Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast
    ^^
    Carbon Stiff i believe, minimal rocker.
    Those Schizos are actually fairly light, but yea that ski is so burly for its weight.
    Glad you enjoyed em Shafty, will get you on the Lhasas this weekend...
    You dont stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing

Quote Originally Posted by vanisle View Post
    ^^
    Carbon Stiff i believe, minimal rocker.
    Those Schizos are actually fairly light, but yea that ski is so burly for its weight.
    Glad you enjoyed em Shafty, will get you on the Lhasas this weekend...
    Sweet, man. Thanks - I should be up there Fri afternoon until Sunday. Let me know if you'll be up there.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Those were the hybrid glass and carbon, Shafty. Some of the very first and they were pretty much ultra stiff. I thinned the core a bit because it was designed for only one sheet of fiberglass top and bottom. I'm coming up on some pure carbon Kusalas soon and they are the truly light version.

Same flex that I have, Pat?

Yes, Lindahl. Same flex, first batch.

For my Kusala bruhs... PSA: new Marker 132 brakes $25
    Last edited by BaNosser; 11-06-2014 at 11:38 AM.
    'To quote my bro
    "We're not K2. We're a bunch of maggots running one press at full steam building killer fukkin skis and putting smiles on our friends' faces." ' - skifishbum '08

"Adios Hugh you asshole" - Ghostofcarl '14

believe...

We're really dialing the skis in at the new factory. The camber, flex and rocker is now dialed on the pure carbon Byas and the pure carbon weight is coming in at 1625g per ski. The Lhasas go next, then we'll be pressing Kusalas in 2-3 weeks. Focusing on the pow skis first in anticipation of big dumps when it comes. But since the Byas are the newest ski in the quiver, we wanted to get them out for more widespread reviews asap. So....early December delivery on the next batch of Kusalas.

Saw that too. Picked a pair last night.
    Quote Originally Posted by BaNosser View Post
    For my Kusala bruhs... PSA: new Marker 132 brakes $25

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Could these dethrone my Billygoats? Stoked for this winter! Curious to see if they stomp as well... that's a big if...
    They stomp great. But there is room in the quiver for both the kusalas and the billy goats. Unless your billy goats are 13/14 in a 186. Then you should sell them. To me. $100 and a pack of bacon
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

PM Gear Kusala pow

As of the end of last season, I think the Kusalas stomp better. Need more time on them both, this season though, to be sure. I'd have lots of testing done by now, but we got a major raincrust on Wed. Gonna be a while before that gets sufficiently buried to get into the 30' range again. Got huckneck off a 15'er on Saturday - didn't think that was possible! Rain in a Colorado winter - fuck me! Thought I left that shit behind when I left Seattle. I think the Billygoats work a little better as a resort powder ski though.

Had my first day on these about a week ago finally. Waited all year last year for a set of bindings to come in and they arrived too late as I was out of town a lot shooting.
    Kusala pow über stiff flex. Mount point 99.5 from tip. Full reverse camber. Mounted with beasts.
    Worst conditions imaginable to try the ski. Icy, rutted, refreeze not softening up horrible conditions. Some of the worst conditions I've skied in years. Basically stuck to groomers most of the day.

For full reverse camber 124 underfoot ski these did much better than I expected on the groomers. I actually had some fun. Carved big wide open turns. Little quick slidy, surfy slashes spraying snow off the sides of runs. I think it will be vital to keep the edges underfoot sharp. Definitely require a more "balanced" stance than a lhasa pow. The lhasa is definitely a better hard pack ski because of the narrower waist and flat/or slight camber. It carves big super g turns with more confidence and power. I.e. the lhasa pow at 112 underfoot is a better one ski quiver.

With that said I am pleasantly surprised by the kusalas performance on ice. I thought it was going to be a shitshow and it is actually decent. Looking forward to trying them in their intended conditions, but for now the kusalas exceeded my expectations and if we get back to the regular whistler conditions of pow and variable soft snow these are probably going to be my everyday driver.

Pat I think there is room for a kusala at 114ish underfoot. Less strain on the knees for inbounds skiing compared to the 124. I might consider making it underfoot slight camber or flat camber with reverse in the tip and tail and add one or two mm's to the the tip and tail sidecut for better hardpack performance, but keep the more centred mount so the swing weight stays low on them. Basically the exact same ski but narrower and slight tweaks so it runs better on hard snow. Keep this big ski as is. It works. I think for the majority of skiers the lower swing weight, more centred mount compared to something like a lhasa is a big deal. Less fatigue, easier to manage, quicker to throw around in the trees and tight spaces. Then you have a two ski quiver for out west, europe, etc that has the same skiing styles and balance points. I.e. switching between lhasas and kusalas requires a change in ski style. In conclusion the kusalas are a blast.

Did I mention how light these things are for a big and stiff ski? Pat you really need to put some weights up on your website because that is a big selling point.

The new rig in all it's glory. They look good!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1421346332.308341.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	760.7 KB 
ID:	162744
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1421346373.326101.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	760.5 KB 
ID:	162745

Thx Atrain, been waiting for conditions to get mine out since I have been looking at them for couple months. Sounds great, may just take them for a spin this weekend on the hardpack.
    watch out for snakes

Been out a couple times in the backcountry, spectacular. Super light, stable, quick.

Have also skied with the kids inbounds, a lot of fun. Pivot to switch is effortless. Great edge hold.

Killing it with the 3-5 year old crowd!
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by Atrain505 View Post
    The new rig in all it's glory. They look good!
    That looks like WAY more tip splay than my pair (too much, imo). Odd photo angle?

The tails are pinched more together by the brakes, Lindahl.

Ya lindahl. They are full reverse camber. So depending on where you press the bases together they can look like a lot of tip splay or vice a versa a lot of tail splay. In this case that pressure is basically where the heels are. If you lay the skis on the ground they have beautiful smooth gradual full reverse which should be the absolute tits in pow! Cannot wait!

I need to put more miles on mine.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

well traveled stickers, nioce

git on it
    watch out for snakes

I'm got an day on an pair SFB loaned me. Not deep or super light pow, but some pow none the less an they were great. Easiest pow ski I have ever been on. So floaty and turny that they were nearly effortless to ride. Handled frozen, buried bumps well for such as wide ski.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Guess what just found it's way to my house?

A pair of Pure Kusalas with a layer of rubber.

I searched for this thread and read the first response from more than three years ago:

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    hmmm ...
    amusing.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

watch out for snakes

Got on my recently. Loved them in the boot deep recycled pow. Loved them on te up track. Super fun in the 4-8" of fluff on crust in tight low able low coverage stream bed. Could still go fast with confidence I ease of turning. Stopping and slowing was a different issue as the crust was pretty icy. But they turned on a dime. Now, if we could just get a winter to develop.

have yet to mount mine.
    strained my ACL/PCL ~2 weeks ago.

I do have some Ions in the house that are aimed at then though.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...