Thread: Brian Head Utah

Brian Head Utah

Heading down to Utah to do some mountain bike riding later this week. I'll be staying near St.George with some family, Brian Head opens this Friday, I'm wondering if it's worth taking ski gear down as well. Anyone have any idea what to expect as far as conditions go for opening weekend? There isn't much info on their website.

Thanks!

I read that as Brian Heads to Utah and imagined a new Monty Python movie.

Did you know, sir, that if they give and war, and you're in the army, you have to go?!

why did you join the army, private?

The waterskiing, sir.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Digging back in my foggy memory 15 years....It's a 'step down' mountain with short steep pitches combined w/ flatter parts which kinda kill momentum. There's some good, steep trees, and some hike-to stuff up higher.

Small, but definitely fun for a couple of days in good snow, doesn't get tracked out very quickly. I tried my first pair or fatter skis that day, Volkl Snowrangers. They were commically fat and I couldn't believe the flotation I got out of them
    'waxman is correct, and so far with 40+ days of tasting them there is no way my tongue can tell the difference between wood, and plastic made to taste like wood...but i'm a weirdo and lick my gear...' -kidwoo

How about eagle point, met the guys at TGR show and terrain looked cool
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Doc:

I was in the same boat last year and ended up throwing my skis in the truck because I'd always wanted to check out Brianhead. It was before X-mas with minimal snow. Like stated, it does not have much vert and a lot of steep pitches and flats. With their YTD total of only 25" it will probably be similar to when I was there unless they get a lot more before you arrive. Some fun early season groomer zooming, but only a couple very short steep pitches open where you hit rocks. They claim to have the lightest (lowest moisture content) snow of any area in North America, which means that 25" did not turn into the claimed 18" base.

It is an unusual place where you are on the only snow around and look out over lots of red rock formations. It's set up weird with two little "mountains" and two separte base areas that are connected on skis by a bridge over a road. It is a Las Vegas day area and while putting my boots on in the parking lot I saw a white streach limo pull up and a bunch of Japanese tourists hustle into the rental shop. Saw another streach limo when I was leaving. Not the usual ski area traffic. Made me wonder what it cost to rent a limo for the day, rent equipment, and buy lift tickets to ski some of the lamest terrain in Utah. The skiing isn't much but it is probably worth checking out for a day just to experience it. My advice is to go with rock skis, low expectations, and take drugs.
    Last edited by Mudfoot; 11-15-2012 at 10:55 AM.
    Gravity Junkie

What Mud Foot said, and:

I used to live in Vegas, and learned to love it there. Without much snow, it wouldn't be nearly as fun though (pretty much like any other mountain).

For what it's worth, it doesn't track out fast at all and has a lot of short fun sections. I also think it's setup perfect for people who want to do cool natural jibs. Lots of natural quarters with good transitions.

Takes forever to get tracked out too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brianhead.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	125707
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    dude freaks me out everytime I see him I flashback to the weird cher mask movie

Thanks for all the info. Our car was pretty full with bike gear so we decided to leave the skis at home. We figured we could always rent if the hill gets major snow while we're there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudfoot View Post
    My advice is to go with rock skis, low expectations, and take drugs.
    Hunter S. Thompson MO
    'waxman is correct, and so far with 40+ days of tasting them there is no way my tongue can tell the difference between wood, and plastic made to taste like wood...but i'm a weirdo and lick my gear...' -kidwoo

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." H.S.T.
    Gravity Junkie

Pretty sweet, they have a new feature there the "Bag Jump"...from the video I saw looks a lot more forgiving than a foam pit, looks pretty exciting to try.

Attachment 132278

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	603045_498292676883627_516370119_n.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	132279

http://www.brianhead.com/winter/mountain-info/bag_jump
    Last edited by marcg; 02-09-2013 at 07:03 PM.

I had a lot of fun @ Brian Head. I know this is an old bump, but I would go back there in a heartbeat. Way more mellow than LCC, but some good hike-to, great scenery, and when I was there the snow was blower...