Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    What don't you like about the Alpine Threadworks one the OP bought?
    Honestly, I glossed over it since the picture links were broken. JONG move! Sounds like good product (wish I could see the pics!). The Purcell doesn't look very sexy on the product page - looks much better in the photo gallery though. I'd want to add some compression straps and possibly move the ski carry top loop, but it sounds like that sort of thing is right in Neil's wheelhouse. I'll definitely be contacting AT.

As for the off-the-shelf options, the redesigned BD covert caught my eye. I reeealllly like the ski carry system on my Blackjack, and the BD is the only pack I've seen that uses a similar design. Gonna have to take a look at one in-store.

Also, I found out that Mystery Ranch is re-doing their entire adventure series of packs, so no options there until next season.

I have one of the original BD Outlaw packs and love it except for the fact that it's terrible at carrying any type of significant loads. Are their newer packs any better at carrying? There aren't nearly enough packs with back-panel access, particularly the bottom-up opening like on the Outlaw.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    I have one of the original BD Outlaw packs and love it except for the fact that it's terrible at carrying any type of significant loads. Are their newer packs any better at carrying? There aren't nearly enough packs with back-panel access, particularly the bottom-up opening like on the Outlaw.
    So what you're saying is they access is good but other than that, the pack can't carry anything? Doesn't sound like a great pack to me.

From the Alpine Threadworks website, sounds like you could have them incorporate a back-panel access into any of their packs (kevino might be able to chime in more re: that).
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    I have one of the original BD Outlaw packs and love it except for the fact that it's terrible at carrying any type of significant loads. Are their newer packs any better at carrying?
    No idea on real-world functionality, but they appear more streamlined/refined than the bookbag-y originals and also have a new suspension system. Probably worth checking out.

BD suspension is pretty good these days, at least in the larger packs.

Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
    So what you're saying is they access is good but other than that, the pack can't carry anything? Doesn't sound like a great pack to me.
    No, that's not what I'm saying. Access is good, ski carry options are good, the strap and pocket configurations are good, just the suspension sucks. If it carried well I would love it forever.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

I just picked up a Osprey Kode 42. Worth taking a look at. Lots of pockets and ways
    to access contents (back panel). Plus on sale for $110 at prolitegear.com

Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post

From the Alpine Threadworks website, sounds like you could have them incorporate a back-panel access into any of their packs (kevino might be able to chime in more re: that).
    I've got an Alpine Threadworks and the beauty of it is that Neil will customize. Shar got the standard Selkirk. I got the Selkirk and lopped a whole bunch of stuff off it.

Liked the concept of getting exactly what I wanted so much I had no hesitation paying full pop

This was for a bike article but here's the pack carrying capacity for the smaller 37l size (3 nights - 4 day bike pack)

Here was the article fwiw http://www.pinkbike.com/u/leelau/blo...king-list.html

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    It looks like you can buy replacemnt belts but I don't know if you could put them on the Kham ...maybe call arcterxy & ask??
    the khamskis do not have removable hip-belts, so you can not change them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dane1 View Post
    Bought it for the lwt hip belt and the diagonal ski carry. All tough and good enough for my multiday uses. Cutting off the dbl buckle system and a few other things dropped the weight to 2# 4oz. It comes in sizes...which actually fit me in a long. Sorta a over size/heavier pack along the Dynafit and Camp line.
    yeah, the diagonal carrying system looks actually quite durable, im never using it though. and i figured that there would be people who actually like the hip-belt, but how that can be possible is beyond me

freak~[&]

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    I've got an Alpine Threadworks and the beauty of it is that Neil will customize. Shar got the standard Selkirk. I got the Selkirk and lopped a whole bunch of stuff off it.

Liked the concept of getting exactly what I wanted so much I had no hesitation paying full pop

This was for a bike article but here's the pack carrying capacity for the smaller 37l size (3 nights - 4 day bike pack)

Here was the article fwiw http://www.pinkbike.com/u/leelau/blo...king-list.html
    Are those straps across the front of the pack an addition or come standard? (Looks different than the pics online). If they are additions, or if you know off hand, how much do those sort of additions cost? I'm wondering about incorporating back panel access and straps similar to those on your pack to allow diagonal carry, etc.

Does anyone have information/comments regarding the construction of the back panel (Is the back panel just the two lengths of bivi foam? Does it provide adequate stiffness/support?) and/or suspension system?
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Straps across front are standard. No idea re back panel. I can ask or you can email Neil.

Just email Neil.

I think the 3x/side compression straps added to the Selkirk Light were $15.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

yeah, the diagonal carrying system looks actually quite durable, im never using it though. and i figured that there would be people who actually like the hip-belt, but how that can be possible is beyond me
    Understood. And I never use an a frame carry now once I experienced the skimo race packs.

I have found packs do well with a smaller hip belt for me up to a certain amount of weight.....if the pack actually fits my back correctly. I own a half dozen custom packs from CCW. But Randy refused to make a ski specific pack. The long size Arcteryx fits me well in that 35l size range. None of them have anything more than a foam back panel and I pull the aluminum stays from the Arcteryx.

I am using the khamskis for the typical week long hut tours this season. So not a lot of weight, well under 20kg. But I like that it was easy enough to strip down to something more useful for me and still carry the typical amount of touring chit. Ski packs are just climbing packs for me that I can easily rig my skis on quickly and securely.

More here on my thoughts on pack fit. 4 or 5 parts iirc.

http://coldthistle.blogspot.com/2012...ing-packs.html

http://coldthistle.blogspot.com/search?q=my+pack

Gregory Alpinisto

Finally got around to writing up the Khamski.

http://coldthistle.blogspot.com/2014...-arcteryx.html

I don't know why there has been such a lack of Cilogear on this thread. Maybe it's because "they're for climbing" but they're so damn versatile, light, and compressable that their new ski line deserves at least a look.

http://www.cilogear.com/skiclcl.html

My cilo gear (guide 30:30) pack is amazing for carrying loads especially a 2-3 day trip load with the avy gear pocket attachment used as excess space to get you there.

I still don't love the way the pack carries skis. It can be done but requires a really good HDPE / equivalent back pad and aluminum stay - something better than the bivy pad. Even then the pack swings around too much with skis on. Not as much an issue with a light dynafit rig but really sucks with big skis and heavy bindings. It just isn't a ski carry pack at the end of the day for my liking.

Yeah, a lot of packs have shit for ski carry comfort. A frame is generally easy to get right, but you really have to get the skis attached close to the frame in some way for diagonal to feel right. This is really hard for larger packs. Thin and tall is the best option, but its still really hard to get right. Osprey is one of the better ones that I've tried.

As a follow up...I'm in the midst of my second season using alpine threadworks selkirk backpack. I have been very happy with it, both in terms of durability and functionality. For those asking about carrying. Its no better or worse than other other frameless pack other than that the length is spec'd to your back size when you order it. Neil is easy to work with and responds quickly to emails.

This was from last spring showing the A carry:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050224.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	153106

Glad to hear more positive feedback about Neil's work. I am in the process of ordering a Selkirk from him now and he has been a pleasure to deal with so far. Looking forward to getting out on the hill with it when it's finished!

I like my BCA Alp 40

Quote Originally Posted by kevino View Post
    I've searched and read some past threads, but none seem to fit the bill.

My requirments:
    -35 to 40L
    -dedicated avy tool pocket (for shovel, probe and occasionally wet skins
    -side compression straps (both upper and lower, don't want fixed straps)
    -TWO ice axe holders, preferby modern design - not the loop
    -CLEAN design, don't need an excess of straps and bullshit on the outside
    -will compress well when not filled
    -top loading, but has pocket that can be accessed while carrying skis

I have been using a Deuter Freeride 26 but its just too small for long days and an occasional light over night

Some packs that look interesting but can't find any firsthand info about:
    http://www.bentgate.com/vaude-sentinel-30-8-pack.html

http://www.backcountry.com/millet-co...pack-2135cu-in

So tell me what you guys are using that fit those requirements.
    My BCA Alp 40 pretty much has your exact list. I picked one up at their tent sale for cheap and really love it. Very durable yet lightweight. I can compress it down like a 26L for those days or it will load up to 40L +. They make great stuff IMO. Soory no pic today.

The new Dynafit Speed Expedition 35 backpack looks to be an interesting ski mountaineering day pack. 35lt, with side zip access, and a fully featured hip belt for 740grams. Couldn't find any details on features.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    . . . you really have to get the skis attached close to the frame in some way for diagonal to feel right. This is really hard for larger packs. Thin and tall is the best option, but its still really hard to get right.
    By "thin" you mean less depth, right? I'd use the word "flat" to describe that.

I recently had Dan McHale make me a tall flat 1 - 1-1/2 day pack, primarily for skiing but will also get use on climbs, scrambles and overnights. Best diagonal carry I've never used, just deep enough to carry my widest touring skis via A- or H-frame within the side compression straps. H-frame is way better for fully loaded packs IME. Like all McHales, my new pack custom is made to fit me and only me, fits perfectly, like my other two McHale packs. I cannot imagine ever going back to mass-produced packs.
    Last edited by Big Steve; 01-25-2015 at 08:45 PM.

+1 on mchale.

Plus I like to have a good suspension when I carry skis on my back, not to mention ski boots as well on a long approach in hiking shoes.

There is a lot more to a pack than just weight. I had a light pack a few years ago, and every time I carried skis on, my shoulders hurt for a day.

HMG Ice Pack or Porter should do it for you...