Best place to climb an ice fall (guided for jongs)

My dad has taken me on a mountain biking trip to Moab Utah every August for 5 years now and I want to repay the trips a little by surprise him with a trip ice climbing. He has always wanted to but we never have.
    I want the best place to for us to go where we can have a guide and equipment rental etc. We both have little climbing experience on rock.
    I am not looking for extremely hard since he is 61. He is strong so it doesn't have to be a small climb though. Also, inside the contiguous 48. Something scenic and fun.
    Any suggestions?
    Sent via care package with protective strafe run

Go to Ouray, climb all day on great quality ice, then soak in the hot springs before eating awesome food at one of the many great restaurants. There is also great, more adventuresome climbing outside of the ice park too.

If for some reason Ouray doesn't work Cody, WY and Bozo aren't bad alternatives.
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

If your willing to cross the border come up to Canmore. The Canadian rockies is THE ice climbing destination for north america. Ouray looks novel being man made and all that, but if you want the real deal experience head north young man.

Pm me if you need more info for guides accommodations and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Go to Ouray, climb all day on great quality ice, then soak in the hot springs before eating awesome food at one of the many great restaurants. There is also great, more adventuresome climbing outside of the ice park too.

This. My gf and I went during the ice fest for our first time ice climbing and had a great time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powers
    That's how the plague started back in the day...from a little disgusting bird bath in someones back yard that rats made sex to birds in and created a whole new type of AIDS

Quote Originally Posted by Winkler View Post
    If your willing to cross the border come up to Canmore. The Canadian rockies is THE ice climbing destination for north america. Ouray looks novel being man made and all that, but if you want the real deal experience head north young man.

Pm me if you need more info for guides accommodations and all that.
    It has to be in the states because there is no cryptic way to tell my dad to renew his passport without him getting suspicious.

I think Ouray is going to be what I want for this and if we like it, we may expand to other places in the future.

I know google and the search tool are a good place for this, but I am mid post on my phone so I'm going to ask anyway. What sort of clothing should we wear during it? It seems a heavy jacket could be constrictive and cause sweat, but a light jacket in the wind might get too cold.

Thanks for all the helpful posts.
    Sent via care package with protective strafe run

Waterproof shell for climbing. Insulation depends on temps but keep in mind you will be in the shade most, if not all, day. Your guide will be the best source of info.
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

Wear layers under a shell and bring a packable down layer for down time.

Don't wear baggy pants, low profile, protective inner cuffs, and suspenders are preferable.

Maybe two pairs of gloves, one spring like the other warmer, once again for hanging out.