Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Great opening weekend for sure!

Prepared and Powdered....
    I have mastered all major sporting activities to a high degree of mediocrity.

Good stuff.

Also awesome buffed cement in the local bc on Monday.

butters stomped a nice sized drop!

Saw some decent sized storm slabs in the upper parts of TJ & Hamil areas yesterday. Still real thin and 'adventurous' out that way. Some schwackage.

Fun storm.
    I'll be the hyena, you'll see.

^ Nice work fellas ^ Way to get after it...

maybe if I’m lucky you’ll knock on my door next time you head out that way
    "In a perfect world I'd have all 10 fingers on my left hand, so I could just use my right hand for punching."

Ha ha. Next storm fer sure.
    I'll be the hyena, you'll see.

Nice photos Upgrayedd

Couple laps on 5 and 10 so far, little crunchy but should soften up some more. Anyone else doing laps?

Skied Tues and Wed and had a blast. Tuesday the top was great, made about 12 Dave's laps in classic Mammoth windbuff. Wednesday was a wet snow day, but I lapped Gravy much of the day and had great turns. I didn't see many other people in there for some reason, but it had the best stuff on the mountain.

The base is great right now. I am curious to see just how much snow fell up top on Wed. I could see the top being really great right now. I spent all of Tuesday on Dave's, so I didn't get into the noids, but I the entrances looked great for November, from a distance at least.

I'm really excited for the season now. The base is already better than it was for most of last year.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

I hate you all. Can't believe I am on the east coast this year.
    Ein Berg ohne Absturzgefahr ist nur noch Attrappe. (Reinhold Messner)

http://mammothmountainweatherguy.com/

Sat 11/24 = 0″
    Sun 11/25 = 0″
    Mon 11/26 = 0″
    Tue 11/27 = 0″
    Wed 11/28 = 0″
    Thu 11/29 = 2-3″
    Fri 11/30 = 2-4″
    Sat 12/1 = 9-12″
    Sun -Wed 12/2 – 5 = 20-30″
    Yes, yes - dumpage on the way...
    "In a perfect world I'd have all 10 fingers on my left hand, so I could just use my right hand for punching."

Will they open the top with the wind they are predicting?

My experience at mammoth says no but other areas around the country keep spinning until like 60mph

sent from the future using my mind powers
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Will they open the top with the wind they are predicting?
    No.

My guess is the top will be closed from Thursday - Monday. Hopefully!

The Next Storm Cycle… Next chance for snow looks to be Wednesday into the following Tuesday. Models are showing 6 – 8 inches of water content with snow levels 8000 – 8500 Wednesday into early Sunday and then 7000 – 8000 feet and eventually down to 6000 feet early next week. Half this event could be rain down in the lower parts of town and at Canyon and Eagle.

Looks like a solid 4 – 6+ foot storm for 9000 feet and above on the way with base snow and powder at the end. If the storm tracks come just south a bit we could see massive additional footage. We will be updating the weather page with more news as it comes in at Mammoth Mountain Weather.
    http://mammothmountainweatherguy.com/

any more coverage pics or reports for the crest or other eastside areas. thx.

Was up at Hammil Lake this weekend, and ran into a few other fellow splitters from SoCal. I rode Hammil's east face while two others took on Hammil chute and the bowl. Verdict: very firm and icy. The wind hammered everything Fri/Sat nights. The sun was able to soften things up near the bottom, but as soon as the shadows crept in everything firmed up fast. Ski crampons were basically mandatory.

Also dug a couple pits. There was a 4" wind slab layer on top that released at CT-22 and a sugary faceted layer about 3-4" thick at the ground.

Sorry for the instagramed photos, I'll update with better pics tonight after I upload.

Potato sighting on the crest. First time splitboarding made the low tide approach interesting. Slopes were bulletproof and shark fins everywhere but after a long summer, stoke was still high.

Just call me Jeremy Jones

Yeeewwwww

Socal base camp
    Last edited by jetlag; 11-28-2012 at 11:24 AM.

Some proper photos...

Hmmmmm.....

Tuesday AM:

More western pacific TS phasing issues with new 12z GFS Run…..

Dweebs not happy with this particular run because how warm it will be.

Note: Snow levels and freezing levels are “not” the same!!

Overall still looking at two storms. The first rolls in Wednesday with “Freezing levels” about 8500 lowering to 7500 By Thursday AM. So snow levels will be below the level of town. IE a Plow for the plow guys by Friday AM

“Snowlevels” about 6.5K to 7K Wednesday then rising to 7500 to 8500 Thursday/NGT. QPF is .6 to 1.0 over the crest so some 3 to 6 inches is possible at the village with a foot+ at Main lodge by early Friday morning.

Freezing levels shoot up Friday afternoon with mainly rain/Snow mix at 8000ft. Then all rain in town Saturday afternoon through Sunday Morning as the freezing level in saturated air is at 10K. By Sunday afternoon the freezing levels come down along with the snow level. Snowfall accumulation increases again at 8000 ft beginning later in the afternoon and continues through Sunday night into Monday AM. 6 inches+ a possibility between late Sunday PM and Monday AM at the village.. 8050 ft

The crest will likely get 3 feet Plus of wet snow above 10,500 ft.

The snow will dry out late in the day Sunday into the night with falling temps with a foot+ additional between mid afternoon Sunday and Monday AM at the main lodge.

Next update this evening…..or sooner if warrented….
    http://mammothweather.com/2012/11/27...itation-event/

Sounds like more good base snow. Hopefully snow levels are a bit lower than anticipated. If not, at least the top should get coated with more good base.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Quote Originally Posted by pajamas View Post
    any more coverage pics or reports for the crest or other eastside areas. thx.
    I'll bite, with my first post here...

I skied from the Hemlock saddle down and OB, basically to Red's Meadow (stopped a hundred blowdown-littered yards short). For my first skiing of the season, I was pleasantly surprised with the ski quality. The bulk of the run was a sort of "young corn"... Good predictable, supportable skiing. Report's largely moot now, with more snow coming in. But it should indicate that the base has lasted, even down low, and will keep folks up off the rocks these next few stormy days.
    Bad photo, good tracks, good snow.

Anyone have some beta on a place to sleep in the car in town a la Walmart? What about Bishop?

freind slept in employee lot at main
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

I've slept in the motel6 lot a couple times

Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post
    Anyone have some beta on a place to sleep in the car in town a la Walmart? What about Bishop?
    Bishop is a good place to car camp unless snow levels are high and you can camp out at Smokeybear Flats or Deadman Creek Rd. Both those locations are out by 395 in the scenic loop vicinity and the slopes of White Wing. When snow levels lower or if you don’t have 4x4, Bishop is good go to spot.

Based on Howards weather report and cam page for today, looks like you could camp out at Smokeybear if you go out there today.

I usually leave North SDCo later evening hours and stop to camp at the Bishop Boulders “Buttermilk Country” as it’s always been an ideal spot with usually dry camping and snow right upslope on Basin Mtn or Mt Locke and the surrounding slopes. One note; over the past few months LA City has posted day use only in many of the former camping spots that fell on City lands, but still plenty camp spots to be had on BLM/USFS/Co. To access boulders and camping, go west on 168 out and up the grade towards Starlite Estates and look for Buttermilk Rd on right. If you go all the way to Starlite Dr turn around and just head down the hill to Buttermilk Rd. Plus if you boulder or attempt to, it's a fun spot for that or to watch others climb.

Another spot is right off 395 on the east side just north of town at the “Pit” out by happy boulders off Pleasant Valley Rd.

Overall Bishop isn’t a bad staging area with Vons for food and gas and runs up hwy-168 towards South Lake or up 395 towards Mammoth
    Last edited by Edwin; 11-28-2012 at 04:46 PM.

thx for the coverage updates. now we just need that snow level to stay low

Good info on Bishop up above by Edwin. Official spots in the Winter are The Pit and Pleasant Valley Campground.
    http://www.inyocountycamping.com/ple...ampground.html
    http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/bisho...camping_b.html

Or stop at Wilson's East Side sports on Main Street for info.

Vons in Mammoth legally allows you to park from 6am - 2am, and the town uses the Vons parking lot to store their vehicles overnight and when they are not in use. So just slide in between one of the town cars for the 4hrs of illegal parking and hope for the best, with that said, I have done this many, many times and never been called on it. Good luck & stay warm...

Snow day, woot woot.

The snow was all over the place today, dry & light, then back to heavy & wet, and even rain at some points, but a super fun day for sure. Tomorrow should be fun as well...

^^^I thought you were not headed back up to after the weekend. You live there now?

jtran, look at old Mammy Summit threads and find Fort FKNA 1, 1.2, 2, 2.2, 2.3, 3, 4 and 4.1. Plenty of great spots to legally sleep just off the scenic route. You may be killed by a crazy ax murderer, but you will not be hassled by the police. One of those spots should be good to go until there is snow pack down below town.
    Last edited by Ottime; 11-29-2012 at 02:38 PM.