Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
    Me too Lindahl my wife and kids have been sick for almost 2 weeks and it's keeping me confined to the house. I've had a couple days on these beautiful sticks but not nearly enough.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

I couldn't believe how great the soft carbon Kusalas skied what the Sierra is currently holding, which is man made mixed with natural snow refrozen and groomerized. I would really like to loan them out for some other people's feedback. Mounted solly demos on them, threw a centerline down at 100 cm and skied them on the line most of the day. Found I had to drive them, feel the boot tongue on my shin to get the most out of them. Dialed them forward to what looked like about 95.3, not quite a cm, on the demo clicks. Very different ski; easier, more centered all the way around, from my stance to the way the ski edged, ie, more evenly feathered along the contact edge. Which is why most everyone on them thinks 99.5 is money.

Put otto parts on them for a run through the rock and ice that was left after noon. What we both noted was the surety of the edging and the lack of any chatter. They weren't bouncy at all, even in the icy bumps. They were damn damp for carbon skis.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    By the look of it and the numbers gonna be a nice ski! We ever get some more snow I'd like to get on a pair.

Was pretty shocked at how damp they were for all cf. Not too different from the
    hybrid cf/fg normal PM mix I'm a big proponent of. At 4 lbs apiece for a 124 waist, holy joe....
    Life of a repo man is always intense.

Now that the wifey's Christmas sticks have been mounted and unwrapped.. I'll be able to get to these bitches.. has been/will be killer busy thru the Holiday season but then I'll get these up in Baker area pow, chop & crud... As I posted before these all carbones have the sweetest flex to them... they feel like a hybrid and feel like they'll ski like a hybrid but:
    Quote Originally Posted by otto parts View Post
    At 4 lbs apiece for a 124 waist, holy joe....
    what otto said....

Oh and Merry Merry to the Bro family
    Last edited by BaNosser; 12-26-2013 at 08:07 AM.
    'To quote my bro
    "We're not K2. We're a bunch of maggots running one press at full steam building killer fukkin skis and putting smiles on our friends' faces." ' - skifishbum '08

"Adios Hugh you asshole" - Ghostofcarl '14

believe...

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch

the big dog concurs
    with your holiday greetins and wishes
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Mounted my kusalas with beasts and finally skied them on the Toula in 25-40cm fresh. They work, although i can't be sure because the vis was really flat.

Conditions were a little variable because the sun had hit certain certain aspect the previous afternoon and the temps were quite warm.

Yet, the kusalas killed it! Nice in the fluff. Cut the minor crust zone effortlessly. Scraped the sidestepping with 124mm authority..

Not 100% on whether the vulcans can drive a big light ski like the kusalas in stop and go, but if you work your technique and stay in balance, they seem to work ok today. Maybe legs of steel would help....next week.

What are the factory edge angles?

Maybe i should sharpen the skis and wax them.... Or just wait until have a bunch of core shots...
    Last edited by jumpturn; 01-03-2014 at 01:03 PM.

Hey Jumpturn,

What exactly do you mean by stop and go?

Variable consistency snow. Some was 40cm of fluff. Other snow was heavier with a slight suncrust. As you hit the denser snow it throws your forward. These or similar conditions are found from time to time on high lines, like one day on the cosmiques last year. The key is not to go over the handle bars... Or maybe just go faster and bust on through.

Quote Originally Posted by jumpturn View Post
    What are the factory edge angles?
    Usually 1/1

I'm incredibly sad that I haven't got out on the kusalas yet. Lowest snow year ever. Very soon I will be immersed in the mountains for a solid 4 months.
    The skis just tease me at home. Leaning against the wall all seductive like.

Edges were set at 1base/2side, jumpturn. If you got ice on the high lines a hand bevel will make a dif.
    But above all, please post pics of what powder snow looks like. I think I've forgotten.
    atrain - still got that last pair of 186 Lhasa Fats I'm holding for you....

Quote Originally Posted by Atrain505 View Post
    I'm incredibly sad that I haven't got out on the kusalas yet. Lowest snow year ever. Very soon I will be immersed in the mountains for a solid 4 months.
    Mine have been pulling the same shit. But the bindings arrive today and the winter storm warning goes til 5am tomorrow. They will see pow in the next few days.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    day 4
    killin me to subject new skis to gear harshenin but leave for canada in 7 days
    my intial impressions
    filthy whoars
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Edges were set at 1base/2side....
    Ah, sorry Splat et al, should have kept my trap shut. (Mine came back from the butcher.) I thought you were doing all in 1/1.

Anyway... GOD is it a beautiful ski. Nail it to your wall when it's done for. Feels lighter than my 178 Sultan 94s!

I just compared the kusalas to my 187 "big" bros. The tip width is the same. More tip to the 187s. The mid section and tail is fatter on the kusalas. But, there is not much difference except for the rocker tail. Nonetheless, my impression is the kusalas are a little more floaty and less hooky.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrain505 View Post
    Same here. I have not even bothered to drill holes. We need some snow please.

16" in the last 48 hours....my kusala's are loving it

Finally some reasonable conditions for testing here in Whistler. They slay pow as expected but the edge hold on hard snow is no joke! Significantly more stable and predictable than the Lhasa shape. Hopefully winter sticks around.

Binders arrived, dropped them off at the shop w/Kusala's, yep, right at line...cool, they'll be ready for tomorrow! Called them back 20 minutes later after thinking they may want to know about the DoreTech layer. Cool. 'So, where did you get these? Cuz we see a variety of domestic skis but these are a whole level of quality above a lot of them'....heh...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Edges were set at 1base/2side, jumpturn. If you got ice on the high lines a hand bevel will make a dif.
    But above all, please post pics of what powder snow looks like. I think I've forgotten.
    Ok, instead of going alpine with the kuros tomorrow, i'll take the kusalas out with my photo posse and see if we can't get some pix. Not sure you'll be able to see much of the ski in the THIGH DEEP POW! Woohoo! But, maybe if i go really fast and spray up 50' rooster tails, it will convey the idea.

Edit: 1-2m of snow today and the kusalas killed it. Should have some pix coming.
    Last edited by jumpturn; 01-05-2014 at 08:21 AM.

No action shots but the Kusalas do like deep pow on dawn patrols...

mini-review

Ski- 186 KP, hybrid. No camber, flat, tail rocker seems to be more pronounced than the front, in the living room anyways. Mounted w/Axial2 120's on the line.

Skier- 6', 225, 42 years of skiing, fkn wanker. Can get down anything, but slow. 'Opening it up' is getting to speeds that groms are skiing switch into 20' airs.

Conditions: Targhee with a solid 2" of fresh medium density pow over super-holiday-hammered but well covered base.

First impression was not great, had to ski down a mini-approach to the lift, 50', but went french fry instead of wiser pizza, go to swing a turn at the corral and just about went over the handlebars. Oh boy, here we go.

Get to the top, classic Grand Foghee conditions, the next chair is visible, but not the second one up...Scratched my way down a groomer, flailed a bit but found some junk on the edges, and started getting used to the boards.

They made skiing 2" of fresh as easy and fun as 6" on other skis. Stoked! It basically took me one run to get used to them, and it was game on! Using the more centered stance, they were super easy to turn, but had great edge hold once i reweighted after the turn. Best of both worlds.

Three runs later they were solid. As expected given the heritage and HunterS-like batshit crazy builder, the faster they went the more stable they were. I still haven't found the speed limit, but need a few more days to really get 'em dialed. They didn't feel any wider than the 191 LP's, were way quicker edge to edge, and a total blast to ski...

The kusalas proved themselves ready for the Grand Envers today. Handled wind slab, hard pack bits, killed the thigh deep pow, busted a bit of crust, hucked a rock/ice slab, navigated some mogulish terrain, toured a bit without skins, tracked the exit track, hucked some ice, and scraped into montenvers. Pretty much every condition. Hit some good rocks here and there to break these beauties in as Chamonix skis.

Beasts worked fine. Kind of fiddly to step into. Still working out a leash scheme.

The skis are so light for a big ski that you have to ski them well. They do jump turns well. Come around really fast. Straight lined with good authority for such a light ski. They really liked the 80cm of pow. Railed tracks without much squireliness. Basically, one hell of an AT set up.

Now, I'm getting the edges set at 90° with 1° on the bases. The idea is to get more edge engagement on steep boiler plate getting to the pow.

No photos but here are some poser shots.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1389026011.252259.jpg 
Views:	942 
Size:	241.0 KB 
ID:	147942
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1389026113.058844.jpg 
Views:	435 
Size:	207.4 KB 
ID:	147943
    Last edited by jumpturn; 01-06-2014 at 11:36 AM.