Holy SHIT Greg Long launched by Tiger Shark at Rocky Point

February 17, 2005

San Clemente big-wave charger Greg Long was enjoying an uncrowded session at maxing Rocky Rights yesterday afternoon, surfing a brand new 6' 6, preparing for the Monster Energy Pipeline Pro, when all of a sudden something went horribly wrong.

It was in the middle of a lull and I had paddled inside to get a cleaner one, Greg recalls. I was just laying there on my board, no sharky vibes at all -- it was a nice sunny day, and I was in reasonably shallow water. All of a sudden the thing hit me hard; it felt like someone had taken a sledgehammer to the bottom of my board.

The approximate eight-foot long tiger shark launched the unsuspecting Greg a few feet in the air and knocked the wind out of him. Once I landed, I regrouped and started frog-kicking towards shore, he says. I grazed it once with my left leg. As soon as I could, I started paddling in as fast as I could. Unfortunately, it was still a lull, so I paddled almost the whole way in. Of course right before I reached shore, a frothy double-up landed right on my head. I got pummelled, but ran as fast as I could onto the rocks.

Long took off his wetsuit and was amazed to be pretty much completely unharmed. It was like if you got shot at 10 times and they missed every time, he explains. After that, I was counting my blessings, my lucky stars and everything in between.

Long's new 6'6 didn't fare so well, however. There are fresh teeth marks along the bottom, around the rails, and some serious pressure dings. Suffice to say, he used a backup board in his heat at the Monster Pipeline Pro this morning.

Admittedly, Greg's a little shaken by the whole thing -- but it's unlikely to affect where or when he surfs. I'm looking at Rocky Rights right now, he says. And if it was any good, I'd be out there.

Lifeguards closed the beaches from Sunset to Pipeline after the attack but reopened them today.

Thats farking scary!!!

The guy charges huge surf, Cortes Banks, Todos, all of it. And he almost gets snuffed by a fish in head high surf. Thats gotta f*ck with your mind. Good thing we don't have Polar bears roaming the slopes.
    Gave up on the bottle, give me the lobotomy.

Quote Originally Posted by mountainbored
    Good thing we don't have Polar bears roaming the slopes.
    Ha! On Monday two of the P.F.W.T. (myself and Eric Spongberg) literally skied right over a snow leopard. Scary shit indeed!
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels