Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Duck footed? I think not. "What's your stance?" survey.

Mags, It's been a long time since I've posted here, I've been holed up in a long for a long time. I'm building some sensors for my thesis and need some snowboard info from you all. I know this is probably better suited in the Tech Talk but I need to reach a max number of people.

Please head over to the survey here: Snowboard Binding Survey
    and give me your info. THANKS!

whats up with your rear binding angle, common notation is negative angle on the rear foot for a ducked stance and positive angle on the rear foot for a carving stance. For instance i ride +18 on the front foot, and -9 on the rear foot. Most bindings adjust in three degree increments, except burtons baseless binders. Might add a spot for stance width as generally the wider you go the more duck you add. Im 5'8 and ride a 22" stance my buddy is 6'5 and rides a 26" stance. His angles are around +27 -18.

if you grab the gear guides editions of the mags they have tons of pro stances you could add.

post this on snowboardforum.com and splitboard.com for more views, and participation.

Thanks for the heads up on the rear foot stance question and those other forums. I'm trying to get a better sample of the general population but pro stances could be helpful. Stance width is important but won't affect the sensors I'm designing, but the binding angles will. Thanks!
    Last edited by nieveparasiempre; 11-14-2012 at 03:52 PM.

Was just talking about duck vs. both forward with a buddy the other day. As more of a Big Mountain rider, who almost never rides switch I could never understand why others that rarely ride switch would ride with a duck stance. My buddy made a really good point that some people are naturally pigeon toed and some are naturally duck footed. Sure enough I'm pigeon toed and ride both forward. Might be something to ask in your survey. "Are you more pigeon toed or duck footed?" What is the nature of your project anyway?

21/-9. Fuck tons of forward lean.

Quote Originally Posted by Scree Shredder View Post
    Was just talking about duck vs. both forward with a buddy the other day. As more of a Big Mountain rider, who almost never rides switch I could never understand why others that rarely ride switch would ride with a duck stance. My buddy made a really good point that some people are naturally pigeon toed and some are naturally duck footed. Sure enough I'm pigeon toed and ride both forward. Might be something to ask in your survey. "Are you more pigeon toed or duck footed?" What is the nature of your project anyway?
    I started Euro with 18/12. Learned jumps, switch, rails etc with that stance. Riding switch with both feet forward isn't hard unless you really suck. My stance evolved over time wider, slight duck and more forward lean. For a time I was riding 12ish/-9 because that was the most extreme angles I could get on baseless bindings. Snowboarding for 20 years you should play around and see what actually suits you. not for a few hours or a day. Seriously ride 3 days with a weird angle. Then ride two days with that angle switch all day long. you'll notice that you may not have the best thing for you and would be amazed at what a little change can do.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

"Are you more pigeon toed or duck footed?" What is the nature of your project anyway?
    Hopefully from the data from the survey I can tell who's pigeon toed or duck footed.

The project will be measuring the forces and torque on riders in terrain parks as well as their kinematics (body movements). Essentially we will be trying to see what can be improved for safety in terrain park design. Equipment manufacturers are also pretty eager for this data too.

Mounting angles are key because the sensors I've designed can be mounted at any width stance or mounting angle. But the angle of the binding will change how the sensor measures the load. Rather than calibrating my sensor for every possible mounting position, I'm trying to find where most people ride at, and calibrate to +/- 5 degrees around there.

That being said. I'll probably be looking for volunteers to come ride them this winter. I'll be sure to let people know when/where.

Done.

I took the survey, reversing the +/- for the rear foot angle was confusing but then my stats are confusing to most boarders. 25*r/38*f on 25-26 wide powder boards, 50*r/60*f on 18 wide race boards, and inbetween on 21 wide all mt. boards.
    I never ride in the park so it's irrelevant anyway.

Coming from ski & tele I've always ridden alpine/forward angles (felt more natural) and used hardboots (softboots were crap in '89 when I went to mostly board), doesn't keep me from pulling 3s & 5s and riding fakey... I mean switch at speed.

I've always thought it was weird for peeps that never ride switch to use duckfoot. really looks and feels inefficient to me.
    Good luck with your project, it would be interesting to see/compare the pressure stats from park riders to the stats from carvers/racers who certainly put way more stress on the binding and board.
    embrace the gape
    and believe

yo, so I dont do surveys ... coz ... Im drinking ... or I'm a drunk ... no wait ... who said that ... we're doing just fine fark off !!!

butorn fish 156 ... goofy -3 and +27 or + 30 I find back foot pop is the issue requiring the ... wotev

venture storm splity ... -0+ back and front at 27ish COZ FARKIN R&D WON'T ALLOW ANY MORE U COCK SUCKIN CUNTS !!! i SO HATE YOUR BINDING U SOLD ME !!!

both stances are as wide as poss ...

yes I truely hate R&D ... couldnt have sold me for top dollar a more shit product and lied to me !!!
    and how many people do more days on a snowboard than me ???
    142 last year
    137 previous year
    We, the RATBAGGERS, formally axcept our duty is to trigger avalaches on all skiers ...

Quote Originally Posted by WAlove View Post
    whats up with your rear binding angle, common notation is negative angle on the rear foot for a ducked stance...
    Like he said, your survey is fucked up because you got the angles reversed.

Post it here, you'll get flames & responses: http://easyloungin.com/forum/forum.php?id=6

yeah, i really think it's important to make a new survey with your rear foot NEGATIVE = DUCK.

Me and my 60f 57r are gonna screw up your numbers

Well shit... Now after all the talk maybe I screwed up my survey with my backfoot.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    Well shit... Now after all the talk maybe I screwed up my survey with my backfoot.
    whatever, it's only academia

How many other 225lb twelve year old midgets are running severe pigeon toe stances after 20 years of riding?
    Life is simple. Go Explore.

Never understood duck, I guess it helps with fakie riding. Grew up watching CK and Terje and ride about 20 degrees front and 5 degrees rear.

What are the sensors for? That's pretty interesting.

Done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadam View Post
    yo, so I dont do surveys ... coz ... Im drinking ... or I'm a drunk ... no wait ... who said that ... we're doing just fine fark off !!!

butorn fish 156 ... goofy -3 and +27 or + 30 I find back foot pop is the issue requiring the ... wotev

venture storm splity ... -0+ back and front at 27ish COZ FARKIN R&D WON'T ALLOW ANY MORE U COCK SUCKIN CUNTS !!! i SO HATE YOUR BINDING U SOLD ME !!!

both stances are as wide as poss ...

yes I truely hate R&D ... couldnt have sold me for top dollar a more shit product and lied to me !!!
    and how many people do more days on a snowboard than me ???
    142 last year
    137 previous year

But Spark doesn't make the pucks...
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

Was just talking about duck vs. both forward with a buddy the other day. As more of a Big Mountain rider, who almost never rides switch I could never understand why others that rarely ride switch would ride with a duck stance.
    It's about stability and control for me. I generally ride more or less duck with my bindings almost maxed out width-wise. I (personally) have far more control and board feel is much better with that setup.

whats up with your rear binding angle, common notation is negative angle on the rear foot for a ducked stance and positive angle on the rear foot for a carving stance.
    Just realized that I fucked that one up.
    No kick turns
    No mercy

Yeah sorry for the lack of clarity. I've updated the figures to hopefully be more clear. Thanks for the responses everyone.

more stance angles are possible, but since your still not using common notation dont you think that your results are going to be skewed by false data. I can tell you now that a majority of terrain park riders are going to be close to +15/-15. I hope these sensor plates have nothing to do with a releasable snowboard binding.

I dont think the duck footed stance has so much to do with riding switch as it does with the twin boards that are now common vs. directional boards with set back. A forward stance on a directional board allows you to get your weight forward over the center of the camber and sidecut. With a twin you weight is already centered and ducked stance allows for equal weight adjustment front and back. If you look at surfing which is mostly directional their back foot will be ducked. It just allows for better weight transfer to the rear foot.

21/-9. Fuck tons of forward lean.
    ^^ agreed. think my malolo is around +49 and +27 with my split around the same. get some interesting comments on occasion by lifties... especially when they've seen you riding switch but its just like anything, you get used to it after riding that way long enough. do believe your natural positioning of your feet dictates what your most comfortable with... along with your riding preferences

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stance.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	131.0 KB 
ID:	125694

whats up with your rear binding angle, common notation is negative angle on the rear foot for a ducked stance and positive angle on the rear foot for a carving stance.

post this on snowboardforum.com and splitboard.com for more views, and participation.
    ^^
    This
    I did your survey but did find it weird to enter a (-) angle for my rear foot when I would never consider riding duck. Also in your survey your angles stop fairly tame for hard booters. For your records I'm about 38 front and 32 back (that's + 32 in my vernacular).

Here's another place for more beta from hard booters:
    http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulleti...ving-Community
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Don't have a set stance.. although front foot is usually 15 all the time, back is (-) 5ish (duck) on park days, pow days riding my fish or powjet I usually ride +15 - +5, easier to turn and power heelside turns IMO. When powsurfing I think I actually stand a bit ducked normally. Free your feet! www.powsurf.com

Survey completed. While shopping for gear last month, I noticed much of the binding industry is moving to canted footbeds on the mid to top tier priced binders. The reviews on the canted designs seem uniformly positive so this may be the way things go forward. Have you considered that? Data based on traditional flat designs might lose its relevance over the next couple seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by _Aaron_ View Post
    But Spark doesn't make the pucks...
    lol exactly.