OK, the Rothco 9867 softshell is a completely f*****g ridiculous jacket for $64.

http://imgur.com/gallery/sGl3s

I loves me some dirtbag gear. Don't care what it looks like as long as it works.

Waterproof/breathable, pit zips, unzip-from-the-bottom zipper for skinning up, helmet compatible hood, rear skin pocket(!), decent DWR so far, and doesn't lift up at the waist when you raise your arms. This is ridiculous.

For $80 street and $64 on sale you absolutely cannot go wrong. The zippers are not YKK and the finish is a little rough.

FWIW, it zips into the Tru-Spec Gen II ECWCS shell. The shell is a bit too much - it is indeed waterproof and breathable, but holy jesus is it heavy, noisy and stiff - however it will probably never wear out. It's relegated foul-weather-let's-stand-around-for-6-hours duty.
    Last edited by coreshot-tourettes; 12-04-2012 at 09:02 PM.

Nice find, pretty sure it is a beyond tactical jacket. Probably a bunch they made for an order which was never used or issued. Money was cheep from 2006-2010

Nice, I cherish my $60 Carhartt softshell I got off SAC. Wish I had got two.
    watch out for snakes

bump for update

Being the gear whore I am I checked these out on the website and decided to give them a try. They came today and I am very impressed out of the box. Ended up costing me $90 with shipping. If this softshell had a brand name and bright colors you could expect them to be about a Cnote moar. I particularly like the rear pocket which could easily hold skinz.

Will report back with LT results.
    watch out for snakes

They also sell this "concealed-carry" jacket for all the gangsta's out there...

http://www.rothco.com/general/index....d/92/from/left
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

update:

DWR is not the best. However a wash and a hosedown with Atsko Water Guard and it works great again. (That said, the DWR on any jacket wears off pretty fast, even REI's eVent jackets and Arcteryx stuff when properly cared for the DWR will die in 3mo of heavy wear and need a re-spray)

The rear pocket is not quite big enough for skins rolled up. Oh well.

I put hand panties on mine.

The hood is one of the best I've used on a softshell.

Lots of pockets are great.

Agreed, I had to redo the DWR coating on my jacket after only few uses. Pretty happy with it for touring and milder conditions. Its a very good backup jacket for my Marmot softshell.
    watch out for snakes

Update:

The non-YKK fine-tooth coil front zipper has failed. I am replacing it with a real YKK coarse tooth one.

Dirtbag gear is always appreciated..
    Gonna order me one as a backup to my Mammut softshell..
    If possible in the US try finding Stormberg on sale.
    Great stuff.
    And the company has a policy of hiring recovered drug addicts.
    Thats good karma.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    They also sell this "concealed-carry" jacket for all the gangsta's out there...

http://www.rothco.com/general/index....d/92/from/left
    Next up on the FD Wear line...