Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Kastle MX78
    Kastle MX70
    especially if you can find either with the KTi plate.
    Click. Point. Chute.

so are any of these said old race or GS skis available flat? ie no system or track bindings? i.e. something I could put tele bindings on?
    I know tele is dumb, but I have spare tele bindings & don't have alpine boots.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    so are any of these said old race or GS skis available flat? ie no system or track bindings? i.e. something I could put tele bindings on?
    Most are intended to be mounted with plates but theoretically you could mount them flat. I don't remember if he has plates or not but one of the US tele team kids skis with us and he's rocking NTN bindings on some Rossi WC GS skis.

I'm writing this thinking I know how to fucking ski. That's it.

Sent from my cell phone. no, a cell phone.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

You could unscrew the plate on my gs skis.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TGR Forums
    Five minutes into the drive and you're already driving me crazy...

i inherited/stole some old cheater GSs from my father in law since he upgraded, the inevitable groomer days are much more fun. Don't puss out on the length

Quote Originally Posted by Prodigy View Post
    Most are intended to be mounted with plates but theoretically you could mount them flat. I don't remember if he has plates or not but one of the US tele team kids skis with us and he's rocking NTN bindings on some Rossi WC GS skis.
    I vaguely looked at skier cross skis a few years ago & seem to remember they all had tracks. Don't think I looked at race skis. Maybe I'll look again sometime, not a huge priority though.

I am no expert on race stuff, but the GS skis I got from a ski swap last year had a plate which the bindings then screwed too. You could put a tele binding direct onto this plate I think, you are gonna want it high because the high edge angles coupled with a narrow waste and a wide tele binder is going to be problematic (read impossible) if you mount straight to the ski.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    X-whatever on a used GS ski. Tons available cheap at each fall's ski swaps, and they're usually pampered and well-tuned.
    Plus one more. I got some old Fischer RC4s last year for 50 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by cstefanic View Post
    There's not a whole lot more fun that bombing a groomer on some cheater GS skis. I'm seventhing the idea above of get some older 21m skis for dead cheap and using and abusing them.

I still pack my Atomic 'race carv 180' when I drive over to France. So much early morning fun. Outrageous speeds, and can produce the shorter radius turns of you want, or lay out big GS turns at 100kmh.

Quote Originally Posted by jfost View Post
    man, this thread reminds me of why skiing almost died.

just buy a pair of what the a-holes are suggesting and try them out, bet you'll find them fun and challenging, with an emphasis on the fun.
    Well, la dee da. If only life were so easy. A good hardpack ski is hard to find, almost impossible to demo, and usually, expensive. And that's coming from an eastern skier. So, I understand why he's asking. Now I have to get back to my popcorn.

A good race ski with accompanying skier is a way different experience than what you are going to get from a rec. Ski. Especially something that's 112 underfoot. WC skis with a tune and skier confidence will arc on ice that made you shudder, snap your legs back under you at the end of a turn, and make speed feel slow. Best analogy is that WC race skis are like a F1 car, recreational carvers are like a stock Porsche and freeride skis are a supper up off road truck. Most drivers would have a hard time using the extra vehicle that comes with the F1 over the Porsche.

Rog is the slow skiing granny in a Lincoln who drives it everywhere :P

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    I have a pair of nordica sl skis sitting in my car waiting to be dropped off to have hammerheads mounted. Pulled the plate but could have mounted to the plate. I wanted to soften the skis a little and in my experience, hammerheads provide plenty of height to prevent boot out. Tele carving is a hoot.
    I'm in a band. It's called "Just the Tip."

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, la dee da. If only life were so easy. A good hardpack ski is hard to find, almost impossible to demo, and usually, expensive. And that's coming from an eastern skier. So, I understand why he's asking. Now I have to get back to my popcorn.
    yeah I guess for you EC'ers that may be the case. EVERY ski swap I've ever been to (Seattle/Reno) has cheap(ish) used race skis, RossiWC's, Fischer's, K2IV's with the piezoelectric crystals etc...
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

If your interested in a good cheater GS ski, I've been riding the atomic double deck GS with a 15 meter radius and coming off of a 23m ski-cross ski I found it really enjoyable. I found that they were a little shaky at really fast speeds but they can do those "snappy" SL turns.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeceman19 View Post
    If your interested in a good cheater GS ski, I've been riding the atomic double deck GS with a 15 meter radius and coming off of a 23m ski-cross ski I found it really enjoyable. I found that they were a little shaky at really fast speeds but they can do those "snappy" SL turns.

Nice three year old thread bump. Good job, very impressive first post!

Quote Originally Posted by Reeceman19 View Post
    those numbers seem off

I picked up some 2014 womens FIS redster double decks for only 199$ cheap cuz they changed the race format or sft, I am pretty sure they are 28M
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I've used race stock Fischer GS for a while but went back to kastle mx88s which are a lot more versatile for resort use, I still have my GS sticks but they come out less often now.
    I Came, I Saw, I .... Made A Slight Effort & Then Went Home For Lunch.

Updating my comment from 3+ years ago above --

I still like GS skis for those hardpack days, but as a word of warning, DH race skis are terrifying... or at least the 214 Salomons I bought from fat yeti are terrifying. They. Do. Not. Turn. There's a big difference between 192 GS skis and these.

Any Tahoesers who want to ski ridiculously fast and/or kill yourself on some DH skis, let me know, you're welcome to give them a shot. Mounted for 315 BSL with some 14-DIN bindings, so hopefully that's enough to hold your bad self in place.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Updating my comment from 3+ years ago above --

I still like GS skis for those hardpack days, but as a word of warning, DH race skis are terrifying... or at least the 214 Salomons I bought from fat yeti are terrifying. They. Do. Not. Turn. There's a big difference between 192 GS skis and these.

Any Tahoesers who want to ski ridiculously fast and/or kill yourself on some DH skis, let me know, you're welcome to give them a shot. Mounted for 315 BSL with some 14-DIN bindings, so hopefully that's enough to hold your bad self in place.
    My favorite description about DH boards is that, "They don't want to turn until you are going about 60. After that you can really lay them over."

Keep the raceplate when you mount your telebindings. Gives you lift for more power, and also lets you try different mount points without swiss cheesing ski. My racer kids tele too and we use old race skiis with plates as tele skis - they rip!

I'll check back in to say that my 195 Superbros are awesome for flat out groomer speed days. Try to coax a pair out of somebody's garage.

Many of the full high end race skis (commonly called FIS approved race stock, or pro stock) come with plates- Fischer is the most common one I've had experience with. Most are set up with an insert and screw set-up for the mount. So they can be removed from the ski completely and the ski could be flat mounted as long as the inserts are not in the way of your binding mount- whether that is Tele/AT binders or traditional binders. Volkl sells their skis flat and have a plate that is sold separately. My slalom skis were flat. A few companies sell skis with the integrated system binding plates installed. These usually require and lock you into a single brand of binders (Again Rossi comes to mind with their Look/Rossi binders set up for easy mounting of their binding (for companies that do not own a binding company the binding company they partner with)

Some of the cheater GS skis- less than the FIS designated side cut raduis and maybe shorter than the FIS would allow, have plates that are system bindings (to use Volkl as an example- using a pair of Marker bindings)

I was told the rules changed and the new courses are set with a different turn radius so the Redsters we picked up for 199$ are still very much rocking race skis they just don't work on the new courses which doesn't matter cuz I'm not racing
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Evil E View Post
    every early season i suffer skiing groomers with my skis. Im sick of arcing on 100+ on groomed and I want a race ski but I dont know what Im really looking for. Last year I loved the DPS cassiar in a 178 although my skis now range from 190 gotamas, dps 138 192, DPS 112 190cm. Yes, the 112 skis groomers, but i want a ski that is meant to do it and does it well. The cassiar would be perfect if the sidecut were a little bit less severe, but I still would get that ski if I could find one cheap, which isnt going to happen. Id rather have a gs ski that could be tricked into snapping off slalom turns when needed than a slalom ski whose turning radius is too short. What should I be looking for?
    Don't be intimidated by GS race skis. Even if they're longer and stiffer than what you are used to, you can grow into them by starting on green slopes and working up to blues, then blacks.

One of the big things about the FIS legal skis is that the longer turning radii means that you have to conceive of the mountain in a different way. No longer skiing short turns, but skiing longer arcs all the way down. For sure, the vertical/fall line part of the turn brings on real acceleration with any ski 27m or greater.

Check out these, for over 190:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Skis-/42814/...s+skis&_sop=15

Check out these for under 190:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Skis-/42814/...s+skis&_sop=15[/I]

If I were buying, I'd go new with these Fischers from ASO GEAR in Ontario. I've bought from them for well over a decade and they are very reliable. Those skis will last forever.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-Fischer...item2c8db83fce

The Fischers come with a good factory tune and I believe those plates can be drilled for any binding. If you weigh over 175, you should be able to learn these skis.

Remember, round arcs. GS turns in and out the gates are the same: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHR_AA8Vajw

GS skis are really great in everything but deep pow.