Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpturn View Post
    .....I'm getting the edges set at 90° with 1° on the bases. The idea is to get more edge engagement on steep boiler plate getting to the pow.....
    PM Gear's are shipped with a 1,88 so setting them to 1,90 will take life off the edge & give you less engagement. If you want more engagement you need to go to 1,87 (=1,3). I set all my skis (Bros, Llasa Pows, WD Rangers, CD3C's) to 1,87 full length & reckon it's great for Yurp conditions. And if the rockers are a bit hooky add a touch more base edge angle at the contact points rather than detuning.

For a leash attachment on the Beasts I'm thinking of using an M5 eyelet directly into to the ski using an inserts so I can switch it between skis with the bindings.
    Last edited by Spyderjon; 01-06-2014 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jumpturn View Post
    The kusalas proved themselves ready for the Grand Envers today. Handled wind slab, hard pack bits, killed the thigh deep pow, busted a bit of crust, hucked a rock/ice slab, navigated some mogulish terrain, toured a bit without skins, tracked the exit track, hucked some ice, and scraped into montenvers. Pretty much every condition. Hit some good rocks here and there to break these beauties in as Chamonix skis.

Beasts worked fine. Kind of fiddly to step into. Still working out a leash scheme.

The skis are so light for a big ski that you have to ski them well. They do jump turns well. Come around really fast. Straight lined with good authority for such a light ski. They really liked the 80cm of pow. Railed tracks without much squireliness. Basically, one hell of an AT set up.

Now, I'm getting the edges set at 90° with 1° on the bases. The idea is to get more edge engagement on steep boiler plate getting to the pow.

No photos but here are some poser shots.

jt - A hand honed 3 degree side bevel would give you better purchase on the ice. It increases the angle and is thus sharper.
    I believe some Atomics used to and maybe still get up to a 7 degree bevel just for that reason.

Ok. Thanks. I'm going to stick with 88° for the time being.

Here's a photo from sunday. The kusala tracks are far right in the photo.
    Last edited by jumpturn; 01-07-2014 at 01:53 AM.

A few words about the kusala.

186 Kusala hybrid mounted with guardian @99,5 from tip.

Me, 35 y/o 5´8, 150. skiing since I was 8. Decent skier.

Conditions: Niseko and Rusutsu. Very few groomed runs. Otherwise between 8 and 20" pow and some tracked out pow.

Skied a few groomers the first night out without doing anything to the skis and they felt really grabby. Detuned with a lift pole since rocks were hard to come by. After that they felt way better and actually quite fun. Normally don´t ski skis with this long a turn radius but the kusalas radius didn´t feel too long.

When they really shine is in anything soft. Haven´t had any time skiing open spaces but a lot of time in the trees. Pat asked me after having seen a photo of a place I skied down in if I had to brake a lot off branches going down. There really was no need. The kusalas are super quick and oh so nimble. Just point them and go, and if anything comes in your way, throw them sideways (they turn on a dime) and keep going.

I would have liked to try a pair with a little more tip splay just to compare but all in all I think Pat nailed it with this one.

just put a few shots together if anyone is interested to see how they handle....

Kusalas have been skiing well off The midi. They are no more skittery on refrozen tracks than dynastar pro riders. They certainly schralp the pow and cut wind crust better. This week should yield more pow testing and yes, after lounging around and drinking at the Requin Hut, the training is the forced march up the stairs to catch the last train at 16:30 or face a 5k ski-hike back to town... some decent descent photos.

Here are some poor quality photos from the Toula Glacier.

Last edited by jumpturn; 01-12-2014 at 11:06 AM.

^^^nice!!!
    had 'em out today at Targhee with no vis, and 5" of slabby windblown fun. Love these in the junk, and am finally super comfortable with them on groomers/firm. Starting to wonder if i need to keep the Lhasa's, as these are starting to feel like a one-ski quiver...

[had a random thought straightlining them today....i bet fkn Splat grew up racing...these fuckers are fast!!]
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

^^^ I have not found a speed limit on pow yet. No hooking. I've been ripping turns on the meadow skipping. They just feel a little balancy. Hope to test them out on some 4.3s in the next few days.

But, they did augur in on the toula in some massive drift.

Maybe we will eventually get some decent shots now that my partner with a camera is getting over his ankle issue....for now you're stuck with tracks and blurs... Of course, now we have a bunch of snow coming, and so you may be stuck with white room pix.

Kusala tracks on the top of the Combe de la Noire, January 15, 2014.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    F K N A
    Dem skis KUSLAED
    The shit out of da Kootknees pow
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Gonna mount mine up soon. 4.1, 3.9 or 3.6 bit?

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Gonna mount mine up soon. 4.1, 3.9 or 3.6 bit?
    go 3.6, 3.9 if that's all you got, Lindahl. Set them in epoxy

Stupid weather here is keeping me off the Kusalas. Been raining for a fucking week.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    Stupid weather here is keeping me off the Kusalas. Been raining for a fucking week.
    the rain here has stopped... now it's just a fkn inversion with 40-50 degree weather up at elevation....
    'To quote my bro
    "We're not K2. We're a bunch of maggots running one press at full steam building killer fukkin skis and putting smiles on our friends' faces." ' - skifishbum '08

"Adios Hugh you asshole" - Ghostofcarl '14

believe...

what a fun day...9+ at the Ghee...

my new mantra on the Kusala's...

--intuitive as fuck--

you can quote me on that...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

So stoked to get on mine! What have you guys been mounting at?

the line

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    the line
    my line was at 100 pulled straight.. mounted at 99.5

finally getting some snow.. Hopefully will get out on these next week
    'To quote my bro
    "We're not K2. We're a bunch of maggots running one press at full steam building killer fukkin skis and putting smiles on our friends' faces." ' - skifishbum '08

believe...

Quote Originally Posted by BaNosser View Post
    my line was at 100 pulled straight.. mounted at 99.5

finally getting some snow.. Hopefully will get out on these next week
    line was 99.7...same ballpark...

From the tail, I assume?

^^^ pretty sure that pat usually measures from the tip as he spends more time finishing the tip than the tail.

at least that was the case with my 191 lhasa fats.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

tip

'To quote my bro

believe...

99.5 has been money for everyone, Lindahl.
    99.7 for deeper pow if you'd like.

Er yeah, tip. From the tail would be one waaaay forward mount.

Not really breaking new ground here, but finally putting a review up. I got one of the early pairs that are maybe a little stiffer and less rocker than the later ones? Splat can confirm. Mounted on line.

Basically these things kill it. Go read a review of the renegades, and everything good about that plus more. They seem a bit more nimble (lighter, shorter radius). MUCH lighter, call me a wuss but at the end of a hard day on renegades my legs are tired. Kusalas are plenty stiff. Maybe a touch less directionally stable in straightline charging through crud than the renegades, but I don't charge like Hoji. Neither do you. They're a little more forgiving weight position wise than the renegades, and more eager to slarve. For what I was looking for, something in between the DPS 112 and the renegade with the width, these are perfect. BTW if you're trying to envision the flex, I would put it somewhere between a DPS pure and the 4frnt. All in all a great ski. Light enough for short tours, and BTW the 4frnt precut skins fit great.

Cons? I have an earlier pair, and sounds like the weight came down a bit, definitely lighter than renegades, but not super light. The snow does stick a bit to the black topsheet.

Cool, bsavery. I'm stoked you're stoked!

Got a batch of pure carbon Kusalas coming up for pressing in the next couple of weeks. With an even wider selection of carbon weaves to utilize this year, I can adjust the flex to anyone's liking, from downright flexy to Renegade stiff and the weight is down around 4 lbs. per ski. Maggot price is down now as well. If you have something in mind, gimme a shout and I'll blow your mind.