Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    There is a practice area at the base of Stairway to Heaven chair at Kicking Horse.

The place marked by the square in the picture below is a great area for beacon practice at Berthoud Pass. It's a several-minute hike in from the road with tons of space to do single and multiple searches.

2009/2010 beacon basin info is up here:
    http://www.backcountryaccess.com/eng...ainingpark.php

Any idea when these usually get set up? (in generally and specific to Whistler, BC)

Quote Originally Posted by snoboy View Post
    Red Resort now has one operational. It is located about 100m from the base area and is accessible on foot. Drop in at the dispatch office at the base to pick up the control box.
    This one has been moved from next to Silver Load chair to further up the hill. Its probably a 300m walk up or you can ski down from the top of silver load. Not operational as of yet, (only day 2 of operation for this season) however once we get a good base at the lower mtn should be up and running.
    Though my life is changing fast,
    My roots are planted in the past,
    Who I am, is who I want to be

FYI, Vail's basin will be moving this year from the top of 5 to somewhere by 2 elk. No idea on timing.

Doesn't Alyeska have one?
    Nothing is impossible, you are only limited by fear, and even that can be overcome. -Seth Morrison

Lost Trail

Lost Trail Powder Mtn is planning to have a Beacon Practice Area, the area has just opened up. Details to come soon. Montana-Idaho border U.S. 93

This information is from (12-18-09) at the Missoula Avalanche Org site.

Transceiver Park Information

There are now 3 Beacon Basin avalanche transceiver parks in operation in
    western Montana. They are located at Lost Trail Powder Mountain, Lolo
    Pass Visitor Center and Montana Snowbowl. All 3 will be available for use
    for the entire season during operating hours at the ski areas and Lolo
    Pass Visitor Center. The Beacon Basin at Montana Snowbowl requires
    purchase of a lift ticket to access the site that is located at the
    backcountry access point to Point Six.

The northern rocky mts are holding a 1ft-1.5ft layer of facets that is waiting for a trigger (natural or human-caused) to set it free. Never trust any facets. Its a little spooky out there.

link to Missoula Avalanche Org :http://www.missoulaavalanche.org/beacon_training.php
    Last edited by teletalley; 12-30-2009 at 07:33 AM. Reason: New info

Actually waiting on enough snow, and repair to two of the units...

Will be in the same (new) location this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Peekay View Post
    This one has been moved from next to Silver Load chair to further up the hill. Its probably a 300m walk up or you can ski down from the top of silver load. Not operational as of yet, (only day 2 of operation for this season) however once we get a good base at the lower mtn should be up and running.

Verbier - Just above the bottom of the jumbo, you access from the bottom of the pitch and the whole area is roped off and pretty visible. Not up and running yet this season, but with the recent dumps should be ok soon! Last season a few of the beacons stopped working but I think they've fixed that now

Lost Trail Powder Mtn beacon park is at the top of Chair 3 (about 150 yds uphill to the south). Stop by the Patrol Shack at the lodge and sign out the control box (be prepared to leave your I.D.) You'll be able to do single or multi beacon searchs. 4 is the max available this season.

for the past several years kirkwoods has been at the top of chair 2 rather than the village location.

Anyone know when if/when the beacon/basin's will be set up at JHMR or on the pass this year? Got a shiny, new S1 coming today that I'd like to get out and fool around with.

I heard Loveland will be not having their Beacon Basin this year.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Mt Hood

Mazamas Lodge beacon basin is up and running

http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubb...326#Post761326
    Training for Alpental

I asked a patroller at Whistler last weekend, she said they don't have a beacon park and haven't had one in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiberAwptik View Post
    Mt Hood

Mazamas Lodge beacon basin is up and running

http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubb...326#Post761326
    Do you know that it's up and running this year (that link was last updated a year ago)?

Quote Originally Posted by SgtSkidmark View Post
    Do you know that it's up and running this year (that link was last updated a year ago)?
    I linked that forum from another forum because it has details posted in it. I did fuck up on the date though. I might call the lodge tomorrow.
    Training for Alpental

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    I heard Loveland will be not having their Beacon Basin this year.
    No, you're wrong, The Loveland BB is located at the top of lift #6. There is a black post out behind the lift shack propane tank that is the control box for the BB. I'll be VERY interested to see how many patollers and public actually use the BB. Sadly, I really don't think any folks will use it. I'd love to see folks check in here each time they use it...
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

Quote Originally Posted by NPG View Post
    .... with tons of space to do single and multiple searches.

That is a hell of an understatement...

That is a major AIARE teaching spot...
    Last edited by Hacksaw; 01-26-2011 at 12:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
    No, you're wrong, The Loveland BB is located at the top of lift #6. There is a black post out behind the lift shack propane tank that is the control box for the BB. I'll be VERY interested to see how many patollers and public actually use the BB. Sadly, I really don't think any folks will use it. I'd love to see folks check in here each time they use it...
    Glad to be wrong about that. Someone who worked for them told me that info at the start of the season.

it is up where the lifties take a piss too....hmmm.
    i will check it out tomorrow. I have done a few practice sessions with my half broken practice beacon, so I want to see how I do with multiples.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Quote Originally Posted by PhiberAwptik View Post
    I linked that forum from another forum because it has details posted in it. I did fuck up on the date though. I might call the lodge tomorrow.
    Do post if they're operational. I might stop by this weekend.

Aspen1234
    Last edited by Shredhead; 02-03-2011 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    Glad to be wrong about that. Someone who worked for them told me that info at the start of the season.

it is up where the lifties take a piss too....hmmm.
    i will check it out tomorrow. I have done a few practice sessions with my half broken practice beacon, so I want to see how I do with multiples.
    Das - you check it out?

I was not aware of BB at loveland and glad to hear this. Will check it out myself. If anyone is interested in getting a little practice in, let me know.

Thumbs down

There are also three Ortovox transceiver practice areas in Colorado. They are at Crested Butte, Teluride and Aspen Highlands. You just need to ask the ski patrol fro their locations.

The Ortovox transceiver training system is a remote system. It doesn't not have hardwires to link it to the control unit. The great thing about this is that because it is a "remote" system, it doesn't build up a electrical charge in the hardwires. When that happens the wires act like long transmitting antennas. The major clue that this is happening is that you find yourself walking in a strait line when you're following your directional indicators on the transceiver.

I talked to a 'troller at Vail the other day, the beacon park is down for the season. Claims a groomer flattened it, but the rope, box and sign are still up. Hmmm... said BCA is setting them up for next year. Beav Patrol has been very pro-active and will set up anyone that wants to practice, even had a contest two weeks ago.