Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    So to follow up...after looking around I couldn't find what I wanted commercially, so I contaced Neil at alpinethreadworks and am going to try out his handmade packs.

fyi, cilogear just posted brand new ski packs on their website&facebook yesterday, but information is kind of scarce about some of the details.

Gregory Z55.

Bigger than you stated, but shrinks down incredibly well. The big pouch/pocket on the outside is great for shovel, probe, skins, etc. I use this as both my multi-day backpack in the summer and on winter ski trips.

Edit: Doh! Didn't see the above reply before I posted. Still, the Z55 is a good pack for this if anyone else is looking.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

I LOVE my new Deuter.
    Perfect size, perfect fit, great support, and lots of adjustments to size correctly. Just got a Freerider 30, can't wait to try it out!

I think cilo has a way to go to catch up on ski packs.

Mr. Chainsaw Willie, I'll be back on the westside mid-december, it'd be great to get out for another tour, hopefully a little more stable this time.

-kevino

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw_Willie View Post
    Gregory Z55.

Bigger than you stated, but shrinks down incredibly well. The big pouch/pocket on the outside is great for shovel, probe, skins, etc. I use this as both my multi-day backpack in the summer and on winter ski trips.

Edit: Doh! Didn't see the above reply before I posted. Still, the Z55 is a good pack for this if anyone else is looking.
    Not a big fan of outside pocket for avi gear or skins for that matter. Never had any trouble but I would hate to lose my stuff in a bad fall or avy, not to mention absentmindedness
    Education must be the answer, we've tried ignorance and it doesn't work!

Got my pack from Alpine Threadwords...wow its nice. Fits great of course, since its sized to me. The material is perfect, think arcteryx like waterproofness. Very well laid out, tool pockets are sweet, with plenty of room for skins. Interior is nice and "illuminated" since its lined with yellow fabric. Comes with three straps per side so it compresses down really well, hugs your back. Will be taking it out tomorrow for its first use. Will report back after several tours.

Just googled.

That 37L is pretty light for the durability that it apparently has. Also a nice simple pack that seems to feature just about all of the basic things a functional mountain pack should feature. I'd gladly use it for work and play. Pity the 37 only has two compression straps. I'd probably like a paddier waist belt as well for a bit more weight. The home made product video rocks as well. Big brands should take note. Good on dude.
    Life is not lift served.

Kevino, pics?

Hohes, my 37L has three straps. Its a one man operation, and he says he takes requests/will do some custom stuff.

Abraham, since my tour today fell through I'll get some pictures up shortly.

Sounds like you found what you're looking for but figured I'd add this one to the list.

Mammut Trion Light 28

"Ultra-lightweight, waterproof mountaineering backpack: fully equipped it weighs just 1,100 grams, and slimmed down only 620 grams. Despite this, it still boasts all the features that mountaineers need and offers optimum freedom of movement during climbing thanks to its sophisticated weight distribution."

If you can't fit everything you need in this pack, you're carrying too much stuff.

Appreciate the suggestion, but one of my requirements is a dedicated pocket for avy tools and can also put my wet skins in. (Yeah I'm different, and picky).

Other notes: my nomics work great with his system, but thats probably due to me have hammers on my tool heads

Pictures of the pack, loaded up with shovel and probe and jackets, gloves, food, water, etc

Notice the three compression straps Hohes

Lid is removable and has two pockets, top and bottom; thats a POC receptor helmet for size reference

Fabric detail: left side is the main body (you get to choose the color, two different shades of red or blue), right side is the base

More fabric detail: left side is mini sprindrift collar; blue is main body fabric and of course the waterproof zippers for the avy tool pockets

^^Looks awesome, Kevin!

Might have to pick one of them up for spring touring. Have and love the MR Blackjack, but it's a little heavy for those long spring days.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Kevino - was just going off a website photo I saw of the 37 with 2 straps. Cool he does customs. Thanks for the pics.

Pack has everything I like, excepts perhaps a stiffer backboard? But all the features boxes are ticked. I also really like the large lid pocket.
    Life is not lift served.

That looks like a really nice pack. Very similar to my Norrona Falketind 45, minus dedicated avi-dep.

Do they have a RAS compatible version in the works?

http://www.rei.com/product/830559/mi...ale-45-10-pack

35 liter Millet pack that looks a lot better shaped for skiing than the Millet you were looking at, at an excellent price. I haven't used the pack--but the guide I skied with in Chamonix had a very similar Millet and it looked like it handled very well. Funny thing was--he had done the Peuterey Integrale--actually he and 2 partners set the winter ascent speed record for the Super Integrale--6 days. The only thing I can't tell is whether the front pocket is big enough for a shovel. But it looks very clean as far as straps and the like.

Bumping this one up for updated info.

Spring is springing here in CO and I've got day tours on the brain. I own an MR Blackjack which would suffice for longer, true ski mountaineering-type events. What I'm interested in is a lighter day pack for shorter routes that require less gear (routes where you'd bring crampons and a whippet, but not a rope or rack). 20-25L should suffice. This will not be a 'skimo' pack per se, but could be used for some 'skimo lite' endeavors.

Priorities:
    1. Better than average ski carry system
    2. No ABS system (or one that is removable)
    3. Decent hip/shoulder strap support (should be better than a Jansport, doesn't need to be as solid or complicated as the BlackJack)
    4. No hydration system

Weight is not a primary concern, but clean designs are preferred over extraneous pockets, straps, etc. Anything that would allow pile-it-on packing ala Jed Clampett will get the knife! I started my search with MR, but they've got nothing but the BlackJack on their website now.

If anybody's got a spring touring pack they're stoked on, post up!

New Patagucci packs look intriguing, but no experience. My PG Gritty Pack from a few years back was less-than-stellar in the fit department, but I suspect these are better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Kodes are great, but they are a bit overdone on the straps and gadgets.

Osprey Variants are excellent if you like top loaders, and don't like lots of separate pockets and stupid "features."

What don't you like about the Alpine Threadworks one the OP bought?

Based on kevino's recommendation, I also bought a pack from Alpine Threadworks, and Neil is a great guy to deal with. Since I have the MR Blackjack for use with avy gear, I went with a 45L Selkirk Light with 3 compressions straps added. While the 35L would be better for day trips, I wanted something a little more versatile for all-season use. The 45L compresses pretty well for day trips, but ideally I would have a 30L and a 45L. If you want something really light for day trips, maybe check out their Purcell Pack? (And my packing skills are nowhere near kevino's.) Even with full dyneema, the price was sub-$300. I think the price for the regular fabrics makes it totally worth it.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Kevin...take a look at the Arc'teryx Khamski 38. REI has them on sale for 200 and change right now. Best thing I have seen and I've been looking hard recently. A little work and a good eye will drop 14oz off the starting weight. I got my large down to 2# 4oz.

It is the chit. I'd be surprised if you didn't actually buy one after a closer look.

i have the khamski 38 as well, and while i think it is great in size, compartements, compressability and flexibility (also has nice ice-axe holders), it would be quite easy to improve.
    the ski-attachment straps are not re-inforced, which will probably not matter if you only carry your skis while climbing a couloir/ridge or so, but they will not survive long if you use them for long approaches involving shrubbery etc. i also do not like that they use 4 kinds of different buckles (2 would easily do), makes it hard to replace an important broken one in the field with a less important one. and they will break at some point, since they are tiny (hard to use with mitts as well).
    i also do not get why they used the waterproof ac² material on the back of the pack instead of at the top&bottom, where it would have actually had a purpose. at the moment it prevents my shovel from getting wet, which of course does no harm but is kinda useless.
    the only real problem is the hip-belt though. it s way too minimalistic in my opinion for a pack with that size. doesnt matter if it is very light, but makes it basically impossible for me to use the full potential of the pack. If it is full and relatively heavy, i have to pull the hip-belt super tight and because of the super slim and small flaps it is chafing quite a lot at my hips, especially if i am wearing just a baselayer while climbing. this is actually really bad and i am kinda used to carry heavy packs and never had problems with that.
    it is a shame that they did not put the flaps of the khamski 48 at the 38 too, they are bigger and at least a bit padded, i guess they might just be perfect.
    i am in the process of trying to ghetto-fix some proper padding to the hip-belt, because i really like the pack otherwise. i wont use it for any kind of activity which involves carrying more than safety-equipment, lunch, skins, extra layer, dslr and some smaller stuff like it is now.

freak~[&]

http://www.arcteryx.com/ProductFind....category=Packs

It looks like you can buy replacemnt belts but I don't know if you could put them on the Kham ...maybe call arcterxy & ask??

Back in the day 12yrs ago (they don't make bora anymore) I compared the Kham 38 to the Bora 40, back then I thot the Kham was nicely done but not enough hip belt while the Bora was heavyier with less bells and whistles BUT it used the same hip belt as all the bora packs which I could change to the smallest size cuz i am a skinny fucker ...got the bora
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by freak View Post
    i have the khamski 38 as well, and while i think it is great in size, compartements, compressability and flexibility (also has nice ice-axe holders), it would be quite easy to improve.
    Bought it for the lwt hip belt and the diagonal ski carry. All tough and good enough for my multiday uses. Cutting off the dbl buckle system and a few other things dropped the weight to 2# 4oz. It comes in sizes...which actually fit me in a long. Sorta a over size/heavier pack along the Dynafit and Camp line.