Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast
    At this point, there is a 500 foot traverse on third class terrain and you climb through a key-hole, followed by another traverse back right below the wall of the upper half of the route (that you cannot see from the bottom). It was crazy how big this wall is! Photo: Enginerd

UCL with the coiled rope to head over below the next pitch (we were on a huge ledge with a lot of walking). Photo: Enginerd

A cool series of 5.7 crack systems heading up. Photo: Enginerd

UCL leading up – although there were some route finding issues as there was supposed to be some bolts for a pendulum swing that I couldn’t find. We made due and traversed into a gully system heading up with fun climbing. Photo: Enginerd

Cool shot of Enginerd coming out of the gully below the final pitch to the top of the route. Photo: UCL

Lone Pine and the valley floor off in the distance. Photo: Enginerd

Mt. Langley off in the distance. Photo: Enginerd

The obligatory top of the route shots – plenty of sunlight left! Photos: Enginerd, UCL

I had not climbed in quite some time before this trip and didn’t tape my hands. I paid the price! For the rest of the trip I made some serious taped gloves, and even climbed easier parts of routes when following and tallus hoping on approaches with $5 leather work gloves from the Bishop hardware store. Photo: Enginerd

The descent is, well, long. However, as far as Eastern Sierra descents go, it is very easy. There is no tallus, which is great. What is even better is it is endless sand-hills which you can literally run and “ski” down more or less. Yes, your shoes get filled with dirt, but it is fun and very fast. Photo: UCL

And I mean endless scree and sand hills. UCL showing the slow-down technique. Photo: UCL

Unfortunately, at the bottom you are on the other-side of a deep gorge from your car and you have to walk down a road until a “trail” crossing the river is visible. A word to the wise – just walk down the dirt road for a mile or two until the road doglegs sharp left as if heading towards Bishop. That is where you turn for the trail. It is a long way past the car, unfortunately.

We left our gear by the road down there and split up – I sprinted ahead up to the old stone hut to get our overnight gear, and Enginerd got the gar to go get the climbing gear we just ditched. Worked perfectly and we were able to get down to Lone Pine for Mexican food before they closed! Photo: Enginerd

Parts II, III and IV to come.

Thanks for the tr.sounds like awesome climbing.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using TGR Forums

2013 High Sierra Week – Part II – Temple Crag – Venusian Blind Arête

Climbers: Enginerd & UCL

Dates: Monday, May 13 – Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Photos: Enginerd & UCL (as noted)

Synopsis: After climbing the Direct South Face of Lone Pine Peak, Enginerd and I headed back the next morning to try and get permits for the North Fork of Big Pine Creek. Our initial soft plans going in were to hike in that Monday and set up a camp by Second or Third Lake, and climb Venusian Blind Arête on Tuesday, followed by Moon Goddess Arête on Wednesday (both of which we ended up doing). We then tentatively planned to move camp up beyond Sam Mack Meadows to the Palisade Glacier, with a potential objective of climbing Starlight Buttress on Starlight Peak. More on that later.

Heading back for potentially five days up by Temple Crag and the Palisades with climbing gear involves quite a bit of sorting in the parking lot. Photo: Enginerd

Despite our best efforts to keep weight down, the packs are heavy. Climbing gear and food alone get the weight up fast! Enginerd doing his best to geek out with the sun hat, and I am clearly pumped about the weight! Photos: Enginerd, UCL, respectively

Right out of the trailhead you are simply blown away by the beauty of this area – honestly the entire Big Pine area might be my favorite place in the Eastern Sierra. Here, we are looking down the South Fork of Big Pine Creek off towards Norman Clyde Peak. Photo: UCL

We headed up the North Fork trail, which is really a perfect trail with amazing views and scenery. Photo: Enginerd

Words really cannot describe the beauty of Temple Crag in front of Second Lake. The glacial silt from the Palisade Glacier gives each of the seven lakes an amazing turquoise hue. Photo: UCL

I can't but help include yet another self-timer photo. The routes we climbed the next two days are part of the Celestial Arêtes. From the left of the skyline, the first spiky arête visible in the sun is Venusian Blind Arête. To its very close right is Moon Goddess Arête. Further to the right (in the middle of the snowfield) is Sun Ribbon Arête. Finally, the prominent spire in on the right corner of the peak is Dark Star (which is technically not part of the Celestial Arêtes. Photo: UCL

We continued up from Second Lake to Third Lake, which was deserted. We set up an awesome camp, surrounded on three sides with water and with amazing views of Dark Star. Photo: UCL

After eating some food, we went to bed early for an early start in the morning. Photo: UCL

The morning was pretty cold, but warmed up as the sun rose over the peaks. Photo: UCL

Up at 4 AM, we were quickly brewing up some water for breakfast and sorting gear for what expected to be an awesome climb. Photo: Enginerd

Temple Crag was calling. Photo: UCL

Although we had brought both aluminum crampons and ice axes, we had debated the night before back and forth about what to bring (if anything). It was warming enough in the day to certainly soften the snow and up until that day had not been getting too cold at night. I tested some snow by our tent which seem pretty hard, so we decided to not take the crampons (as we didn't want to climb with them), but to take ice axes (which we could throw down the snowfield from the base). We figured we can do our best to kick in steps with approach shoes and rely heavily on the axes for self-arrest if needed.

We also assumed we could climb fast enough to descend Contact Pass before a re-freeze started (which we did).

Happy to have the axe here, though. Photo: UCL

Waiting for the sun to catch up, but still pressing on. Photos: Enginerd, UCL, respectively

It was a beautiful morning – and that is putting it lightly! Photo: Enginerd

Continued....

Part II continued..

We got to the base of the climb, and it was still pretty cold but warming up. Still rocking the belay jacket as Enginerd took off on Pitch 1. We lead in blocks of 3-4 on this route, and felt that it worked well to move quickly. Photos: Enginerd, UCL, respectively

Looking back down at the first belay (as we had climbed third/fourth class terrain until there). Photo: Enginerd

UCL following up lower on the route. Photo: Enginerd

Then the climbing got awesome! Enginerd working over one of endless towers. Venusian Blind Arête offers amazing, interesting climbing with exposure on all sides. Photo: UCL

UCL following over the tower – so much fun – and then arriving at the next belay ledge with Third Lake, Fourth Lake and Fifth Lake off in the distance. Photo: Enginerd

We swapped leads and I headed off for an awesome block of pitches. Photo: Enginerd

Looking down at Enginerd during parts of the climb. The High Sierra kills it! Endless towers to climb over. Photos: UCL

We swapped leads again, and the route kept getting better and better. Enginerd leading off the next block of pitches. Photo: UCL

Comfy belay ledge with a view! Photo: Enginerd

UCL posing down on yet another tower! Photo: Enginerd

And then heading off for the last block of pitches to the top. Photos: Enginerd

After a brief rappel on a tower. Photos: Enginerd

And towards the top of the route. Photos: Enginerd

We then left the climbing gear and headed off to the super exposed summit of Temple Crag. On the way, checking out Sun Ribbon Arête. Photo: UCL

Up at the top you are treated to amazing views of the Palisades (or a portion of them, that is!). Photos: Enginerd

We signed the summit register and took in the views, chilling up there for quite a bit. Photo: UCL

A big, multi-shot panorama of the Middle and Northern Palisades. Photo: UCL

It started clouding up though, and getting really windy. We were worried about weather moving in, so we headed down. Norman Clyde Peak starting to get hammered a bit. Photo: Enginerd

And with a quick rap down to Contact Pass, we started to headed back to camp, looking forward to Moon Goddess Arête the next day. Photo: Enginerd

Part III to come.

My 4 year old filmed some skiing at Mammy over Memorial Day

UCL. Awesome. Keep it coming. I'm headed into the Palisades in a few weeks and love these pics!

2013 High Sierra Week – Part III – Temple Crag – Moon Goddess Arête

Dates: Wednesday, May 15 – Thursday, May 16, 2013

Synopsis: Upon returning to our camp at Third Lake after climbing Venusian Blind Arête, we settled in for yet another 4 AM wake-up to go climb Moon Goddess Arête the following day. That night the winds were picking up pretty strongly, clouds were increasing and the temperature dropped pretty significantly.

We woke up very early and got moving again for the early start, despite the frigid early morning temps. Enginerd moving quickly as the sun rises over Dark Star. Photo: UCL

We got to the frozen snow apron, once again electing to just take ice axes that we would throw down from the base of the climb. The steps we had kicked in the day before helped make the approach go very quick. Photo: UCL

Similar to the day before, we elected to lead in blocks of pitches, including simuling the first several pitches at the base. Fortunately, Enginerd gave me the first block today and I hurriedly headed up into the sun to warmth. Photo: Enginerd

The sun was starting to warm up the day a bit, although later in the day we would definitely have the belay jackets back on for portions of the climb. At least the first half of the day was completely blue bird without too much wind. Looking down at Enginerd below. Photo: UCL

Yet another awesome day, as Enginerd heads up to where we are going to start pitching out. Photo: UCL

Heading up into some interesting terrain. Photo: Enginerd

The climbing started getting awesome – really amazing pitches for the remainder of the climb to the top. Here, an awesome traversing pitch around a tower that is super exposed and fun face climbing. Photo: Enginerd

I really enjoyed that pitch – a shot of Enginerd following with the exposure. Awesome climbing! Photo: UCL

From here the climbing continued – sustained, well protected climbing on great crack features. Enginerd leading up. Photo: UCL

A cool shadow shot from Enginerd on the side of Sun Ribbon Arête. Photo: Enginerd

Higher up on the route, Enginerd getting ready to try and find the traverse and down-climb around the next tower. Admittedly, we got a little lost here for a while. The route description was a little ambiguous, although it did stress not to climb too high. Well, we did climb too high at first, but Enginerd down climbed and eventually found the way to go. Unfortunately, the wind was absolutely howling and I was freezing! Enginerd, smiling that he thinks he found the way. Photo: UCL

We went around the corner and down and found the traverse over below the next pitch up. At this point, I was warming up a bit out of the wind and wearing a belay jacket, but being out of the sun on a North facing portion of the route was a pretty dramatic change from the other sections. For one, the rock was pretty snowy and wet. Enginerd traversing over to the next belay ledge. Photo: UCL

I took the next pitch to try and warm up – it was a nice pitch straight up a gully-type system heading for his huge hanging book feature. I could see the sun at the top, but unfortunately my hands were really cold. I zippered up that pitch with gear as I was feeling so stiff from the cold! Photo: Enginerd

We got back out in the sun, which was awesome! Enginerd following below. Sweet stance! Photo: UCL

Sitting at the belay stance, riding the bull! Photo: Enginerd

There is a brief rap in towards the upper portions of the route, before heading up an absolutely awesome 5.8 hand crack system. Getting ready to rap down. Photo: Enginerd

Here I am, pumped on the climb. Remember when I trashed my hands on the first climb of the Direct South Face of Lone Pine Peak – well at that point they had scabbed a ton. Nothing like some solid tape gloves (with some finger tape) to remedy the situation. I still have them – will be good for crack climbing this summer! Photo: Enginerd

UCL following along – an amazing route. Photos: Enginerd

Enginerd at the top, pumped on the climb. Photo: UCL

Two days, two amazing routes on Temple Crag will put a smile on your face! Photo: Enginerd

Although, admittedly that was a humble smile. Unfortunately, it was evident some weather was moving in and we wanted to get down to camp. So we pushed down Contact Pass to pick up our axes. When we got there, it was evident the sun earlier in the day had warmed up the lower snow apron and dislodged some huge boulders, creating a wide trench on the snow.

So we look around for our axes for a bit – needless to say the odds were horrible for us and it was clear that the one tiny area of the snow apron this occurred is where our axes were!

Fortunately, we were able to find mine pretty quickly towards the edge of one of the snow runnels. We dug for Enginerd’s for quite a while. Photo: Enginerd

One other party had come down at that point from another route (they got off route on Venusian Blind so we are not even sure what they climbed) and also couldn’t find there stuff. Good guys and we were all joking around – they were the only other party we saw up in the area for during our three days up by Third Lake.

Just when we had abandoned all hope for Enginerd’s axe, he let out a loud howl and took off running – turns out, it wasn’t even in the trajectory of the slide! It was like 50 feet away and we had missed it.

Heading back to camp we were super happy, although worried about the weather putting a damper on the next day. Our primo camp spot by Third Lake. Photo: Enginerd

At camp we had dinner and discussed our plan. We were too tired that night to try and move camp up to the Palisades Glacier as original planned, so we definitely intended on sleeping there. For a while we discussed the idea of getting up very early (like 2 AM) for a single push to Starlight Buttress, but it became evident neither of us wanted to get up that early yet again. We were also worried about heading all the way up there the next day to only get shut down by the weather – as there had clearly been a shift and storms were moving in earlier in the day.

So we decided to sleep in and head out the next day with the potential goal of climbing Charlotte Dome over the next couple of days.

Fortunately, we woke up and the sky was completely grey and shocked in over the higher peaks – we had made the right call. We packed up and headed down to the car thinking about possibly getting permits and starting the 10 mile hike to Charlotte Dome that day.

On the hike out after three amazing days and one morning up by Temple Crag. Photo: Enginerd

We got down to the Bishop Ranger Station and checked the weather report. It was calling for snow that night and the next day about 10K. Enginerd and I both had pretty worked feet at this point from our approach shoes. We debated whether we wanted to make the 20 mile round trip approach to Charlotte Dome. We also were worried that Charlotte Dome was going to get snow at the top and potentially be wet from melting when we were trying to climb it.

So we brainstormed a bit, and decided we wanted to totally change it up and do something with a very alpine feel up in the snow in mountain boots. That way our feet would be fine, and snow on the rock would be no issue (and in fact welcome!). We decided that we would hike into the base of Bear Creek Spire the next day, and climb the Northeast Ridge of Bear Creek Spire the morning after.

So we got permits and headed off to the Green Church hot springs for a soak with a view of the White Mountains. Photo: Enginerd

Part IV to come.

2013 High Sierra Week – Part IV– Bear Creek Spire – N.E. Ridge & Tuolumne Meadows

Dates: Friday, May 17 – Sunday, May 19, 2013

Synopsis: We awoke Friday morning to clearing skies and what looked like a dusting of snow up on the high peaks. The clouds were still engulfed on the Sierra Crest, but weather forecasts called for a general clearing trend. Our plan was to hike in from Mosquito Flat trailhead towards the Rock Creek area to camp at a lake near the base of Bear Creek Spire, and get an early alpine start Saturday morning.

Given we were only going in for one night, we really tried to shed down on the weight and pack size. For climbing gear, we were only taking one of our double ropes and a very minimal alpine rack, as well as aluminum crampons and light axes. Enginerd pleased with his light pack at Mosquito Flat trailhead. Photo: Enginerd

Right out of the gate at Mosquito Flat Trailhead you are at 10,300 ft. It is the highest road accessible trailhead in the Eastern Sierra. From there, you are instantaneously in Little Lakes Valley surrounded by the huge peaks of the Rock Creek drainage. Photo: UCL

It is a spectacular area year round – with both amazing climbing, skiing, backpacking and fly fishing. Photo: Enginerd

Although in the middle of the summer, Enginerd was mentioning that the name Mosquito Flat earns it name. Fortunately, we were here very early season and it was too cold for the mosquitos to arrive. I definitely want to come back in the Fall when the bugs are also gone to do some fly fishing and backpacking. Photo: Enginerd

The approach was very smooth, as the cloud cover and wind helped a bit with avoiding post-holding through wet snow. While sometimes the clouds trap in the heat and make it worse, we lucked out and were able to get up high quickly where the snow was still fairly hard. Photo: UCL

UCL heading up, with Little Lakes Valley in the distance. Photo: Enginerd

After a bit of talus hopping, we were treated to awesome views of Bear Creek Spire! Photo: UCL

We kept pushing along, hoping to get as close as possible with the ability to still kick through ice on the frozen lakes to have access to water. Photo: Enginerd

Yeah, I would say this looks like a perfect spot to camp! Photo: Enginerd

We set up camp and chilled out, sorting gear for the next day. Just before dinner, we were treated to some awesome alpenglow on the next day's objective. Photo: UCL

Room with a view! Photo: Enginerd

We cooked dinner outside on some rocks, but man it got cold quick! We headed back to the tent to brew drinks and chill. Given how fast we got up there and how cold it was out, there was nothing better to do than drink a ton of liquids and pass out. I would swear it was still sunny out when I was asleep! Photo: UCL

The next morning we got up early, but not super early due to the cold, and were moving pretty quickly. The prominent vertical face on the corner is the North Arête of Bear Creek Spire. Enginerd had climbed that before, but it is definitely still on my tick list. The Northeast Ridge (or sometimes called the North Ridge) is just to looker's left of the North Arête. It starts with blocky terrain, working up towards the North Arête where they link together towards the final ridge and the amazing knife platform summit of Bear Creek Spire. Photo: UCL

We were both feeling good and rested, and we absolutely motored the approach. In eventuality, the entire climb was extremely fast and we were up and down, packed up camp and back at the car heading to get pizza in Mammoth by 2 PM. Enginerd heading up the frozen snow – crampons were a big help. Photo: UCL

Following up, feeling good. It was fun to do an approach and climb that was much different than all of the others during the trip. The ice and snow, and climbing in mountain boots, offered a cool switch on the trip. Photo: Enginerd

We soloed for a long time over easy fourth class terrain up the lower ridge. There were a lot of cool formations to work through.

Enginerd working up towards the tower. Photos: UCL

Enginerd continuing up cool, varied terrain that was still easy enough to not warrant getting the rope out. Photo: UCL

UCL posing down on the tower. Ha! Photos: Enginerd

The features of the rock in this area were really cool. Photo: UCL

Following up to meet up with Enginerd. Photos: Enginerd

We started to hit snow and the terrain started to get more exposed and warranted pulling out the rope. Nothing like some post-holing right before the first belay! Photo: UCL

We hit terrain that started getting more varied and exposed and roped up. Our plan was just to simul climb all the way to the summit in two really long, continuous pitches. Enginerd took lead first. Photos: UCL

Switching leads higher up the route. I had led to here which is just below the summit block, but the rope drag was really bad so we switched for one last time. We were moving efficiently and having a great time. The weather was absolutely perfect! Photo: UCL

Continued...

The summit of Bear Creek Spire is very small, with only one person able to fit on it at a time. It is right behind Enginerd in this picture. Photo: UCL

Looking back at me from Enginerd's position. Photo: Enginerd

I climbed up to the summit first – really a very small point with a nice boulder problem to get up on top. It was a spectacular summit. Photo: Enginerd

Just a shy bit under 14,000 ft., but plenty exposed! Photos: UCL

A multi-shot panorama looking West from the summit. Photo: UCL

I went back down and we switched leads and Enginerd headed up on belay. Photo: UCL

Enginerd and I were trying to figure out what couloir that is – it is looking West from the summit. Anyway, it is a way back there, but looked pretty awesome. Photo: Enginerd

Rapping back down to start the descent. Photo: UCL

Awesome glacial blue water up there. Photo: Enginerd

Like I mentioned above, we got back to the car and were driving to Mammoth around 2 PM. We got some pizza and a beer, but knew we wanted to save room for Mo Mart over on Tioga Pass. We headed over there for dinner of the famous Lobster Taquitos and Fish Tacos, and enjoyed a good amount of beer! It was a great time and we just camped out by Mono Lake.

We woke up on Sunday, realizing what a great week it had been. Both of us wanted to be back in the Bay Area early-ish on Sunday to catch up on work emails and sort gear. However, when driving through Tuolumne Meadows you can't not climb at least something! We went with the easiest access at Stately Pleasure Dome to climb West Crack.

I took the first pitch, heading up by the belay. Photo: Enginerd

Enginerd took the awesome 5.8 lieback pitch. Totally different than all the climbing we had been doing all week – it was fun to change it up on some smooth, polished granite. Photo: UCL

Following the second pitch, with Tenaya Lake in the background. I love smooth slab climbing. Photo: Enginerd

UCL took the third pitch – classic run out bolted Tuolumne slab climbing. Photo: Enginerd

Finally, Enginerd took the fourth pitch – I love this shot. Photo: UCL

Enginerd coiling up the rope for the walk-off at the top, with a very cold Tenaya Lake in the background. And Half Dome off in distance. Photos: UCL

What a way to end a week of climbing! Photo: Enginerd

A special thanks to Enginerd for yet another awesome series of adventure throughout the High Sierra. We had a great time, shared some funny stories and ate way too much freeze dried food.

It was an awesome trip, but I was also really happy to get back to Sarah on Sunday. She was very excited to have me home, and I also can't go without thanking her for letting me take off on these adventures! Some more climbing this summer and hiking with Sarah around Tahoe, with all while looking forward to our wedding this September!

Nice climbing tr, looks like lots of fun!

No more posts means no more snow on the eastside?

Anyone knows how north peak is holding up?

Now with the taxi running?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using TGR Forums

pretty sure thats feather peak.

^^ agree. exact framing of that photo is found in one of the moynier ski touring books.

nice climbing photos and TR.

Saddlebag next week. Any recent reports?
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Snowed on the Eastside, yes?

Any pics to fill the dark void in this beach boy’s heart...
    "In a perfect world I'd have all 10 fingers on my left hand, so I could just use my right hand for punching."

Maybe time to start the 2013/14 thread PW7?
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Maybe time to start the 2013/14 thread PW7?
    Damn, my jong-ass feels all tingly inside (see what I did there ).

I move into my spot in June the last week of October so I was going to start a new thread then or after the first big dump that we can actually ski. Though...I get it if someone with more street cred wants to start one first

Snagged this pick from my crew who was on it this morning.

picture by ofset 9/22/13

"In a perfect world I'd have all 10 fingers on my left hand, so I could just use my right hand for punching."

Last week of October. That is just when the surf is gonna arrive down your way. And clearly, winter has already started.

Is that a grassy patch they shussed down? Looks like a few good inches fell.

Dang PW7, not sure what would get me more excited. First tracks of 13/14 or the first winter swell that hopefully shows up this Thursday. Maybe you can show a jong the side country ropes this season, when I am up in June Lake.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Maybe you can show a jong the side country ropes this season, when I am up in June Lake.
    For sure! Shit...this year I am literally living in the Yost drainage so my front yard is the side country, WOOT

Just wanted to give a shout out and THANK YOU to CAVEMAN

I just went through his BIG Climbing TR from June, Well done!
    Thank you for taking the time to put all that up for us too see.

Brings back very old memories, West of Big Pine is where my very first Deer Hunting memories took place in the early 70's. with my Grandpa who has long ago passed away
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

+1 to props Nick. After scrolling through yesterday, I thought (1) nice and (2) damn, he spent some time putting this together.

That looks better than a grass schuss PW. I'm ready for the powz!

Pics from this last week and some snow accumulating up high already

http://discovermammoth.com/image-gal...week/index.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    +1 to props Nick. After scrolling through yesterday, I thought (1) nice and (2) damn, he spent some time putting this together.
    Oh yeah, THIS ^^

That was some TR and definitely got lost in the mix last year, solid - solid work fellas!
    ---------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post
    That looks better than a grass schuss PW. I'm ready for the powz!
    Word...

picture by ofset 9/22/13