Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Pack for Ski Mountaineering

I've searched and read some past threads, but none seem to fit the bill.

My requirments:
    -35 to 40L
    -dedicated avy tool pocket (for shovel, probe and occasionally wet skins
    -side compression straps (both upper and lower, don't want fixed straps)
    -TWO ice axe holders, preferby modern design - not the loop
    -CLEAN design, don't need an excess of straps and bullshit on the outside
    -will compress well when not filled
    -top loading, but has pocket that can be accessed while carrying skis

I have been using a Deuter Freeride 26 but its just too small for long days and an occasional light over night

Some packs that look interesting but can't find any firsthand info about:
    http://www.bentgate.com/vaude-sentinel-30-8-pack.html

http://www.backcountry.com/millet-co...pack-2135cu-in

So tell me what you guys are using that fit those requirements.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ASP.jpg 
Views:	395 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	124107  

Check Mammut Guide 35 or 45. I have a 40 from last year that they have replaced with the two other sizes. Nice reasonably light floating lid packs with shovel pocket.

Life is not lift served.

I haven't really seen a top load that compresses well when empty or near empty. I've got a bigger top load REI pack (~45ish) that sees longer/overnight duty and a Deuter freeride pro 30 that sees short day duty.

I use a black diamond revelation pack from a few years ago and it works very well. Meets all requirements except for having top straps that compress. I like the look of that Vaude sentinel...

Hohes, how have you liked it? I was actually playing around with it at a local shop, just seemed really cluttered with all the extra straps, multiple side zippers etc.

Doing a little more research I found what looks like a winner, but its a little more than I was hoping to spend and its in canada, so I'm not sure what shipping entails:
    http://www.alpinethreadworks.com/products/selkirk.html

sneaky steve,

you talking about this one?

might look at cilogear with an attached shovel pocket.

this seems to hit all your points: MHW via rapida 35
    http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Via-...efault,pd.html

it's on altrec now for $168

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kevino View Post
    sneaky steve,

that's the revelation alright. It's not as flexible as the floating or semi-floating top lids and filling the avy tool pocket impinges on the interior of the pocket or vice versa which makes the pocket imo less useful than it could be

Re: cilogear, love their packs for climbing, not for skiing

MHW via rapida: looks pretty good, except it sounds like the shovel pocket is inside the main pack? hard to tell from the description

Hugh: that a good point. i have that problem with my dueter currently and it sure can be annoying.

What kind of pack do you use Hugh?

Hohes, how have you liked it? I was actually playing around with it at a local shop, just seemed really cluttered with all the extra straps, multiple side zippers etc. [/IMG]
    I had last years 40L model, with less straps than the newer 35/34 models. No "snowboard" straps (I had to rig them for carrying camp gear). No side pockets. Just a relatively simple pack. I managed to cut a slice into the lid fabric though.

That BD Revelation scares me with too many zips and not enough strap backups.
    Life is not lift served.

This caught my interest:

http://www.gregorypacks.com/products...3/alpinisto-35

Especially like the 4 torso length fittings, and the crampon pouch / dual axe carry system looks sweet.

sneaky steve,

That's essentially the same one. Mine is red and from a year or two earlier. I don't think they changed the design much.

There really are only two external zippers on the pack. The top loading compartment and the avy pouch. I like the avy pouch design because a shovel and probe slide in nicely even when the pack is full, but when not used the pocket doesn't sag or be noticed as dead space.
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    that's the revelation alright. It's not as flexible as the floating or semi-floating top lids and filling the avy tool pocket impinges on the interior of the pocket or vice versa which makes the pocket imo less useful than it could be
    I should also mention the internal, removable frame is light, strong and helps the pack carry and ski well. I've never removed it because I think it's a good design and it fits my back really well.

I've managed to squeeze a small harness and a glacier kit into the avy pocket for quick access (along with shovel and probe). The pocket is pretty specific for avy gear by design and I like that. Helps me keep other stuff out of there and in the main pack.
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

I have the millet and I'm not crazy about it. It's all right, but not exceptional. I'd probably go with an experienced pack-specific company like gregory. Seems to me usually the actual "structure" and hip belt are better. I doubt you'll find two ice axe hangers unless it's an ice climbing specific pack, but if there's a good cobbler or seamstress nearby you could have it added. A smaller manufacturer might even do a little custom job for you.

My McHale LBP works fantastic for ski mountaineering. But sometimes I'd like to have a smaller pack on some day trips so I might have Dan something like this, although likely w/o buckles on the compressions straps:

McHale would triple his profits if he had his website re-designed. Great packs but getting the correct information from that website is impossible.

^^^ second....,to below, maybe not but it would sure make it a lot easier to do research, alot of times in general if presentation is terrible it makes it harder to make a decision. Now I know he has a great product no doubt there just harder to figure it out and what you want.
    Last edited by hellojello74; 10-29-2012 at 03:13 PM.

Triple his profits? ha ha ha ha. You two don't know shit about Dan's biz model

MHW via rapida: looks pretty good, except it sounds like the shovel pocket is inside the main pack? hard to tell from the description.
    yeah, they don't seem to show any interior shots, but i know that their winter packs do have an interior separated shovel/skin area. It's right behind the white dyneema panel.

I have the wayback 30, and it has sufficient space to put my voile telepro shovel (not the most compact), probe & skins (1pr, no more). maybe you can find it in a store to test out?

Deuter Rise 32+

Hit's everything on your list.

I just got a Deuter that's quite a bit bigger than what you are looking for but if the smaller packs are anywhere near my experience with the big one, it would be tough to overlook those guys.

Going to withdraw my suggestion of the Mammut Spindrift Guide pack. I spoke too fast after a summer of not handling it and forgot the reality.

Had it in use for a day again and it has flaws. Poor compression, especially with the velcro straps at the bottom of the pack side wall. There are good for A-frame carry, but offer zero compression.

Also when you flip the lid closed the material hooks on the traps/shoulder strap tightening buckles and they undo, every time. I have to wrap the buckles in tape to stop it happening, which means I can't use the buckles. Other design flaws exits.

If anyone cares.
    Last edited by neck beard; 10-30-2012 at 08:19 PM.
    Life is not lift served.

I care.

Thanks for the input. Real tempted to try out that Vaude pack. Or sell some gear and get the handmade one from canada.