Dynafit Radical 130 Brake Removal

I'm trying to remove the brakes from some Dynafit radical ft12s; however, the large screw that releases the mechanism so the brakes can be removed does not want to separate from the black plastic housing. I need to get the brakes off because I’m mounting the heal pieces across the 128 ski waist. How can I get the screw out? There is a nut on the reverse side that cannot be gripped by any wrench or needle nose pliers.

How can I get the screw to back out of the black plastic housing? Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by djpowers View Post

How can I get the screw to back out of the black plastic housing? Any suggestions?
    Don't - 1234
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

You've got the new brake design, it's not going to come off willingly. Definitely don't try and get the worm screw out of the baseplate, it's not designed to come out.

I'm not sure why you're taking 130mm brakes off for a ski that's 128mm but if that's what you want, you'll probably need to snip the back "bridge" off the brake prongs. Once you do that, you may not be able to remount the brakes, and you'll definitely lose the anti-rotation lock that's mounted on the brake so you may run in to auto-rotation issues as long as they're off. Why are you taking the brakes off again?

Huh. Interesting. Having years of experience futzing with Dynafits, this brake design is a new one (to me). There is LIKELY an easy way, but I'm going to need to futz personally to figure it out.

It appears that you will want to remove the anti-rotation shenanigans first...

Or lemme call the peeps at Salewa NA. Or you can do the same. We'll figure this out.

Anti rotation has nothing to do with it

I was planning on just not using brakes for my wider skis as I have the 110mm brakes. Would be a bummer if I can't do that. I really don't want to have to buy a whole new brake setup.

As Prodigy says, don't try to remove the worm screw, but you don't need to remove the anti-rotation piece. You remove the brake assembly using snap-ring pliers to release the brake base plate and slide the complete brake unit forward (towards the ski tip). The Wild Snow link that Travis posted is still accurate, even if the parts have slightly changed.

I can't tell form the pics... is the (thin, flat, plate) steel "ring" around the heel post assembly solid, or is there a wee split in it?

On older style Dynafits, once the "H" piece had been removed, I would use a pair of needle nose pliers to stretch that action open as with a speculum. And slide the mofo forward as described above.

Quote Originally Posted by SBski View Post
    As Prodigy says, don't try to remove the worm screw, but you don't need to remove the anti-rotation piece. You remove the brake assembly using snap-ring pliers to release the brake base plate and slide the complete brake unit forward (towards the ski tip). The Wild Snow link that Travis posted is still accurate, even if the parts have slightly changed.
    They're no longer just prongs, that loop around the back is solid. There's no more brake clip either, the brake piece around the baseplate post has been thickened as well. Lou has more details at http://www.wildsnow.com/8470/radical...brake-removal/.

Rereading the OP, are you not getting access to the front screws or something? Because you can just move the heelpost back until the brake assembly is clear of the screws...
    Last edited by Prodigy; 10-25-2012 at 12:58 PM.

Apologies...I just relaized from closer examination of your picture that you have the 12/13 version of the Radical binding. Lou's post on Wildsnow.com (referenced by Prodigy) has all the gnarly details of switching brakes. It may be better to return your unit and get a 130mm version. Otherwise, complete heelpieces (w/ 130mm brake) go for about $80.

Quote Originally Posted by djpowers View Post

ok, this is just weird. You posted the same exact picture that is used on the wildsnow article which EXPLAINS HOW TO DO THIS with illustrated instructions. What am I missing - is this thread stupid or what?

Quote Originally Posted by jondrums View Post
    ok, this is just weird. You posted the same exact picture that is used on the wildsnow article which EXPLAINS HOW TO DO THIS with illustrated instructions. What am I missing - is this thread stupid or what?
    It was a TGR Dynafiddle exclusive that took even the most knowing Lou by surprise. We heard it here first. Fair and unbalanced. Surely to be the first of many threads on brake arm bending/swappage. Plus a business opportunity for B & D
    Last edited by wooley12; 10-26-2012 at 05:51 PM.

Well, once the brake assembly is removed from the baseplate housing, I see no reason why the older style brakes (with H clip) wold not work. Post is the same.

So will just the brake arms be available? If so, how easy is it to just swap them?

Quote Originally Posted by bern43 View Post
    So will just the brake arms be available? If so, how easy is it to just swap them?
    In the past, it's been a well-known hack to swap Salomon brake arms into Dynafit brakes. I don't know if that would work with the Radical series brakes, but it's worth a try.

I just mounted up the Vertical FT Radical. What a joke this brake is. A solution is search of a problem. I had difficulty installing the front two screws because of this mess. I also noticed that the anti-rotation pin has been deleted, good riddance!

To Dynafit Engineers: Stop fixing shit that aint broke!
    Last edited by Johnny Deep; 10-29-2012 at 02:58 PM.
    Johnny's only sin was dispair

Do we know anymore information on the brake swap?? Will the Saloman brakes fit?? I have a brand new pair of Radical ST's (12/13) that I broke one of the brake arms trying to bend to fit my Icelantic 125 underfoot....

My ski shop says the 130mm base plates and brakes are back ordered till end of December!? WTF!? C'mon Dynafit.....I'm willing to pop the extra $80, but you have to make them available!?

Anyway.....I guess removing the brakes entirely renders the anti-rotation not working....So My option are:

1) Wait for 130mm :-(
    2) Cut off just enough of the brake arms to keep the anti-rotation properties but get rid of brakes
    3) Swap in some other brake arms.

If the Saloman's will work I will do that....anyone know??

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by XJHIGHLANDER View Post
    Do we know anymore information on the brake swap?? Will the Saloman brakes fit?? I have a brand new pair of Radical ST's (12/13) that I broke one of the brake arms trying to bend to fit my Icelantic 125 underfoot....

My ski shop says the 130mm base plates and brakes are back ordered till end of December!? WTF!? C'mon Dynafit.....I'm willing to pop the extra $80, but you have to make them available!?

Anyway.....I guess removing the brakes entirely renders the anti-rotation not working....So My option are:

1) Wait for 130mm :-(
    2) Cut off just enough of the brake arms to keep the anti-rotation properties but get rid of brakes
    3) Swap in some other brake arms.

If the Saloman's will work I will do that....anyone know??

Thanks!
    They're brand new parts coming from Europe, I don't have any carryover inventory. I'm not happy that I don't have my parts yet. I can't get them here any faster. Stop breaking stuff. <3

Don't know about the Radical but the Comfort/FT/ST brake arms have the same bend dimensions as Solly brake arms. Solly brake arm wire is 5.04 mm thick while Dynafit is 4.22 mm. I suggest you try option 3 while you're waiting and report back.