Page 3 of 69 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    BV weather site showing 11" of new at Griz top as of 9pm.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Dr. Seuss got cancelled anyway.

What's up with BV? Last year they opened with what looked like less than this (as my dinged edge can attest to). From the webcam, it looks good to go...

UPDATED

My buddy won a BV pass at the show in AC.

GiBo - Bear just announced a Dec 21st opening date. They are simply not ready yet. A summer off means a hell of a lot of work to do in order to get ready. Lift maintenance ongoing and inspections pending.

The folks that I know there are psyched to get the mountain open as soon as they can. They certainly aren't dragging their feet.

Attachment 122518

ski bare!

Krystal Kartwright and Owen and I are headed up to BV for some hiking & turns tomorrow - we'll have another family with a 2 year old (Super Avery) with us

come join teh funz!

don't forget - Winter Solstice party 12/21 - keg o' Celebration

Mike, great skiing today up Poison Canyon, east into Bee Gulch, up Bee to Underwood, then back down into Bee. Anything southfacing was excellent as long as it had a little bit of pitch to it. Heading back up with Riley the snowhound tomorrow.

I'm out. Sick as hell.

Sorry to hear, Mike. Pretty day, but winds were howling on the ridgetops. Even had a ski blown away at the bottom of the canyon. Get well for the new snow on Wed

Bear Valley update

Attachment 127587

sounds like we've got The Little Fuller Band lined up for the party

they are playing at the local golf course the next night

snow level just crashed to 3500' on hwy 108

walkies tomorrow

maybe KW on Fri

edit - 9" new snow at Griz Top since midnight

http://www.calaverasenterprise.com/n...a4bcf887a.html

Bear Valley Mountain announced Monday it will open one day earlier than planned and will offer a free lift ticket on opening day.

The resort originally announced plans to open Dec. 21, but has now opted to push the date to Thursday, Dec. 20, just in case the mystical prophecy slated for Dec. 21 comes true, a release said.

“With the world all worked up over the Mayan doomsday catastrophe, we felt we had a duty to invite outdoor enthusiasts to celebrate on Dec. 20 with a free lift ticket,” said Rosie Sundell, senior marketing director for Bear Valley Resorts. “Opening day is always a special occasion at Bear Valley and we thought this was the perfect way to appreciate our loyal guests.”

Free tickets will be issued at the resort Dec. 20 only, beginning at 9 a.m. The resort plans to operate Kuma, Koala and Cub chair for the day, offering a variety of terrain for beginners to experts. The resort is reporting a 35-inch base with total snowfall of 84 inches of natural snow for the season and is in the process of making snow.

The resort also encourages guests to make plans to head up to Bear Valley for the holidays with the following events planned from Dec. 20-Jan. 1, 2013.

Events scheduled after Dec 21st subject to change if end of the world catastrophe occurs, the release joked.

Dec. 20 – Free Lift Ticket Day on the slopes and lesson clinics.

Dec 24 – Santa visits the slopes – Bear Valley Mountain.

Dec 24 – Bear Valley Lodge Christmas Eve Celebration for families.

Dec 25 – Christmas Dinner – Creekside Restaurant, Bear Valley Lodge.

Dec 31 – New Year’s Eve live music, balloon drop and fireworks, Bear Valley Village.

For more information and details on any of these programs and opportunities, visit bearvalley.com or call 753-2301
    Last edited by ~mikey b; 12-12-2012 at 05:32 PM.

Any information about coverage around Ebbet's Pass? Is Highway 4 snowmobile-able above 6000'?

Bear Valley Snowmobile

Stanislaus NF

planning to ski near BV tomorrow - got to drop kids off at school first - 10-1030 arrival

excellent snow out Poison Canyon today - saw a few tracks but no humans - dog tracks too - were that you, John?

also.....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CFBadger1.jpg 
Views:	502 
Size:	209.6 KB 
ID:	127989

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK, Calif., December 13, 2012

Yosemite National Park's Badger Pass Ski Area announces new season pass pricing for the 2012-13 season. From now through December 23, 2012, skiers/riders can purchase adult season passes online for $149, which is more than 65 percent off regular rate. Discounted season passes for children are available at $129 for youth (ages 13-17) and $69 for children (ages 7-12). These season pass offers will also be available at Badger Pass starting opening day, which is scheduled for Friday, December 14, 2012 or when conditions permit.

Yosemite's Badger Pass Ski Area has been operating as California's original ski area for family fun since 1935. With 10 slope runs and five convenient lifts, families can experience a picturesque winter getaway with skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing and cross-country skiing, all at a fraction of the cost found at other ski resorts. In addition to affordable season passes, DNC Parks & Resorts at Yosemite is offering several packages and discounted lift ticket offers for winter adventurers to hit the slopes without breaking the bank.

Lift Ticket Deals:

o Military discounts Badger Pass offers free lift tickets, rentals and group lessons for all military personnel. Immediate family members receive 50% off lift tickets, rentals and group lessons

o "Two for Tuesday" Skiers and snowboarders can also enjoy midweek Yosemite skiing with Badger's "Two for Tuesdays" deal, which offers two adult lift tickets for the price of one at $47

"Stay N' Play" Add-on Package: Guests staying in Yosemite National Park this winter can take full advantage of the season's best activities with the Stay N' Play package. For just $50 per adult and $30 per child, in addition to the room rate, guests can enjoy:

An all-day Badger Pass lift ticket and equipment rental
    Group ski or snowboarding lesson
    A snow tubing session
    A two-hour Valley Floor Tour
    An ice skating session

Note: This package is valued at $186 for adults and is valid for mid-week, non-holiday stays at all DNC in-park lodging. Blackout dates may apply and reservations must be made in advance for this rate.

- Guaranteed-to-Snowboard/Ski Package: For those who may be new to winter sports, the Guaranteed-to-Snowboard/Ski package promises to have skiers and boarders riding Badger Pass' Bruin chairlift and cruising down the beginner slope on the first day – if not, Badger will offer a voucher to come back and try again. Package includes:
    - Equipment rental
    - A beginner lift ticket
    - A morning and afternoon group lesson

Note: Lessons are offered daily at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. Guests must be ages seven or older and space is limited.

"Badger Pass is the perfect winter destination combining family-friendly winter sports, stunning Yosemite scenery, affordable pricing and special events that really create what many consider the best ski area for beginners and families," said Colin Baldock, Badger Pass Ski Area's General Manager.

For more information or to book a Badger Pass experience, please visit www.YosemitePark.com or call 801-559-4949. For 24-hour ski conditions, call 209-372-1000. To obtain Yosemite road and weather information, call 209-372-0200.

Join the Badger Pass Ski Area conversation at Facebook.com/BadgerPass and Twitter.com/SkiBadgerPass.

Founded in 1935, Yosemite's Badger Pass Ski Area enjoys the distinction of being California's first ski resort. Badger Pass is the gateway to some of the most beautiful vistas in the High Sierra, offering five convenient lifts and spacious groomed runs for downhill skiers and snowboarders, in addition to snowshoeing, snow tubing and cross-country ski trails. The Yosemite Ski School was established in 1928 and has taught generations of first-time skiers, snowboarders and telemarkers. Msnbc.com listed Badger Pass Ski Area as a "Top Ten Ski Resort Perfect for the Entire Family". Badger Pass Ski Area is operated by DNC Parks & Resorts at Yosemite (DNC), an affiliate of Delaware North Companies and the authorized National Park Service concessionaire responsible for lodging, dining, guest recreation and transportation in Yosemite. For online lodging reservations and details regarding Badger Pass Ski Area, visit YosemitePark.com or call 559-253-5676.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Caltrans announced today it shut down Highway 108 Sonora Pass for the winter season due to recent storms and predicted heavy snow fall headed into the region. The National Weather Service reports a weekend storm system is likely to dump five to ten inches in the Sierra Nevada.

The first week of December Yosemite Park shut down Highway 120 Tioga Pass for the winter. At that time, Caltrans reported it was taking it one day at a time in determining whether to close Highway 108 Sonora Pass and Highway 4 Ebbetts Pass for the season. Caltrans says it is still taking that approach in regards to Highway 4 Ebbetts Pass. Currently Ebbetts Pass is shutdown at the Mount Reba turnoff due to snow. Caltrans has no word on when it could be close down permanently for the winter.
    Last edited by ~mikey b; 12-15-2012 at 04:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    Any information about coverage around Ebbet's Pass? Is Highway 4 snowmobile-able above 6000'?
    Dunno about 6000, probably too low, but it was good above Lake Alpine back in november. There's a chance the rain wiped out the thin base - check history on your favorite sno-tel.
    10/01/2012 Site was upgraded to 300 baud.

Telemike, how is Dodge looking after this recent cycle? Any chance of opening in the near future?

davie

just over 2' at the top and just under 1' at the base

cats working on the mountain today - winching Chair 5 bowl - building terrain park features

best case scenario is late next week - I'll keep you posted

Thanks Mike, keep me posted.
    JigaRex Universal Ski Mounting Jig

davie

my guess is that we open Friday or Saturday

hopefully a decision will be made tomorrow morning with an announcement later in the day

Wish it had been me and Riley up Poison, Mike, but just got home today from four days in Portland. Hope to get out Wed, gotta work a couple of days.

Dodge Ridge will be opening Friday 12/21

Sweet! Won't be back in California until the 4th. Hope it snows like crazy over the holidays!

check out this dork

Group drops Bear appeal
    Written by Sean Janssen, The Union Democrat December 18, 2012 10:15 am

A Twain Harte-based environmental organization has withdrawn its appeal of a U.S. Forest Service approval for a major expansion of the Bear Valley Mountain Resort.

The decision Friday by the Central Sierra Environmental Resource Center comes after negotiations with the resort to ensure mitigation measures for increased greenhouse gas emissions and a letter from the Bear Valley Water District clarifying sewer service capabilities for the project.

It paves the way for the resort to go forward with expansion plans that include: two new chairlifts to provide service between Bear Valley Village and the resort, upgrading the Super Cub chairlift, adding 174 more parking spaces, constructing a 12,500 square-foot lodge and adding 85.5 acres of developed trails.

The environmental document approved by Stanislaus National Forest Supervisor Susan Skalski was appealed Oct. 30 by CSERC to Pacific Southwest Regional Forester Randy Moore, based in Vallejo. Moore had 45 days to overrule, reverse or return the decision to the Stanislaus but the appeal was withdrawn before he did so.

“From the beginning, our center emphasized that we do not oppose the expansion of the ski area and that we are highly sensitive to the need for the Bear Valley area to have some sort of boost that can help it to recover from its depressed economy,” CSERC Executive Director John Buckley said in a prepared statement. ““In this situation, there were many flaws in the (environmental review) document that we could have used to successfully litigate and block the project. But we focused strictly on trying to improve the project, rather than aiming to prevail in court. This negotiated agreement should be a win-win outcome for all sides.”

Attempts to reach Bear Valley Mountain General Manager Jim Gentling on Monday for comment were unsuccessful.

Though the ski area expansion is now cleared to move forward as soon as next summer, the resort’s ownership was scheduled for a public hearing this morning in Markleeville on further growth plans. The Alpine County Board of Supervisors was set to discuss and potentially vote on plans to add more than 300 condominium units, a new lodge and additional commercial development in the village just east of the Calaveras County line on Highway 4.

Longshot/spam

Looking for a seasonal rental in the BV village for this winter. My family has been renting homes/cabins/shacks for 30+ years in blue lake springs, Meko Rd, big trees village, Arnold, Dorrington, etc. And now just want to be as close to the ski hill as possible with a minimal daily drive. Any property considered please pm me if you have any thoughts or suggestions.

Btw great thread Mike keep the central stoke flowin!

Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    Group drops Bear appeal
    Written by Sean Janssen, The Union Democrat December 18, 2012 10:15 am

A Twain Harte-based environmental organization has withdrawn its appeal of a U.S. Forest Service approval for a major expansion of the Bear Valley Mountain Resort.

The decision Friday by the Central Sierra Environmental Resource Center comes after negotiations with the resort to ensure mitigation measures for increased greenhouse gas emissions and a letter from the Bear Valley Water District clarifying sewer service capabilities for the project.

It paves the way for the resort to go forward with expansion plans that include: two new chairlifts to provide service between Bear Valley Village and the resort, upgrading the Super Cub chairlift, adding 174 more parking spaces, constructing a 12,500 square-foot lodge and adding 85.5 acres of developed trails.

The environmental document approved by Stanislaus National Forest Supervisor Susan Skalski was appealed Oct. 30 by CSERC to Pacific Southwest Regional Forester Randy Moore, based in Vallejo. Moore had 45 days to overrule, reverse or return the decision to the Stanislaus but the appeal was withdrawn before he did so.

“From the beginning, our center emphasized that we do not oppose the expansion of the ski area and that we are highly sensitive to the need for the Bear Valley area to have some sort of boost that can help it to recover from its depressed economy,” CSERC Executive Director John Buckley said in a prepared statement. ““In this situation, there were many flaws in the (environmental review) document that we could have used to successfully litigate and block the project. But we focused strictly on trying to improve the project, rather than aiming to prevail in court. This negotiated agreement should be a win-win outcome for all sides.”

Attempts to reach Bear Valley Mountain General Manager Jim Gentling on Monday for comment were unsuccessful.

Though the ski area expansion is now cleared to move forward as soon as next summer, the resort’s ownership was scheduled for a public hearing this morning in Markleeville on further growth plans. The Alpine County Board of Supervisors was set to discuss and potentially vote on plans to add more than 300 condominium units, a new lodge and additional commercial development in the village just east of the Calaveras County line on Highway 4.
    I'm as big an environmentalist wacko as they come, but having dealt with a couple of these types of settlements lately, the highlighted comment usually means the environmental group got their pay off. Good for BV though. I believe expansion is the only way they will survive.

And thank God for this snow man! I know Dodge and Bear live and die by having a big x-mas week. So happy they both opened!

Hope to be up on the 5th or 6th, Mike.
    Last edited by GiBo; 12-19-2012 at 11:07 AM.