Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thumbs up 2012-13 Crested Butte Stoke, conditions, whatever

Seems like the local conditions threads are how TGR runs these days, so here's one for Crested Butte. Maybe Ullr has been waiting for this thread to start snowing, rather than us waiting for snow to start this thread. Chicken and egg, you know. Anyway, here's a handful of pics so we can pretend we're having a winter so far....

Day 1 was all about trying to dodge avalanches since everything was running on the old October snow.

A few days and a few inches later, we found some good skiing on slopes that hadn't kept any snow from October.

We went a little higher last weekend and found some surprisingly decent snow.

Anyone else have something to share? Maybe a park pic or some shredding at Hartman's? It'll snow eventually, I heard there's going to be a major pattern change in 2 weeks

Hiked the bottom half of Doctors on Monday, looks like it should be pretty prime this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Gone Skiing View Post
    Hiked the bottom half of Doctors on Monday, looks like it should be pretty prime this weekend
    Nice. Thinking I'll be on perfect glass this weekend on LL myself. Got skates and wanna come?

don't have skates, but I might come up anyway, let me know when you're headed that way. paradise open at the mtn, that'll be worth a couple laps for me

Quote Originally Posted by Gone Skiing View Post
    don't have skates, but I might come up anyway, let me know when you're headed that way. paradise open at the mtn, that'll be worth a couple laps for me
    A couple of laps is exactly right! Then we'll go skate! Bring Owen
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

Talking

Frank, shouldn't you be doing something absolutely ridiculous about now, like strapping your bike onto your skis so you can XC ski up to your snowmobile parked on Scarp's ridge so you can tow it back down to town behind your yeti?
    Drive slow, homie.

Just scored an extra set of skates size 10-up for grabs, starting to think it is a perfect distraction during the shoulder season. Last two weekends on Dome lakes has been pretty interesting...
    Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    A better option would be to quit whining and go ski somewhere with less people around.
    __________________________________________________ __________

Aclimate Sports Drink- "Go higher feel better"

^^ Dome Lakes, eh- that's pretty out there. Cool. You should head up on Sunday- a little LL in the AM, some Paradise laps in the PM.

I'll be stoked when I give away a free pair of Anarchy goggles. So I guess that counts as stoke, especially since Ullr has forsaken us. Really good odds right now, click HERE.

Token non-skiing stoke while we wait for a big dump (mbsc):

It is full on "find something to do" season here as well. So far the winners have been:

Work (so you can work less when is actually snows)
    Ride bikes (the 1/2" that we just got should make the trails perfect when the sun comes out)
    Slay fall browns (probably the best option until the cold just hit)
    Drive around looking for new interesting access
    Hike around and rappel off stuff in preparation for France
    Go to the desert

But even as an eternal "glass half full" guy, that shit is getting old. People are starting to snap left and right, the think the Tetons are fully of CO skiers right now. It's worth the drive just to remind yourself of what a snow bank looks like.

So, tomorrow is looking good... Here's hoping it delivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgnar View Post
    So, tomorrow is looking good... Here's hoping it delivers.
    Yeah, I'd say so- finally! Scary bc and not much open at the area, but things might be pretty good in a couple more weeks.

Very touchy out there. Anything with the slightest pitch on any aspect, any elevation was going to the ground (well to the facets, but pretty much the ground) via distant remote trigger. Pretty fun day, up to 3' in the leeward trees in places, 2' most everywhere up in the divide. WSCU bowl and Halloween didn't run yet, but the one inbetween them ran in 8 different places, all natural. Hopefully this takes care of some of those facets and we can start bridging it up out there.

Just read the obs page on CBAC site. Patrol didn't even have to spend money bombing fig11 and big chute- they remotely triggered when patrol was on the high lift.

yesterday

Last edited by daver; 01-15-2013 at 11:08 PM.

good to finally see some pow in this thread. sounds like some fun openings coming up...

Got in some lovely meadow skipping today, the snow certainly has settled quickly though.

Snuck in a nice big face on Teocalli while we still could. Looking forward to shredding some pow when I get back.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Snuck in a nice big face on Teocalli while we still could. Looking forward to shredding some pow when I get back.

Looks fun!

bogo for lift tickets at CB resort

get a buy one get one lift ticket coupon at participating Shell gas stations for purchasing 10 gal (or more) of gas. Good at CB, Monarch, Copper, WP

http://www.skifreedeals.com/ski-resorts-all.html

Long time maggot, occasional TGR lurker, and now newbie poster. Not enough stoke posted here, so I registered and thought I would try to add some of my own.

Had a memorable day skiing the Red Lady on Friday Dec 28 with my 16-yr old son. The resort had received 12-in the previous two days and we could tell on Thursday that Red Lady was more socked in and had likely recieved more snow. This is a popular route and a nice skin track was in place when we headed out Friday morning; nicely packed but not icy and not too steep. Dropping in was knee deep and soft, the snow was slightly wind affected about half way down the main pitch, and the rolling pitches down lower were creamy soft. Good coverage, no rocks.

Red Lady (Mt Emmons), the goal…

The climb…

Still a long way to go….

Gotta keep climbing…..

World class views along the way:

The summit in sight (finally!)…

Dropping in

and getting’ my pow on!

My son Alec getting his:

The lighting was sublime....

The goods GREATS!

A lovely view of Heaven:

The Red Lady wearing dawn’s early light and our tracks the next morning:

Great company, snow, weather, and scenery. Truly a very fine day. Thanks Alec!

Last edited by dances with trees; 01-02-2013 at 10:20 PM. Reason: added some line spaces between photos

^^^ Good stuff. Also good to know that the Shell gas deal is still going this season. Thanks

Anybody like to ski backcountry that doesn't need a sled to get to? I'm dying to get out on my splitboard, but everybody seems to want to braap. Got gear and experience, just need a partner.