Differences in BSL..

Question for techy mags/minions...

If your ski boot is a 320 BSL and you buy skis which are drilled for a 330 BSL (same binding pattern/size/etc.) are you...

A) 1 cm off from your actual mounting point
    B) 5 mm off from your actual mounting point

?

+1 thread went poof so...
    Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    It's the same argument for prostitution. There's a lot of people in this world who won't be getting laid unless they pay big bucks or fuck an artificial life form. No amount of consolation, pity or comiserating is going to change that reality.
    Slaughter is the best medicine.

If I read your question correctly, you would lop 5mm off each end of the boot, and move the binding toe and heel inward 5mm each to make up a 10 mm BSL difference if downsizing from a 330 to a 320.

The plane takes off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

BBBBBBBBBB

Quote Originally Posted by F.D.V. View Post
    Question for techy mags/minions...

If your ski boot is a 320 BSL and you buy skis which are drilled for a 330 BSL (same binding pattern/size/etc.) are you...

A) 1 cm off from your actual mounting point
    B) 5 mm off from your actual mounting point?
    Mounting 320 BSL for a 330BSL-drilled ski puts your boot center exactly 5mm in front of the previous mount spot.

In the scenario the OP described, his boot center mark would now be 0.5cm forward of the line intended when the skis were drilled for the larger sized boot.

So, for example, if park skis were drilled at true center for a 330mm boot, and then were adjusted (without redrilling) to accommodate a 320mm boot, the skier would now find himself forward of true center - with more tail than tip. This is an extreme example, of course. For most pow skis and skiers, the difference would be negligible.

to stay at the same boot center on the ski, both binding pieces would be moved 5mm inward. However, getting the screws to hold in this situation would be difficult at best, so it is more likely that you will move one or the other 1cm. This only moves the boot center 5mm one direction or the other though. either 5mm more "jib" by moving the heel, or 5mm more "powder" by moving the toe. unlikely to actually feel much of a difference.

Got you...

Reason I ask is I am going to pick up some sticks which are drilled at 330 and my BSL is a 320 (hence my figures in the OP). After looking at Campo's thread last night I realized I would not be 1cm off as I thought. Instead, I will be 5mm off which is much more acceptable (though I am still trying to comprehend why that would be the case).
    Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    It's the same argument for prostitution. There's a lot of people in this world who won't be getting laid unless they pay big bucks or fuck an artificial life form. No amount of consolation, pity or comiserating is going to change that reality.
    Slaughter is the best medicine.

Because it's a slow day, this should help. Toe pieces are fixed so you measure 1/2 the BSL from there to find center.

Is the assumption that all boot centers are located at the same point between the fore and after limits of the boots accurate?

Bootfitters? I mean, all boots have the center marked on the boot which leads me to believe it could be marginally different boot to boot? It seems to me that the end of the toe/heel "lug" (for lack of the appropriate word) could be different from the foot positioning in different boots.

That being said, are you going to notice 5mm let alone the potentially marginal difference in boot center from boot to boot... pretty doubtful.
    dayglo aerobic enthusiast

Assuming that the ski currently has no bindings on it Mr. Zombinate would be correct. If the ski currently has bindings in place Mr. PappaG wins. Howevah if the ski currently as bindings on it and you are going to use said bindings you can prolly bring the heel piece forward 1 cm (10 mm) and you will move your effective mount point 5mm or 1/2 cm forward.

I did this last season when I bought a new pair of boots with a 305 boot sole after using a 317 for a number of years.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    The plane takes off.
    But you forgot to factor in the friction from the heel piece, the heel will lock down infinitely creating a worm hole into a realm only known as mid-west skiing, and we all shudder.
    "The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled you just become a replica of someone else's mind." Chomsky

"This system make of us slaves. Without dignity. Without depth. No? With a devil in our pocket. This incredible money in our pocket. This money. This shit. This nothing. This paper who have nothing inside." Jodorowsky

Quote Originally Posted by F.D.V. View Post
    Got you...

Reason I ask is I am going to pick up some sticks which are drilled at 330 and my BSL is a 320 (hence my figures in the OP). After looking at Campo's thread last night I realized I would not be 1cm off as I thought. Instead, I will be 5mm off which is much more acceptable (though I am still trying to comprehend why that would be the case).
    Maybe this Boot Sole Gauge will help with comprehension and checking center mark accuracy.

Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR