Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    ^^^^ funny thing is they do not feel terribly stiff while riding. They are stable, but extremely nimble and not at all planky feeling. I course this is a review based on just four hours of riding. But compared to other "stiff" skis I have owned, these seemed to find the holy grail line. Stiff enough for stomps and run outs, but so easy to adjust and turn.

I agree with what both^you guys have said. When Pierre designed the core, he thought I'd be putting single layers of 22 oz. triax glass above and below the core and gauged its thickness accordingly. But when I did a lighter weight triax and added two layers of what has been our standard carbon, it was very stiff. And it skis pow and grooms fine for me as it does for ottime. But ottoparts beat me into softening it to have a broader appeal by softening it overall a bit and more so in the nose so it would rise in AK deep pow and never submarine the tips cause we all know falling in AK can be somewhat unforgiving.

To reach otto's target, which I think he was very correct in prescribing, I sanded the cores thinner last spring, changed the carbon to a cloth that has half the bundles in it and took it down to an acceptably stiff flex with a nose that will rise when submerged, thinning the tongue that goes all the way up through the the tip to make it so. And it worked. So the cores this year are over half a mm thinner and a soft flex has been achieved by switching up the layup to make them even lighter. The soft flex is still acceptably firm in the body of the ski but for lighter guys, they will find the tip rising in pow for better maneuverability in in deep pow. It's already a ski that turns when you think about it, so once people get on the skis we'll be shipping soon (and it snows), I'll be waiting to see if people echo my sentiments on it. I'll still put in the carbon that will make it stiff for guys like you two, though, if that's what someone wants.

I'm so torn do I need a stiff pair or a regular pair?! 240lbs but 100% touring.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Pat what was the build on my pair? All carbon + a little rubber? Maybe I can offer some advice to Chugachjed, coming from another 100% touring person.

Yes, four layers of carbon, Kevino.

Just got mine from Splat, aka "The Fucking Man". Beyond stoked.

Softs are "soft" for Pm Gear-plenty stiff under foot, tip just stiff enough to limit flap.
    4.33 lbs of fat carbon/fiberglass goodness. 6.5" of splay ptex to ptex. 2.5" at tail.

Stiffs are 4.53 lbs, just under 6" splay, tip has some give but maybe 15% stiffer throughout-not the 2x4's like last years stiff.
    Probably close to the newer (softer) Rens, but more progressive.

Splat, you killed it
    Life of a repo man is always intense.

Waiting with bated breath for mine.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Quote Originally Posted by otto parts View Post

Softs are "soft" for Pm Gear-plenty stiff under foot, tip just stiff enough to limit flap.
    4.33 lbs of fat carbon/fiberglass goodness. 6.5" of splay ptex to ptex. 2.5" at tail.

Splat, you killed it
    Gawd.. can't wait to get mine... but I will.. As I suspected the 'softs' will be plenty stiff

ˇMuchos gracias el hombre fornicando!!

'To quote my bro
    "We're not K2. We're a bunch of maggots running one press at full steam building killer fukkin skis and putting smiles on our friends' faces." ' - skifishbum '08

"Adios Hugh you asshole" - Ghostofcarl '14

believe...

Some rocker pics:

I suck at posting pics. They still have the protective film on them so they are all fresh until I mount them.

Last edited by otto parts; 10-30-2013 at 08:26 PM.

Otto... so what are we looking at.. are they both Kusalas? Can't see the graphics to tell.. The right pair appear to have a much more pronounced rev/rev/rocker than my initial pair.. at least the tip

stoked much?
    'To quote my bro
    "We're not K2. We're a bunch of maggots running one press at full steam building killer fukkin skis and putting smiles on our friends' faces." ' - skifishbum '08

believe...

Quote Originally Posted by BaNosser View Post
    Otto... so what are we looking at.. are they both Kusalas? Can't see the graphics to tell.. The right pair appear to have a much more pronounced rev/rev/rocker than my initial pair.. at least the tip

stoked much?
    Those on the right are the new ones? Looks like a bit more tail and tip rocker?

Softs on the right, and Splat increased the rocker per my request. The stiffs with stock rocker are prolly the ticket, as they are really what I wanted-a progressive flexing, lighter, higher tip height Renegade style ski. Stoked for sure, hard to express how sweet they are.

Infinite loop detected in JError
    All I get on pm gear's site right now. Sick skis!
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    some kusala stoke to keep this on page 1. most of it is kusala anyway
    Sweet blog, dude. No, really.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Can't beat a bit of Nacho powdog stoke

Softs on the right, and Splat increased the rocker per my request. The stiffs with stock rocker are prolly the ticket, as they are really what I wanted-a progressive flexing, lighter, higher tip height Renegade style ski. Stoked for sure, hard to express how sweet they are.
    Thanks.. that makes sense.. the stock rocker will be preferential for me.. with the tweaked slightly softer tips.. Will look forward to a report on how those customs slay it..
    'To quote my bro

believe...

Some rocker pics:
    The rocker profile comparison isn't probably that accurate. Due to reverse camber, you really have to strap the skis together in identical spots. If one pair of ski bases is touching lower, and one higher, the one touching lower will have more tip rocker and less tail rocker, and visa versa - this is because you only have one contact point (no camber). Not doing a good job of describing this, but hopefully you know what I mean.

Damn good point, Lindahl. Or put them on a very flat surface to see the rocker profile from the side.

time to drill some holes...mine are marked at 997mm straight pull from the tip (core center?)
    Have a flat camber with a Lhasa like tip and a flat tail with almost no rocker. Considering around -3. Thoughts?
    You dont stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing

FWIW, independently Powdork liked 99.5, Jondrums 98.5, and yours truly 99.
    Don't think you can go wrong in that range.

I liked 99.5. I hope that -3 is in mm.....ha. You put it wherever you like and report back. I guess a friend of yours (Peter) bought a blem pair, so you guys can compare notes.
    Shipping a bunch out tomorrow or next week, so just waiting for people to ride and review.
    Put that helmet cam on, Colin!

99.5 it is
    you want helmet cam footage of the mounting?
    You dont stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing

Not really. I was thinking something more like this....

PM Gear new website has a heartbeat...
    'To quote my bro

believe...

^^ blembump
    'To quote my bro

believe...