San Diego > Mammoth 12/13 Ride Share

Figured we should get a thread started. GF and I will be going up a couple times a month, generally Friday night to Sunday night or Monday morning. We live in Carlsbad and have a Subaru.

We can drive; also interested in just carpooling with others to save car mileage.

If this snow comes through we'll be going up this weekend.

Any interest in this weekend?

I'm thinking of heading up Saturday to ski Sunday/Monday, or possibly leave very early Saturday morning and ski Saturday/Sunday

I would be interested in the latter. Let me know what you decide

Sent from my Droid using TGR Forums

If you guys head up be sure to contact me as I will be skiing sat/sun and it would be cool to get in so
    E runs
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

In encinitas. Leaning towards heading out this weekend but not sure. 95mph winds and 10000' snow level is questionable. I would have to be back for a 630am Monday meeting....

Also possible driver with a suby

sent from the future using my mind powers
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I think with the recent storm updates and high snow levels I'm going to make a Friday evening decision (leave early Sat morning if anything around 4AM) - leaning towards not heading up though.

Edit:

From NOAA at 9870 ft

Saturday Snow. High near 33. Strong and damaging winds, with a southwest wind 65 to 70 mph, with gusts as high as 110 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.
    Saturday Night Snow. Low around 33. Strong and damaging winds. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.
    Sunday Snow. High near 34. Strong and damaging winds. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 17 to 23 inches possible.

From NOAA at the base

Saturday Snow before 10am, then rain and snow. Snow level 8800 feet. High near 35. Very windy, with a southwest wind 35 to 40 mph decreasing to 30 to 35 mph in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 65 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
    Saturday Night Rain and snow, becoming all rain after 10pm. Snow level 8900 feet rising to 9700 feet. Low around 35. Very windy. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.
    Sunday Rain before 10am, then snow. High near 37. Very windy. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 10 to 14 inches possible.

Since I'm new to socal have never skied Mammoth before. Is "strong and damaging winds" something to worry about shutting down even lower mountain lifts? If not, Sunday looks like absolute dumpage.
    Last edited by jtran10; 11-29-2012 at 06:04 PM.

Very little experience... I have only skied at Mammoth for one season but on windy storm days (like 45mph up top) they shut down the top half of the Mountain. I have never seen how mammoth reacts to wind like this (gusts of 115mph up top). No doubt the top will not be spinning. Interested in seeing what will...
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

If u guys are here for sat shoot me a call or text. Brian at three one zero 591-nine zero six zero
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

2021/2022 (13/15)

How was it last weekend? Seems the rest of the mountain is supposed to open this weekend.. any takers?

I know it's a bit far ahead, but anyone doing the weekend of the 15/16? I'm carless that weekend but want to head up if anyone's got space.

I am leaving Ventura at noonish on Saturday 12/15, heading home after skiing Tuesday 12/18 if anybody is interested in a ride.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Anyone doing the SD > Mammoth to ski sat/sun? Still looking for a ride.

I'd also be able to head up tonight and ski Fri/Sat if anyone's in.

Ride to mammoth

Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post
    Figured we should get a thread started. GF and I will be going up a couple times a month, generally Friday night to Sunday night or Monday morning. We live in Carlsbad and have a Subaru.

We can drive; also interested in just carpooling with others to save car mileage.

If this snow comes through we'll be going up this weekend.

Hi! I was hoping to get yo to mammoth tomorrow! Let me know if anyone is going!

Thinking about chasing this storm and leaving LA later today and come back Tuesday night. Anybody in?
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?

2021/2022 (13/15)

So just got a season pass for Mammoth. New to San Diego, so don't know many people. Does this thread work good for sharing rides up to Mammoth.

Also on a related topic. Does anyone have room in a cabin for the winter or know a group that wants to get together a rent a cabin for the winter, let me know, i'd be interested.