Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Sunshine Village, AB

They've had one for a few years now

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by powslut View Post
    Not too sure about this winter but in the past there has been a BCA sponsored beacon basin at Mt Norquay just outside of banff.
    norquay is in banff...

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Solitude finally got their shit togather and the beacon park is now functional.
    Lower lot by Eagle express.
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Don't know if someone allready said this but there is one on top of Aspen Mt, just outside the richmond ridge gate.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

ive heard rumor that copper has one
    maybe somewhere between the flyer and timberline?
    possibly just uphill from trex in that gladed area?

going to talk to patrol tomorrow if I get a chance

The one on Mt Hood is up and running near the Mazamas Lodge. I haven't tried it out myself yet, but I plan on doing so this weekend. I emailed Mazamas, and they confirmed it was up and running. They also sent me a PP slide show w/ info & maps (it's BYOB). If anyone in OR is interested, shoot me a PM, and I can forward you the email.

Rescue training area at Snowbasin in Utah as well. Only had two beacons buried last time I went, although they probably have more after the snow.

Quote Originally Posted by pechelman View Post
    ive heard rumor that copper has one
    maybe somewhere between the flyer and timberline?
    possibly just uphill from trex in that gladed area?

going to talk to patrol tomorrow if I get a chance
    Confirmed.
    Copper has a beacon basin.

It is located near the Timberline patrol shack between the Flyer\Timberline lifts. Just knock on the patrol door for them to turn it on if its not already.
    Didnt get a chance to try it out though. Will report back when I do.

Now one at Heavenly - top of Gondola. New enough that not many patrollers know about it, so keep asking.

Got the announcement from Eastern Sierra Avalanche Center that both beacon parks at Mammoth are now open. One at Gus's pasture near main lodge, and the other at the visitors center in town.

Parc national de la Gaspesie south of Ste-Anne-des-Monts Quebec has an 8-beacon basin. Check in with park headquarters to get the control box; take it out to the basin, plug it in, and test your skills. You have to love Quebecois hospitality: they don't ask for ID, deposit, or anything. You show up, and say you want to practice; they hand over the keys, no questions asked.

Stevens Pass Beacon Area is up and Running

Quote Originally Posted by Stevens
    In partnership with Backcountry Access, Stevens Pass Resort is pleased to offer Beacon Basin, a state-of-the-art avalanche transceiver training site that features 6 permanently buried transmitters wired to a central control panel. BCA Beacon Basin is a training system created to make it easier for recreationalists and pros to practice with their transceivers. To change the scenario, just flick the on/off switches on the "control panel" (checked out from the Patrol office). It's especially useful for practicing multiple and deep burials, which usually require the most work. Users can control the number of transmitters that are activated. Beacon Basin is located near the yurt on riders left, of I-5 and is available for use by guests every day, free of charge (guests must have their own transceivers). Just stop by the Patrol office (basement level of the Granite Peaks Lodge) to check out the control box. KNOW BEFORE YOU GO!

Winter park/Mary Jane now has a beacon practice area:
    http://tinyurl.com/2sbjza

Quote Originally Posted by pechelman View Post
    Confirmed.
    Copper has a beacon basin.

It is located near the Timberline patrol shack between the Flyer\Timberline lifts. Just knock on the patrol door for them to turn it on if its not already.
    Didnt get a chance to try it out though. Will report back when I do.
    got soem prac in this weekend while waiting for the snow to soften up.
    really nice setup.

theres a red control box you can flip switches to different configurations.
    theyre labled kinda weird, and Id just prefer that each switch be a different beacon. Instead, each switch corresponds to a "difficulty level", so beginner (1), beginner int (2), beginner adv (3) etc etc. Not really sure what the advanced advanced switch did. Maybe it turned on all the beacons?

They got some probes by the box too.

When I was probing I was trying to find something soft and spongy, but I guess I should have read the instructions more closely and read that they were in wood boxes.

Anyway, its there, its running, and its really nice.

so I dug this thread up....any word on if the one's at jhmr or teton pass are still up and running?

bs/ mlb have one

Quote Originally Posted by Neezer View Post
    so I dug this thread up....any word on if the one's at jhmr or teton pass are still up and running?

jhmr has one right off rendezvous bowl...i think it's a pretty poor setup, but it's worth playing around in for a few minutes. haven't been to the one up in the pass recently, but as far as i know, it's up and running still.

Quote Originally Posted by skifree View Post
    Sunshine Village, AB

They've had one for a few years now
    For clarification for the list its next to the base of the Divide Lift.

Revelstoke has a beacon/probe practice area at the top of the Gondola.

White Pass WA now has a beacon/probe practice area at the summit. Just ask at patrol dispatch for directions.

been a few years since I started working on getting one, but I see that Eaglecrest in Juneau, AK has got a beacon training park this season

props to Brian and Juneau Ski Patrol
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Since this thread has been bumped from the depths, I'll add that Baker's beacon practice area has been moved to behind the A Frame (patrol shack/mountain education center) at Heather Meadows.

We added one this season...bottom of Pano.

I road tripped to Telluride a few weeks ago and saw a sign and practice area mid mountain, on the way towards the prospect lift. Saw no footprints or signs of use but a large sign and gate. Every patroler I saw had a shovel too, looks very steep and slidy there...

Quote Originally Posted by nateski View Post
    bs/ mlb have one
    Yeah, Big Sky / Moonlight Basin has one. I think it's about between Challenger and Iron Horse chairs. I have no idea if it's up and running as I'm not usually over there, and it looks kinda deserted.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.