Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Capone and Eli, ftw!
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Omg. My wife and I both started cheering when Eli rolled in with Capone at then end. What a great episode. SO psyched for the season finale next week.

Whats gonna happen?? Nucky, Eli, Chalky, and Capone show up on the boadwalk, only to find that Richard has already killed everybody?? We can only hope.

Richard better live.

Anyhow, where was Mickey and all his guys? Where is Margaret and the kids?

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Coming to the boil nicely.

No more Mr Nice Guy from Richard.

Richard better live.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    Omg. My wife and I both started cheering when Eli rolled in with Capone at then end. What a great episode. SO psyched for the season finale next week.

Whats gonna happen?? Nucky, Eli, Chalky, and Capone show up on the boadwalk, only to find that Richard has already killed everybody?? We can only hope.

Richard better live.

Anyhow, where was Mickey and all his guys? Where is Margaret and the kids?
    Finally an exciting show from start to finish, of course its the second to last one. For such a slow season at least its going to end awesome.

No way Richard dies, biggest badass on the show and he's his own man. He has no ties to anyone so no one wants him dead, let alone even knows/thinks about him. If he does I'm also done with the show. Also, I bet he takes out Gyp and Grandma Daugherty while he's banging her out or something, takes out half of Gyp's men in the process, gets Jimmy's kid and rides off into the sunset with his new girl. All the while no one knows what the fuck happened to Gyp and his men. My prediction at least.

Who cares about Margaret and the kids. I hope they went back to Ireland.

Hopefully Mickey gave him up and is found out. I want that fucker to die a horrible death, hate that dude.
    Last edited by soups818; 11-27-2012 at 02:37 PM.

Hugh Conway Guest
    now that Lucky's pinched he gets out, buys tickets for all the mob to a fight, and has Rothstein teach him how to dress and act <- should make for a good series of scenes next season

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by soups818 View Post
    Finally an exciting show from start to finish, of course its the second to last one. For such a slow season at least its going to end awesome.

No way Richard dies, biggest badass on the show and he's his own man. He has no ties to anyone so no one wants him dead, let alone even knows/thinks about him. If he does I'm also done with the show. Also, I bet he takes out Gyp and Grandma Daugherty while he's banging her out or something, takes out half of Gyp's men in the process, gets Jimmy's kid and rides off into the sunset with his new girl. All the while no one knows what the fuck happened to Gyp and his men. My prediction at least.

Who cares about Margaret and the kids. I hope they went back to Ireland.

Hopefully Mickey gave him up and is found out. I want that fucker to die a horrible death, hate that dude.
    Works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    <- should make for a good series of scenes next season
    seems like the Lucciano AND Capone stories are setting up nicely for season 4...

I'm claiming Gillian offs Gyp whist performing some stranglubation.

I dug when Nucky went berserker with the shotgun through the door, though I was hoping Eddie was gonna shoot someone in the face.

Best show on tv

I wanna see Richard in a snipers nest blasting away at Gyps army.

The show is certainley more entertaining than the real story.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using TGR Forums

Richard kills Gyp and Gillian mid-fuck a la Jason Vorhees

you heard it here 1st

cant WAIT for tomorrow's episode!!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    Richard kills Gyp and Gillian mid-fuck a la Jason Vorhees

you heard it here 1st

cant WAIT for tomorrow's episode!!
    Sorry. Already called that out a couple posts back. I GET THE CREDTIZ!!!!

PAOW! Sucks we gotta wait for the next season.

Glad Gyp's gone. Nucky slays it.

Holy shit. RICHARD!!!!! FKNA

Why did he leave Gillian alive? and why did he leave his girly-girls like that? her dad even referred to it as "coming home", like he had accepted him and everything

Is Rothstein fucked? or what

why did he set up Lucciano??

Not sure why he left Gillian alive, but to your other questions...

Why did he leave Gillian alive? and why did he leave his girly-girls like that? her dad even referred to it as "coming home", like he had accepted him and everything
    He saved Tommy from a life a violence and debauchery. He's probably knows that his past and perhaps present will be full of both of those things and doesn't want Tommy around that.

Is Rothstein fucked?
    If anyone can get to Rothstein it's Andrew Mellon.

why did he set up Lucciano??[/QUOTE]
    Greed!

Nucky's line of something akin to, "big rat gets big-big" makes me think that Mickey may have been the guy to sell out Owen.

That said, I think Nucky's bid to have Mickey strike the deal with Rothstein only to set him up for Mellon was great. (Even though we don't know all the specifics).

Great final two episodes, hope next year's story lines are good.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by Slide of Franz View Post
    Not sure why he left Gillian alive, but to your other questions...

He saved Tommy from a life a violence and debauchery. He's probably knows that his past and perhaps present will be full of both of those things and doesn't want Tommy around that.

Is Rothstein fucked?
    If anyone can get to Rothstein it's Andrew Mellon.

why did he set up Lucciano??
    Greed![/QUOTE]

Yep. The major theme of the 3rd season is the price of greed and how being too big and excessive will bring you down. The show creator has said in interviews that in the next season the Nucky we saw in the season 3 opener, still working the public, playing the pharoh at the big party and strutting the Boardwalk - that Nucky will be gone. After surviving public assassination attempts in each season, he will become a much more secretive criminal, a manipulator in the shadows. Both Gillian and Eddie survive. It was also revealed that Nucky and Eli will form their own gang of enforcers, which perhaps means an alliance with Richard or, at least some new characters to replace Owen and Manny. Increased screen time will go to Chicago and NY storylines. Both Capone with the Chicago Outfit and Lucciano/Lansky/Siegel (the Broadway Gang, which eventually becomes the Gennovese mafia family) begin their rise to become modern legends. Rothstein's influence over his many proteges fades and along with it his powers; weakened, he goes from the guy who could fix the World Series to eventually being shot over a fixed card game.

Why did Richard leave Gillian alive? Well, that's a writer's decision...where else are you going to get a character that messed up plus an actress like Gretchen Mol to play her. Like Nucky at the end there. He knows she's a complete snake but he also knows that he delivered her up as a 12 year old to be repeatedly raped by Dabney Coleman and he made her what she is...
    Last edited by neckdeep; 12-27-2012 at 01:14 PM.

Finished season 3. Incredible show and the usual hbo quality production in the boardwalk, town, costumes, characters.

Gyp rosetti is frightening! Watch out for capone and company next season

First two episodes were enjoyable. A little slow, but they have a bunch of setting up to do before they can really move into too much more drama. I actually thought the Dr. was banging Dickie's wife and in on the whole thing and she was going to say good riddens to him.

How long till Nicky's nephew is involved with the family business?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using TGR Forums

No one cares about Boardwalk Empire any more? I did not see the downfall of Rothstein coming like that. Looks like Luccianno et al are stepping up.

Capone was one crazy mother fucker. I thought that they were going to turn that guy in the back of the bread truck. Probably could have if they weren't too busy being psychopaths.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    No one cares about Boardwalk Empire any more? .
    I still like the production quality but the first four new eps are a total snooze. For me, the writing started derailing as Nucky became a more sparsly written character. Basically, there is no Carmella Soprano or Skyler White character to push along Nucky's character development. First Margaret became really predictable and boring and that deprived the Nucky character of dramatic depth. Plus, Billie was just another "Nucky is more comfortable with shallow showgirls" plotline repeat and so, again, little new character development for Nucky. Gillian has mostly left Nucky's storyline, too. And now, close to nothing new. Even worse, the show simply does not continue with the darkness it built up around Nucky at the end of season 2 when he personally shot his former protege. Instead of the promised arch villain, we got a tepid Nucky who almost gets rolled up by a Rosetti, a reckless goofball psycho on the make. Endless greed is all we really see in Nucky and, honestly, its not the most interesting character flaw to work with, imho.

Tony Soprano was an interesting guy. You had a killer plagued by doubts and suffering from PTSD who goes to see a shrink to help himself adjust and perform in the reality of his world. But his world is an utterly amoral world where your uncle and mother might try to kill you and you kill people you know and can expect them same in return from them. Violence is never far away and showing any weakness can get you killed. The show constantly references the psychological toll living like this exacts and uses it to flesh out the characters we cared about, Tony's family, Christopher, Andrea and Bobby. There's nothing going on like that in Boardwalk.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 10-01-2013 at 09:15 AM.

Hugh Conway Guest
    The central problem is the peripheral characters - Rothstein, Lansky, Capone, Masseria, Luciano, Waxy Gordon, secretary mellon, gaston means, the new coldblooded hick FBI agent - have always been more interesting and better acted than the central characters so you sit through the dreck of Jimmy or Nucky or worse Van Alden to find a few bit performances on the side. Every show doesn't have to have a great central anti-hero, this one would have perhaps been better with an ensemble orientation

Still good production values and better than 90% of the shit out there.

Agreed. The ensemble/novel structure of The Wire is what makes it so great. The Wire is like a Bruegel painting where you can step back and look at its entirety or you can direct your gaze to a just a part and find interesting details. I suppose Boardwalk could have gone that way but since HBO had little ratings success with The Wire, why would they. Probably less than 10 million people have gotten through The Wire despite universal critical acclaim and BB and Walking Dead have pulled in up to 10 million viewers for single episodes. I know one other person who completed The Wire and about ten who like BB. Viewers want that complicated, fallible lead character. Walking Dead's got its Rick Grimes, ya know. The Wire was about the human condition so in its world too, every character was rather fallible....and the series ends with the two flawed heroes, Lester and Jimmy, being kicked off the police force for a long list of broken rules and insubordinations. We want anti-heros. Americans have been let down enough to know that heros are people too.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 10-02-2013 at 10:15 AM.

Interested in nd analysis on Richard. Fascinating character