Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    thanks all, updated 1st post

The beacon basin at Fernie Alpine Resort will be operational as of tomorrow, skier's left of Heartland above the Timber weather study plot.
    Referring to the Tips we noticed one thing you have to watch for when locating your probe targets above the beacons, and that's snow creep. This year we have made our targets to resemble a mortarboard made of plywood and strapped the beacons to the underside so that the beacons will go where the target does.
    "if it's called tourist season, why can't we just shoot them?"

Rumor has it there will be beacon basins operating on both Whistler and Blackcomb at some point during this season.

snowbirds basin is now open according to UAC

It’s sponsored by Wasatch Backcountry Rescue and Snowbird and located just off the bypass road in upper Little Cottonwood Canyon.

Not too sure about this winter but in the past there has been a BCA sponsored beacon basin at Mt Norquay just outside of banff.

Targhee usually has one...

or at least a transmitting beacon for patrol to practice with.
    ask a ski patroller, they can tell you the general area.
    Last edited by rideit; 12-24-2005 at 05:13 PM.

As of right now there is no beacon park at The Canyons ski resort in Utah. I talked to them about it 2 days ago(when I wanted to go use it) and they said that the effort last year at the canyons and snowbird was paid for with tax payer dollars. They said that those dollars were significantly cut and that it is underfunded this year and that they likely wont have a beacon park at all this year and that Snowbird will probably be the only resort in utah with one unless a non-profit org wants to step up and provide the funding or resources to do it.

soooo beyond purchasing the equipment (already done? right?!?), and setup, what the hell other costs are there? It's bring your own batteries...

wtf? Is this something we could pickup? if there is a demonstrated need? Can't be that fucking hard, bury the transmitters and such, hang a sign, put up some boundry markers?
    Last edited by LaramieSkiBum; 12-27-2005 at 01:08 AM.

Beacon Basin at JHMR is up and running....Just in time for beacon drills with the groms today. Too bad its gonna snow too much to take them OB tomorrow.
    "College degree. Good job. Big house. We all make mistakes..."

www.lizmarshall.zenfolio.com

Well, I checked out the Beacon basin at Fernie the other day. Its pretty easy to operate. Best advice is to check in at the Timber Patrol hut at the top of the White Pass Chair is see if the tackle box (control box) and batteries are at the basin. The Basin is located just above the snow plot on Heartland which is just above the 100 % cat track. When using the basin its also a good idea to go turn on the basin and select a problem and then go back up the White Pass chair and start your search as the control box is at the bottom of the search area. This basin also has alot of snow, so if you go off your skis expect to skin down to your waist in snow. This allows a person to really try out there probing skills as the beacons will be at least under a meter of snow. I find that the beacon basin is great for practicing as its harder than just practicing in the back yard or parking lot. One has pin point the beacons, probe, strike and then dig thur a considerable amount of snow to find the plywood that the beacons are located underneath.

Here is a picture of the control box and plywood cover box for the beacon basin at Fernie

"A lack of planning and preparation on your part does not make it an emergency on my part."

Crystal Mountain, WA site up & running

^^^

Crystal Mountain, WA
    Hone your transceiver skills with our new Easy Searcher Practice system. Located at the Campbell Basin Lodge, the Easy Searcher has multiple "victims" and three levels of difficulty. The system is free and always open. Check with ski patrol for questions.

Other sites:
    Alpental - not operational yet
    Stevens - no update on status

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel99
    ^^^

Crystal Mountain, WA
    Hone your transceiver skills with our new Easy Searcher Practice system. Located at the Campbell Basin Lodge, the Easy Searcher has multiple "victims" and three levels of difficulty. The system is free and always open. Check with ski patrol for questions.

Other sites:
    Alpental - not operational yet
    Stevens - no update on status
    BCA are going to have the practice array at Alpental set up within the next week or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Red Resort now has one operational. It is located about 100m from the base area and is accessible on foot. Drop in at the dispatch office at the base to pick up the control box.

Thanks to Backcountry Access, Couloir Magazine, Red Resort and Rossland & District SAR.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit
    BCA are going to have the practice array at Alpental set up within the next week or so.
    Alpental should be up & running now. Patrol mentioned it was to go active as of Wednesday. The location was to far skier's right boundary line near the lodge/quad or possibly near the Snow Lake trailhead. I'll find out this weekend and update.

thanks for the updates. Sweet post rossi, somehow I missed those last month.

post #1 updated. Whistler / blackcomb beacon basins up? How about colorado?

Bizzzzup for 06-07. Get out there and practice! Maybe this should be a Sticky in slide zone?
    Last edited by LaramieSkiBum; 12-03-2006 at 12:47 PM.

Need to update the list. Mammoth now has two areas, assuming it ever snows. We will have on at Gus' meadow by main lodge, and one at the visitors center as you enter town.

WA Areas, 2006-2007?

bumpity-bump-bump!
    Any current info on Alpy, Stevens, or Crustal?

Quote Originally Posted by korup View Post
    bumpity-bump-bump!
    Not the ones you mention, but Baker has one set up as well. It should be over on chair 7, and I remember reading its around the third lift tower, but I can't find where I read that to back me up. They have signs around at the Fish for it though...

Quote Originally Posted by korup View Post
    bumpity-bump-bump!
    Crystal is up and running by Campbell Basin Lodge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

The Baker Basin is up and running. Its located lookers right of chair 7 in the woods above the lower terminal.
    The Ski Journal theskijournal.com
    frequency TSJ frqncy.com

VC is offline Calmer then you are Dude
    Anyone have any idea about the squaw one? Location? Is it up and running?

I just heard the other day that Aspen Mtn has one open behind the gondola near the gates to Richmond Ridge. Haven't been up there yet so I'm not sure of the exact location. And Mountain Rescue also has free beacon practice in Rio Grande Park every 1st Tuesday and last Thursday of the month at 6:00pm
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Crystal is up and running by Campbell Basin Lodge.
    Patrol spends a lot of time and money on the easy searcher, it works very well, go try it

Loveland's Beacon Basin is up and running. Ask the pro patrol for directions to it. Beacon Basins are ok for simple practices.

IMHO, multi-Nerfball is a better exercise in beacon practtices.....

Halsted
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"