Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by georgio View Post
    Which one of you idiots put down the tracks on North Chute?!?!?!

Hard to see in the shitty cell phone pic, but come on! Are you fucking kidding me?

Attachment 126179
    Looks fucking epic! I bet the rocks were at least boot top or deeper.
    I've got more suits than Liberace, but less than Eastvailhucker.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingne...-berthoud-pass

CDOT considers automated avalanche control for Berthoud Pass
    By Jason Blevins, The Denver Post
    Posted: DenverPost.com

The Colorado Department of Transportation every winter lobs 50-year-old munitions into snowy basins to trigger manageable avalanches before they threaten travelers.

On Berthoud Pass, the department is considering a step into the modern era with an automated, fixed avalanche-control system that would reduce the need for helicopters dropping explosives or World War II howitzers launching slide-triggering missiles.

Using an automated system — much like the Gazex propane-gas sonic-explosion system used in three Western states and Europe — would enable CDOT to trigger more frequent, lower-intensity slides that ideally would reduce road closures on the vital U.S. 40 stretch over Berthoud Pass.

"We may be in a situation where we never have an avalanche reach the road," said Peter Kozinski, CDOT's project engineer shepherding a potential pilot program that would test a fixed avalanche-control system in the massive Stanley slide path on the eastern side of Berthoud Pass. "We've been using the same technology for 70 years. This pilot program is about understanding the new technology."

The proposed program calls for five automated, fixed devices in Stanley, the largest slide path hanging over U.S. 40 on Berthoud Pass.

Avalanches on Stanley have closed U.S. 40 several times, including for more than two days in January 2011.

The project-approval process — unveiled Saturday at a Winter Park open house that drew a couple dozen people — is just beginning, with CDOT gathering public input before sculpting a proposal for the Forest Service, which would conduct an environmental review of the plan. Ideally, the system could be in place by the winter of 2014-15.

"First and foremost, we care about public safety, and we certainly care about CDOT's easement on the highway," said Deanna Bartlett of the Arapaho-Roosevelt National Forest. "We are open to looking at different ways to do things."

A decade ago, CDOT studied the construction of a snow shed and snow fences lining ridges flanking the Stanley Slide. Today, it's analyzing remotely triggered devices to regularly blast the alpine bowl and trigger more frequent, smaller slides that would hopefully reduce the potential of large avalanches that require lengthy road closures.

A major concern for CDOT is protecting not just drivers but backcountry skiers who frequent Berthoud Pass.

Today the department has a comprehensive protocol to make sure no one is near avalanche-starting zones that they are targeting with explosives.

Kozinski said the department will not alter its safety process with the pilot program, including being able to visually inspect the targeted area before triggering any explosions.

Utah's highway department recently installed its second round of Gazex devices in Little Cottonwood Canyon, home of the Alta and Snowbird ski areas. Similar systems are common in remote passes in California and Wyoming, as well as across Europe. Wolf Creek ski area owner Davey Pitcher has developed a Gazex system for avalanche control in his remote alpine bowls.

In all areas, Gazex is one of many tools in the arsenal to control avalanches.

"I think we have a lot of experience from other places around the world and here in the West to help us develop these new strategies," said Ethan Greene, executive director of the Colorado Avalanche Information Center.

Jack Van Horn's Home James vans shuttle more than 4,000 people a year over Berthoud Pass. Road closures cost him money.

"I am so psyched to see CDOT taking a proactive approach," he said.

Jason Blevins: 3*3-954-1374, jblevins@denverpost.com or twitter.com/jasontblevins

^^^^^ I like.... can't think of downside other than cost

Mukker4life and I were at the open house in WP. Sounds like a great idea and sounds like there is a lot of community support. The only woman who was against it was worried that people might be skiing Stanley's at night. We said anyone who was skiing Stanley's at night during high avy danger had bigger things to worry about.

Until we get more snow I'm going to skip the shit out of these meadows.

That is definitely one of the better early season spots. Surprised there is that much snow back there already. Nice work.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkgt View Post
    ^^^^^ I like.... can't think of downside other than cost
    I will miss seeing them pony the Howitzer up and letting a few go. I'll happily suck some fumes for a few at the bottom while they give Stanley a spanking.

So, what are we working with out there? Anyone get out there today?

^^what he said...

also curious as to conditions. really considering getting out early tomorrow

Got out yesterday, sorry for the shitty cell phone pics, but I was preoccupied with skiing not photography.

Took laps on Mainline, Shop Chutes, Hells Half Acre, The Meadows, and Flume. The dilemma right now is the fact that anything remotely south facing was bare ground 72 hours ago and anything remotely north facing is now 8-20 inches of new snow on top of a facety death layer. Meaning anything that is safe is too deep to be much fun, and anything steep enough to be much fun is really instable. There are exceptions, and as this snow settles a little bit it should actually ski better than yesterday.

Mainline was a blast in the AM, and one of the main exceptions to the rocks vs. facets issue. With only a few people out there Mainline had good snow until noon. This was around 10:30.

After that we headed up to the Meadows/Flume. The meadows was a knee deep slog until we got below treeline and things start to get steeper. We skied upper flume (above the aquaduct) very carefully, it probably could slide, but we had skied that area bunch over the last few weeks so the upper part isn't as instable as the lower part (which I don't think anyone has been on this year). This was the money run for the day for us. Here's the ladyfriend thigh deep.

We contemplated lower flume which looked mighty delightful.

So I tried a little ski cut at the very top... And away it went...

Relatively harmless slow motion slide. Slid maybe 20-30 feet but enough for us to call it on anything over about 20 degrees. Skinned back out the aquaduct to the parking lot and took a dozen car laps on Hells Half Acre and Shop Chutes for the rest of the day. Which strangely enough had only seen a single set of tracks each before about 1 PM. Those runs skied better after we had laid down a few tracks because it made it easier to carry speed through the flatter spots.

If we do get the 5-10 more inches that we're supposed to over the next 24 hours some of the other more southerly facing aspects should start to be reasonably enough filled in to be fun. Be safe, it's weird out there.
    Last edited by georgio; 12-11-2012 at 04:37 PM.

^^^ Thanks for the info. To be expected, mostly, but still good to hear it from one who's been up.

Keep it safe dudes. All things will come. Please report that to CAIC.

https://avalanche.state.co.us/obs/ob...hp?obsfm=field

Went for a couple laps this morning. Bad visibility kept us close the car. Still need A LOT of snow to make things good up there, but it was fun to screw around I guess.

I was up as well in the AM for a few runs. 1st tracks down Mainline was probably the highlight of the day. Rocks were tagged. I stayed to the E/SE stuff as anywhere that I probed into places where there old snow as well as the 14" or so of new snow I would get immediate collapsing/cracking.

I think that any steep slope with new snow over the old snow/facets has a high likelihood of sliding. As well anywhere that I hit old snow underneath while skiing down I'd decelerate and sink almost immediately to the ground - not easy to keep momentum.

I found skiing the south powder only to be ok if you weren't hitting rocks and think south faces have some potential for safer skiing if a skiable pack develops where there's no basal facets

Watched from the parking lot people ski Meadows to Sunbowl to traverse underneath Nitro et al. Didn't look that great as they were bogging down not to mention being underneath the cliff lines and all that potential.

Overall fun to get out, but thin and dangerous to be on steeper terrain.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	479755_10200107836728473_348792354_n.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	127624
    Last edited by smitchell333; 12-10-2012 at 02:38 PM.

fuck me with all these trail map names

sunbowl, meadows, great divide?

Thanks. All reports are of poor stability. Make good decisions.

https://avalanche.state.co.us/obs/ob...65&view=public

Looks like my form at CAIC didn't submit all the way. Just got an email from them asking for more info which I sent on to them so that submission should be a lot more detailed once they update it.

North facing terrain near treeline is pretty touchy right now. Friends of mine watched two naturals run on loaded N-facing terrain on Jones. The small north facing bowl just above treeline at Butler (just west of and below the saddle between Butler and Woods Creek) also slid. Appeared to either be natural (IMO, more likely) or remotely triggered from below by folks traversing across the bench.

Be safe out there.

Quote Originally Posted by georgio View Post
    Looks like my form at CAIC didn't submit all the way. Just got an email from them asking for more info which I sent on to them so that submission should be a lot more detailed once they update it.
    My buddy remotely triggered it from the bench I was in the trees waiting and all I heard was, "Holy Shit" We did get some womphing on the approach and decided to stay in the lower angle gullies. It was good to get out and felt like winter but the hoars are deep so stay light Here is a quick right up....

http://www.powderbuzz.com/forums/vie...hp?p=7786#7786

might have seen this, posted on Friends of BP's facebook page

Berthoud from 16,200ft, circa 1932

^^^ Freaking awesome! She ain't the prettiest on the block, but we love her just the same.

Makes many of the steep lines seem insignificant compared to the scale of the entire area. Fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by SILENCER View Post
    ^^^ Freaking awesome! She ain't the prettiest on the block, but we love her just the same.

Makes many of the steep lines seem insignificant compared to the scale of the entire area. Fascinating.
    There's a lot of good shit out there that almost no one ever gets after because it's an extra few hours of approach...

It's cool to see the east side before any cutting was done for the ski area too.

^^^ Not hating on the awesome work done, but we'll be seeing a lot more traffic west of Current with the new hut and all.

Yeah November was abysmal. But we've been in a beautiful weather pattern for the last week plus, we've picked up 2+ feet of snow at the pass in the last 10 days, and the forecast for the next week is just as good ...

So why is everyone all pissed off?

We were touring around current creek headed to moonlight bowl on Sunday and passed a few other groups. Without fail they were grumpy and bitching about how there was no good coverage anywhere. Turns out they had all been trying to ski south facing terrain that was bare ground 10 days ago ... and they were bitching about how boney it was.

So, if you guys are reading this, sorry to hear you didn't have a good time. We tried to suffer as much as it appeared you were but we just didn't have it in us. And despite our best efforts we just couldn't not ski powder.