Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    JIMW RODE SOMETHING THAT'S NOT OFF THE PLATEAU!!!!!!!!!
    Not 'cuz I wanted to ...

... and if it was still within sight of it does it still count?

Quote Originally Posted by jimw View Post

... and if it was still within sight of it does it still count?
    Baby steps man.

Baby steps.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

One Trip - One Photo: Eastern Sierra, I love you!

1st row: Solstice Couloir, Powerhouse Fin, Red Slate
    2nd row: Cat's Ears Couloir, North Peak North Couloir, Dana Couloir
    3rd row: Powerhouse Main, Emerson Couloir, Leavitt Y Couloir
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eastern_sierra.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	897.5 KB 
ID:	137326  
    Ein Berg ohne Absturzgefahr ist nur noch Attrappe. (Reinhold Messner)

Ha, that collage is sweet looking!

Good thing that's not a beta post, because those pics all look the same.

J/K. Sounds like a solid trip, nice work! BTW that's not the Powerhouse Fin, that's the Powerhouse Off-Camber Death Exposure But A Little Less Steep entrance. The real Powerhouse Fin is the riders left entrance to the main chute (like POCDEBALLS it's also less steep, and also, um, has some exposure):

I should know because according to kidwoo, that's the only place I ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Franz Klammer View Post
    Nice. So much goodness in one shot. How was Dana?

Good thing that's not a beta post, because those pics all look the same.

J/K. Sounds like a solid trip, nice work! BTW that's not the Powerhouse Fin, that's the Powerhouse Off-Camber Death Exposure But A Little Less Steep entrance. The real Powerhouse Fin is the riders left entrance to the main chute (like POCDEBALLS it's also less steep, and also, um, has some exposure):

I should know because according to kidwoo, that's the only place I ride.
    As discussed with 213, Nate and bcd really need to give proper names to some of the lines in the Eastern Sierra in their next edition.

Gutter Chute = Magic Carpet
    Powerhouse POCDEBALLS = ???
    Unknown Chute = French Yardsale (explanation in last year's thread)

(Photo: Franz Klammer)

One of my favorite things: The warm-day summitnap.

Last edited by AKbruin; 05-04-2013 at 09:59 AM.

As discussed with 213, Nate and bcd really need to give proper names to some of the lines in the Eastern Sierra in their next edition.
    Screw it. Do it right now. Those guys are too uncreative.

Gutter Chute = Magic Carpet
    Gutterball is actually pretty awesome. You hop a barrier in the periphery and enter the chute.......perfect.

Powerhouse POCDEBALLS = ???
    "Jim's House"

Unknown Chute = French Yardsale (explanation in last year's thread)
    Please..........."Frog Toss"

I thought not naming things was boring enough. You gotta do this right.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by w j b View Post
    Does anyone have beta for the Virginia Lakes area?
    I rode up there last weekend. It was fun then. Coverage was OK.

Nice pics AKBruin (and Franz). I had been thinking about doing Emerson but couldn't muster the motivation. Looks like it was worthwhile and that the snow was good the day you were there.

Oh and Franz, I gotta ask. I had some friends up on Dana last year see a dude try and down climb into one of the chutes and tommy to the bottom. Is that the 'incident' you're referring to??

I put this goofy vid on the splitboard site, might as well put it here too:

Last edited by UPGRAYEDD_2505; 05-04-2013 at 12:54 PM.
    I'll be the hyena, you'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by w j b View Post
    Nice. So much goodness in one shot. How was Dana?
    Thanks! Dana was by far the firmest of all the couloirs we skied this week.

Leavet Y Couloir

1st row: Solstice Couloir, Powerhouse Fin, Red Slate
    2nd row: Cat's Ears Couloir, North Peak North Couloir, Dana Couloir
    3rd row: Powerhouse Main, Emerson Couloir, Leavitt Y Couloir
    Franz booted and droped Y couloir solo yesterday was that your bootpack if so thanks. How would you rate the top 25 feet on the drop in compared to the other couloirs in your photos ? Powerhouse is spicier
    Did not have camera and wanted that same photo with the ski tips looking down Y.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    leavitt y couloir skied really well today@2.
    About 2-3"of soft snow.
    Skinned from the car at the first switchback w of the summit.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using TGR Forums
    Rod Thanks for the ride back up. Have a good volcano trip look forward to some pics.

Good to meet you too. Send some pics from Leavitt if you have them

Glad you two met up and got that.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Here's the story from last year:

Unknown Chute was AWESOME last year ... except for the added excitement that one person (a French dude who proclaimed: "I can ski anything!") joined us who should not have skied it -- I told him 20 times that it's "you fall you die" especially at the top where there is a double fall line. He made 2 turns on the soft snow on the (skier's) right turn before you come into the main chute and then he fell and went for a 1,000ft ride all the way on the apron! He disappeared into the main couloir and all I saw was a bundle of clothes shooting out of the couloir onto the apron at the bottom, but I could not see him. So I just kept thinking: "That stupid idiot is dead." His gear (skis, poles, helmet cam, phone) was scattered in the chute and I, as the last rider, had to pick it all up, so my own enjoyment was a little limited. God damn stupid idiot also then had the nerve to say: "I usually don't fall" but I just exploded in his face and gave him the biggest shellacking of his sorry life.

The photos I took of the first skier turned out magnificently though! The turns in the main chute were great on chalky snow, the entrance was very firm while, as you predicted, the curve into the main couloir with the runnel had very soft, almost rotten snow so sluff management was key.

POCDEBALLS = Jim's Powerhouse

Here's the story from last year:

Unknown Chute was AWESOME last year ... except for the added excitement that one person (a French dude who proclaimed: "I can ski anything!") joined us who should not have skied it -- I told him 20 times that it's "you fall you die" especially at the top where there is a double fall line. He made 2 turns on the soft snow on the (skier's) right turn before you come into the main chute and then he fell and went for a 1,000ft ride all the way on the apron! He disappeared into the main couloir and all I saw was a bundle of clothes shooting out of the couloir onto the apron at the bottom, but I could not see him. So I just kept thinking: "That stupid idiot is dead." His gear (skis, poles, helmet cam, phone) was scattered in the chute and I, as the last rider, had to pick it all up, so my own enjoyment was a little limited. God damn stupid idiot also then had the nerve to say: "I usually don't fall" but I just exploded in his face and gave him the biggest shellacking of his sorry life.

Frog Toss.

Anything else would be uncivilized.

Claim it son.

"unknown" is just laziness

I haven't skied it so I NEED you on this

heheh. great pics and story franz.

i believe they didnt give it a better name because they didnt feel like catching shit for taking the responsibility for naming a line when they were not the first to ski it. my friends and i will name a line just to clarify it amongst our crew though we arent really officially naming it. funny thing is that it somehow gets outside of our tribe's circle and soon becomes a common name though that wasnt the intention. butttttttt, put a name in a guidebook and its official. so i dont think calling it unknown was lazy but rather just plain humbleness. another example is hurchalla's tahoe guidebook. locals had been calling what he named babycham, closet chute, for years but now most everybody calls it babycham. locals had been calling what he named fallen angel and its neighbor, hidden chutes for years, yet now most everyone calls it fallen angel. the point of this ramble is that guidebook names stick so much thought and research need to be put in before giving something a name if it is not commonly known.

Oh for sure^^^^^

But at the same time, people just take this shit way too seriously when it's just a reference to an area where snow collects. The guidebook naming thing is spot on and Dan's a pretty humble guy who doesn't want to piss anyone off obviously. That's why GOOD names need to come from NOT guidebooks

And 'frog toss' has been cracking me up for a good 48 hours now. It's american™ in it's snubbishness. It's demeaning to failure. And I'm damn sick of running into people on the plateau since that friggin book came out talking about what "unknown chute" looks like. What's not to like?

I don't care if I ever ski it cuz solstice rocks and gets good spring morning sun but calling something unknown year after year is just wasting good opportunity. Somebody name that bitch. It's just a friggin strip of snow. And that's how mingori and nate got the names for 98% of their book anyway. People just started calling lines things. Might as well be funny, and franz owns the patent on funny in that line apparently

The first time I ever when to Dana I dropped Solstice with another guy and we both assumed we were dropping the "dana couloir" because it was so obviously the best line. It was rad and this was back when there was about 10% of the traffic as these days. We didn't give a shit we skied the wrong thing. We skied the best thing.
    In my personal twisted opinion I don't think anyone should get the right to name a patch of snow because they skied it first (unless of course they climbed it first). In rock climbing, the route essentially stays the same. Rock is pretty constant. You can't really do a first descent in snow because the very next day someone will be skiing the same patch on a different canvas with varying depths and quality. It just happens to be the same location. (of course ice climbs change too. But you CLIMB it) I give the most props to people who ski something in the best conditions and the best style. If you are lucky enough to get first tracks on an epic line in epic blower or corn AND ski it well then you can do some claiming. If you just go do shit in any 'ol conditions just because you have a hit list then you're doing it wrong imo......whatever. Just the way I look at skiing.

Man anyone can ride those lines in perfect pow, it takes some real skillz to ride them in shitty refrozen death cookies! Or not. Apparently that's my MO though.

Gimpy what are the local names for those other lines you mentioned? We'll start using those names, forget the guidebook names.

Hey, how about "Freedom Toss" for Unknown??

Love "Gutterball"!!

Hey, how about "Freedom Toss" for Unknown??
    I think that only works if a bald eagle, a 9mm, or 350 pounder sipping a big gulp falls down it.

Not saying none of that has ever happened.........just don't know

i agree w/ all that stuff. jus saying, naming something in a guidebook is more "official" then naming something on the webz. i think it'd be cool to give names to stuff here. then when you here it from a non-tgr webgeek it'll be a hoot.

and while a agree w/ most of what bg is sayin, and i am sure he will concur, sometimes you just don't know till you go. go w/ expectations of marginal snow and you will be treated to boot deep buff, go w/ expectations of boot deep fluff only to find.........not that. and yeah, when you live in an area you can usually suss out when to hit the raddest lines in the best of times. but when you just drove 3-8 hours to ski something and conditions are marginal, what you gonna do???? drive home???? fuck no, i am gonna hit that shit anyway.

i like frog toss. gonna start using that one.

AK/FK - looks like you guys had a very productive trip - nice!

So a general question - hypothetically if I was going on a 10 day Eastside climbing mission starting this up coming weekend with destinations such as Temple Crag, Lone Pine Peak, Charlotte Dome, Mt. Russell, Humphreys/Emerson and the Incredible Hulk, is there enough snow on the approaches to warrant skis, or will we be able to dirt walk alot of these? Most of these are pretty south of Mammoth, which I understand has way less snow down that way, but any specific details would be great. Similarly, up in Bridgeport, how is the walk into Little Slide?

I would love to not have to take skis if possible, but similarly don't want to slog in boots through wet snow the entire way.

Thanks in advance.