Manaslu Binding Freedom

I've been a short time member here and just scored a pair of Dynafit Manaslu's from Shorty_J for a great price so I though I should do something potentially stupid with them for the benefit of the TGR community.

I did a bit of research and this has not been very well documented so I though I would show you what I did.

Sorry about the crappy phone pictures

New skis
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0081.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	124710

They had been drilled a few times:

Name:	IMG_0084.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	124737

Big holes:

Name:	IMG_0085.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	124711

Guess my warranty is void

Name:	IMG_0087.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	124712

Binding inserts installed

Name:	IMG_0089.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	124713

Epoxy is still wet

Name:	IMG_0090.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	124714

I'll be sure to post details once i've had a chance to try them out.

Big shout out to the TGR community for all the great tech info provided!
    Last edited by ferniebiker; 11-05-2012 at 02:58 PM.

I have those skis. So, you pulled out the plugs and the hole was correct for the insert?
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Nope, drilled the insert out to 6.5x9.5, tapped it, lots of epoxy and installed like you would on any other ski.

^ That is so fucking sketchy. I predict that you rip the binding w/ inserts right out of the ski

I'll be watching. I fixed two spinners with custom turned hardwood dowels. So far so good. BTW. I found that the recommended mounting decal did not work for my 320 bsl Garmonts. Also, word was to mount that model as far forward as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by samthaman View Post
    ^ That is so fucking sketchy. I predict that you rip the binding w/ inserts right out of the ski
    I guess we will see won't we? I'm not very concerned as there was a bunch of insert left and the tapping was way cleaner than any wood cores that I have tapped. The threads fit it really tight and with the epoxy, I feel safe with the setup.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    I'll be watching. I fixed two spinners with custom turned hardwood dowels. So far so good. BTW. I found that the recommended mounting decal did not work for my 320 bsl Garmonts. Also, word was to mount that model as far forward as possible.
    These are mounted in the only location that would work since i'm on radical ft bindings.

I'm impressed. And I think it'll work great. The Dynafit factory inserts aren't really much of a step up from standard plastic inserts like the ones pictured below. They factory inserts are NOT T-nutted like K2 tele skis. I reckon this is an improvement over the factory inserts.

Quote Originally Posted by samthaman View Post
    Why is it sketchy? Just trying to figure out your rational.

2 big days of touring and my bindings are still attached

Is there any update to this setup? Just picked up a pair of Slu's and wanting to install inserts myself.

These are mounted in the only location that would work since i'm on radical ft bindings.[/QUOTE]

I think you can move them forward by drilling all new holes. (At least) Some Manaslus have a pre-punched divot in front of the two most forward holes on the toe, which I assume they did so you could move a little forward with a rad or tlt binding. You could move the rear up to two cm forward it would seem if you really wanted to. Just a thought...

Quick update...
    I've put probably 20 days on this setup so far with no issues. At first I was concerned that with the Loctite, I may unthread the factory insert when I removed the bolts but this hasn't been an issue. I've skied them pretty hard (for the ski) a few times doing some 10-15 foot drops. So far so good.

Thanks for the update. Now that I have a 2nd brand new touring rig and NO F***KING SNOW, I'm going to do that.