Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Anyone care to give a report on the inbounds conditions? I am going to assume somewhere between firm, and quite firm?

We have a group coming down this weekend from Eagle County, and due to some of the group not being very backcountry savvy will most likely be staying inbounds. Although some of us might do a tour on Sunday. Since we don't get to do much in bounds steep skiing over here, we had hoped to ski some steeps, but it looks like most of the "extreme" terrain is not open. We made the reservation and plans back in December, so we are definitely coming, just wanted to get a report, if the skiing is bad, I guess we will just have to bring more whiskey. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Burns

mrburns - I haven't skied the resort in over a week, but it usually holds up alright in dry spells. Our north facing terrian tends to turn to more chalk than super firm. The cold nights can suck the moisture out of the snow and help keep it relatively soft too. You are correct that none of our extreme terrain is open. You will need to come back another time to ski the steeps we are known for- and it's worth it. Most of the steep terrain avalanched out early on and we need more snow before we can open it. You will find lots of good groomed runs and some good bump runs near the Twister chair and East River. That's about it! You might want to brig lots of whiskey. Better yet, stop at Montanya Rum distillery in town and buy that instead
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikerskierchick View Post
    mrburns - I haven't skied the resort in over a week, but it usually holds up alright in dry spells. Our north facing terrian tends to turn to more chalk than super firm. The cold nights can suck the moisture out of the snow and help keep it relatively soft too. You are correct that none of our extreme terrain is open. You will need to come back another time to ski the steeps we are known for- and it's worth it. Most of the steep terrain avalanched out early on and we need more snow before we can open it. You will find lots of good groomed runs and some good bump runs near the Twister chair and East River. That's about it! You might want to brig lots of whiskey. Better yet, stop at Montanya Rum distillery in town and buy that instead
    Thanks for the input and advice. Pretty exited to get out of town, and it looks like there might a chance of a little snow before the weekend. I know I am probably delusional, but keeping hope alive. If anyone is at the resort on Saturday, we will be rolling about 15 deep, I will be on Lib Tech's and probably wearing a blue Patagonia jacket. Always down to meet some Maggs.

Burns

Had a fun day out Kebler last Sunday. Surprisingly good snow, not that faceted, a little wind affected towards the top. Stoked its snowing, the forecast looks good!

yeah, that looks dope! Always glad to see some fun goin on down there.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Almost feel like coming down for it... almost

Gonna be in town with my brother Saturday thru Tuesday. Will be staying in bounds. Never skied CB. Any one willing to throw out some suggestions for areas/runs to hit up/not miss. Looks like things might change for the better when we get there. Thanks for any suggestions.

High lift opens at noon tomorrow, north face is open as of last friday, rumors of the front side happening soon. Its thin and rocky, but it pretty much always is.

Quote Originally Posted by pruitt View Post
    Gonna be in town with my brother Saturday thru Tuesday. Will be staying in bounds. Never skied CB. Any one willing to throw out some suggestions for areas/runs to hit up/not miss. Looks like things might change for the better when we get there. Thanks for any suggestions.
    north face/headwall and teo bowl, lots of fun stuff and I imagine we'll get at least forest and part of peel open after this storm rolls through. Feels like the in-bounds season is just now starting.

Is the airbag jump for the tubing hill as much fun as it looks?

Keep waiting for a booze soaked tubing hill tr!
    Last edited by capulin overdrive; 02-08-2013 at 12:28 PM.

Will be getting out for my third and final day of CB resort action before making haste to the San Juans. Plan on being there for the opening of High Lift. I have an ok knowledge of the mtn, but am still a visitor. So if anyone wants to get after it tomorrow, give a holler!

rangerjake-Going to try to make it up for the opening of the HL. Blue Jacket, green pants, Moment Jag Sharks

Quote Originally Posted by thommy21 View Post
    rangerjake-Going to try to make it up for the opening of the HL. Blue Jacket, green pants, Moment Jag Sharks
    missed ya. got 4 laps out there; 2 teo bowl, 2 big chute/trees. #47 in the beacon line, just made it after lining up at 11:20. yowza! The tree snow was much better being spared the sun bake. Heading down to the San Juans (ouray/red mtn pass) tomorrow for a week. But will be getting up early for a dawn skin. Here's hoping for 4" of pistepow. Give a holler if you want to take part. nine 1 four, 9 five four, one 0 four 3.

adam is offline The Shred Pirate Roberts
    Snow may be firm and in short supply, but its still pretty awesome skiing! Skiing off the t-bars feels like a different sport from doing laps on twister and resurrection. Scared myself a lot these past two days, can't wait for it to snow again so we can get it done! wooooooooo

Coneys today.

A little video my homie Mark Mikos and I put together of some resort charging this past weekend. It's so good here inbounds and ridiculously deep in the surrounding backcountry!
    Chocolate? This is doodoo, BABY!

Questionable use of post-"And Justice" Metallica . . . skiing makes up for it though

Fun video - tell him to allow mobile viewing though. Love that 'mine' jump. That transition is about as perfect as they come!

looks nice. will be there next week. glad to see some resetting going on!

Had a great sleeper day up Slate with Adam and Nick today. Wind and sun affected snow in many areas, but ended up finding some fun drops and creamy consolidated pow on protected north aspects. Evidence of big natural avalanches on many aspects and elevations out there today.

Thanks to Nick Matisse for the rad photos!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Records View Post
    Going so hard

That's a sick pic. Saw a sweet pic of Dside that the resort tweeted last week.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Quote Originally Posted by adam View Post
    Going so hard
    I miss you already brother, looking forward to the day we live in the same area again; can't beat having a friend who makes me look bad on skis and on a bike.

Quick conditions update. High life is open for the first time since 2011, and it is skiing really well.