Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
    Rod, you might want to make that April if you're trying to ski.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GOPR0201.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	134735

I just heard vail bought mammoth. Can anyone confirm?

heading to mammoth on Wednesday around 2pm from north county San Diego coming home Sunday afternoon. Got room for gear in a lexus suv.

split gas costs and i can be flexible on the times.

PM or email.

2013 = AKBruin season of Coulie Classics!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

just heard hwy 120 from lee vining to tioga pass is plowed - can anyone confirm?
    wondering when the lower gate will open.

doing mammoth to tioga tour next week, was hoping to not have to walk down the whole way from the east entrance when we get there...

doood, there are numerous options besides walking /skiing down the rd. seriously

in fact, it will be the best skiing you do on your entire tour. maps are your friends.

Any updates on Eastside conditions? How is north facing snow holding? Looked at the ESAC, looks like the Wed/Thurs storm missed the Eastside - or maybe dropped an inch or so?

doood, there are numerous options besides walking /skiing down the rd. seriously

Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

...incoming transmission from Mars...

...photoid(n+1!)
    Mono Lake reflecting in 450nm wavelength
    Atmosphere stably stratified with time-varying gravity wave observations and rotor cumuli under sustained WNW flow.

Dana Plateau variable conditions
    Cocaine corn and wintry transitioning
    VBowl burnt
    Liberty choke doable but looking thin
    Magic Carpet requires cruxy downclimb to link
    No data on Third Pillar, Unknown, Powerhouse
    Solstice ready for road opening
    Ripper has exciting hard snow in upper and lower zones, the choke is wide and held the softest snow.

...photoid(edge testing)

/end transmission

...error...
    skateboarding method of 120 descent!

Mammoth Crest wasn't too bad this weekend.
    with jetlag

Thanks for the beta, ranchero. Way to get out there.

Was v bowl burnt in an "you could do left ramp with stupid pointless hop turns down the sliver" way, or a just flat out "burnt" way?

I guess that just about makes the earliest 120 opening I can remember.

Maybe this is the season I do that stupid skin over to Mammoth peak just for shitzengiggles.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

So . . . 120 is open to TPR????

If so, I'm thinking a Solstice/Dana --> Ellery/Powerhouse trip on Saturday/Sunday, although the forecast looks a little funky.

Road is not open (well, it wasn't on Sat when I checked and the caltrans website says it's closed). I think 213's skating pic is from sometime in the past (?).

Yeah I know it's not but it has been plowed for a while. I wonder if they would pop it for this weekend, which would still be a super early opening. Then again, I'm not up to date on re weather forecast.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Sorry for the confusion, the result of a day filled with strange clouds.
    120 is not open. That shot is from 2009 (JimW driving behind me haha) When it does open, Dana looks prime and the Plateau call will probably be do a run, boot back up it, and take an Ellery exit. If you are amped to road bike ride, now is a great time as the Blue Slides are dry and the road is clear at least to the gate. Some folks were up there yesterday pedaling.

VBowl is doable if you don't mind walking up/down a good 30 minutes and dealing with many many many landmines amid punchy snow. Either way, without significant snow at 7k, it will be 100% dun dilly in a matter of days.

AK - is that the Hulk? Awesome work.

spent the weekend at the mountain. Got my first taste of some great Mammoth windbuff. As advertised.

If anyone of you saw the person hop the rock in the middle of Hangman's before blowing out and sliding down the whole apron that was me. Other highlights of the weekend included the 2 other runs in Hangman's without incident, as well as super G turns down skier's left of Dave's..super smooth over there.

Fun weekend with the lower elevations corning up.

Quote Originally Posted by Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer View Post
    AK - is that the Hulk? Awesome work.
    Yup - that was the Hulk.

Anyone have beta on Shasta conditions/snowpack? Is there a Shasta-specific thread? (yes, i looked...)

There isn't a 2013 Shasta thread yet ... you should start a CA/OR Volcano Skiing thread!

I don't have Shasta beta, but I was at Lassen 2 weeks ago and that's all in pretty good shape. I left my long lens at home so my photos of Shasta don't show much detail, and you can't really see HW or West Face very well from Lassen anyways. Snow at Lassen was down to about 6000 on all aspects that I could see, before it turned into a shrubfest. 4K continuous feet of windpacked turns on the west face, while everyone was crossing tracks in Tahoe that weekend, was pretty good! (the 5 mile flat ski back to the car was not that good!)

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Tioga Pass today: http://imgur.com/a/vxtpK

Anybody know what happens if you get caught riding a scooter passed a closed gate on 120?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	58285_10200441878436453_1915942252_n.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	135383

Meter-Man and Schralph, see emails.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.