Ghostofcarl '14

believe...

Quote Originally Posted by BaNosser View Post
    How bout you Auv..? Looking forward to some additional beta (and confirmation on mounting point) when you get some time away from work and Stevens has some fresh..
    Actually been skiing a bunch lately. Fresh snow would be nice, but mainly just waiting for binders with which to mount them. Otto Parts was kind enough to send me a pair of demo binders, so I hope to get them mounted this weekend and get feedback for you guys within the next week or so. Definitely let me know if/when you want to ski them!

photos

powdork is picking up a pair of Kusalas with demos today and he'll have the bcl fingered out shortly, then he'll flip bindings to dynafit for bc usage. Just getting over the sick, whatever it was, and pressing Kusalas again. Gotta get a couple pair shipped to Europe asap. Have to flip to 187s tomorrow and then come back to the Kusalas. Then on to the 186 Fats.

don't need more skis... don't need more skis... don't need more skis... Got to keep telling myself.

Anybody want to buy some splatulas???? Only 5 runs ever!
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Anybody want to buy some splatulas???? Only 5 runs ever!
    don't need more skis... don't need more skis... don't need more skis... Got to keep telling myself.
    If I reverse your words they somehow become my words.

Anyone want to buy some Praxis Pows sunset graphic with Sth 16's so I can buy the above or some Kusala's?

Quote Originally Posted by otto parts View Post
    The ones I grabbed and mounted have the more trippy 45/45 weave.

Preliminary review because of time and condition restraints.
    Skis I like:Bro 183, Lhasa 191, DPS RPC, Renegade 186, Cochise 185

Everyone who grabbed them was impressed with the weight, about 4.6 lbs.
    Really a nice balance between light and beefy enough to hit the crud (we were skiing 4 days after a 35" dump of heavier snow). Charges and busts crud like the Ren for example, but less planky feel especially in the tip. Tip has a nice, progressive flex (unlike the Renegade) that Splat does so well. Underfoot and tail pretty stiff-about the same as my 191 stiff Lhasas.

Carving on the groomers was surprisingly good, as good or better than Rens (think Auv thought better).
    For comparison, carving was better with fresh tune than ToraToraTora's 186 Lhasas with dulled edges.
    While not what I'd pick on a icy day, but you weren't fighting them to get down and the lively but not dry feel made them feel fine on this stuff. The RPC's carve a little better, but are not nearly as damped so I'd say a wash. I remain convinced the CF/fiberglass blend is state of the art in terms of feel.

Subtle rocker means they ski their length. Jondrums is a bigger guy and think they were plenty stable for him (as well as Auv who also charges).

I think Splat has several more cores left, maybe he can post pricing. Can't wait to try in some pow, but right now they work pretty well in not so optimum conditions so have to believe they will rip in untracked. After the second run ToraToraTora bought a pair.

As much as I've liked my Rens these seem to have the few tweaks I've wanted and are even a touch wider. Since it looks like AK Heliskiing just got their permit, will have a bit better (as in better than none-my bad, Splat ) action shots next month.
    So would you say the one line review is a "lighter, more lively/active renegade?" Maybe slightly more turny as well?

Just saying if my splats go away and kusalas arrive they'll get demo jesters and Dynafits...

Maybe I should wait until I get a job before I read this thread again.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    Just saying if.. kusalas arrive they'll get demo jesters and Dynafits...
    werd... Really wish the JesterFit plates would hit the make it happen number...
    'To quote my bro
    "We're not K2. We're a bunch of maggots running one press at full steam building killer fukkin skis and putting smiles on our friends' faces." ' - skifishbum '08

believe...

Quote Originally Posted by bsavery View Post
    So would you say the one line review is a "lighter, more lively/active renegade?" Maybe slightly more turny as well?
    Definitely lighter and more lively.

Banosser-Best guess on mount is 99 or 98 from tip, so definitely more centered.

I didn't ride them but they were grade A l the build.
    Splat did you disinfect them before you sent? If not you owe me about 4 boxes of Kleenex and 10 rolls of toilet paper! I must have caught your bug loving those sticks up strong
    Just a tip to help improve your manufacture process

Thanks otto...

Looking at Baker & the Buttes right now from my office window.. there isn't a cloud in site.. of course I'm stuck here for the day Way too beautiful a day to be working..
    'To quote my bro

believe...

Hey, guys that preordered. I wasn't expecting the response these have generated and yesterday discovered we were out of topsheets for them, so I have ordered more and they'll be here soon. I had a couple Euro orders I was able to build then had to flip to 187 Fats while waiting for the tops. But there's a sunny side to all this....I ordered the new tops with the same color blue as the 186 Lhasas had this year, so they're gonna look great. Got the layups all worked out with the new carbon (which looks schweeeeet) so ya'll gonna get the best of the best. Thanks for waiting. I'll be haulin' ass to get them out. March is still a big pow month.

No prob Splat... blue huh!! FKNA!

good things come...
    'To quote my bro

believe...