Rossi Experience 98 vs. Blizzard Bonafide vs. ???

Looking for a hard snow ski for Alta/Snowbird. Would like to be able to use the same ski for chalk/corn skiing off piste and for groomers. I've had trashed 189/191 rossi B-Squads for this purpose for the last three years but they only last about 50 days before they explode, and last season made me appreciate what a 100mm waisted ski can do at a ski area when its not snowing.

I've been thinking about the Rossi Exp 98 for a while, as I'm attracted to its nearly full camber and tight turning radius. I think it would be awesome on groomers and that I'd use it off-piste only when the snow is hard. The Bonafide, on the other hand, lacks the camber that I think I want in a hard snow ski, but it would probably be more versatile in softer snow.

Any other skis in the 188cm, 100mm underfoot, at least partially cambered neck-of-the-woods you'd consider for hard snow skiing at Alta/Snowbird?

How big of a guy are you? The 188 Experience skis big where the 187 Bonafide is a bit more playful. These are two of my favorite 98mm skis today. The bonafide is better on hard snow than the Experience is in soft/crud, the snub nose tip can get caught up. I ski the Bonafide as my every day ski and think it is one of the most versatile western skis. I think it has just the right amount of camber.
    Click. Point. Chute.

I'm 6'2" 155#. Thats right. For a skinnier ski I do prefer something that can/needs to be stood upon.

Your characterization of the difference btw the two skis is exactly how I'd expect it to be stated. How about this: is the Exp 98 better on hard snow than the Bodacious? It really is more about hard snow for this ski choice, as I have some R2 115s for soft snow.

Where on this continium does you preference lie: Do you want something that's quick and poppy to energize your hard snow skiing but will toss you around a bit when you push speed in hard stuff off piste, or something damp and stable that will flow with it, but is kind of boring and ho-hum on groomers?

Dynastar Cham 97. Stout build, short radius, lots of camber, good rocker at the tip.

I like the idea of the Cham 97 if you want a lot of side cut. Otherwise I would go with the Bonifide.

Others to consider:
    Volkl Mantra
    Line Prophet 98
    Line Influence 105
    Atomic Alibi

But I'd go with the Cham 97 or the Bonifide, depending on how much side cut you want.

I skied the Bonafides last year and ended up ordering the same for this year...just couldn't imagine a ski being more fun than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher3000 View Post
    I'm 6'2" 155#. Thats right. For a skinnier ski I do prefer something that can/needs to be stood upon.

Your characterization of the difference btw the two skis is exactly how I'd expect it to be stated. How about this: is the Exp 98 better on hard snow than the Bodacious? It really is more about hard snow for this ski choice, as I have some R2 115s for soft snow.
    The E98 is much better than the Bodacious. For your size, I would say the Bonafide in a 187 but the E98 in the 180.
    Click. Point. Chute.

I'm drawn to the exp 98 in a 188 because it seems like it would have that "big ski" feel, and that it would reward some driving, like the b-squads I've used early season for the last couple years, but that its increased sidecut and skinny waist might give it more life on icy groomers. Basically, I'm looking for a B-squad that will rail turns of a manageable size on groomers. I realize that the 41 meter radius of the 189 b-squad is what made it pivot and smear so quickly off-piste, but I think sidecut can be manipulated in the same manner.

I realize it might be tough to wrong btw these two skis, but perhaps there is something better than both for skiing hard, on hard snow off piste that will also be relatively fun on groomers.

I'd lean more towards the Bonafide, but my preference leans toward corn/chalk snow off piste. The Dynastar Legend 94 would be a good choice if you want a low radius tip-rockered Bsquad, but is on the softer side. The Bonafide will ski pretty loose in the tail compared to the Bsquad, and the Rossi will be a bit poppier - too much rebound for predictable off piste skiing. The Salomon Sentinel is also a Bsquadesque ski. If you have the funds then a Stormrider Pro or Kastle is what you want, but few here can fork over that kind of cash.

You could always pick up a cheap SL or GS recreational race ski off craigslist for groomers early season. That's what I do. You can sometimes find them as cheap as 50$.
    Last edited by Lindahl; 10-19-2012 at 11:27 AM.

See if you can find any of these on the web;
    Faction Alias 100 - comes in a 188, stiff. 26-ish sidecut. Some tip-rocker.
    Or Coreupt Ascension - pretty much the same if I remember correctly
    I've skied neither, only hand-flexed them. Almost bought the Alias today as a inbounds charger

Both are a lot more ski than my 187 Bonafides. Which are great all-mountain skis. Use them for everyday tele. Works pretty good in pow as well. I'm pretty much your height, but 10kgs heavier

I'm a few pounds more, and a few inches shorter than the OP, and I demo'd the Bones. Conditions were truly the suckage with refrozen crud. I had problems in those condtions with the 187CM. Felt stiff and planky. Did fine on the groomers, which were also hard, refrozen corduroy. In any event, I wasn't fond as many are about the Bonafide's.

I did try the Sentinel, and was really surprised by this ski. I had heard nothing about it prior to demoing them. Very stable, solid, and damp feeling ski. Railed groomers, floated over the crud too. To be fair, however, I was skiing these later in the morning, after the sun was starting to work it's magic.

I also demo'd a 177 Cham 97, and it was a fun ski. Probably too short for all mtn riding but damn fun for the front side noodling around. A blast in that size in the moguls. Railed groomers like a much narrower waisted ski would rail. Tip was a bit flappy when you let it get up to speed. I actually would probably pick up a pair just for those inbetween days when it hadn't snowed much, or the resort got just a light dusting of a few inches. Based on its polarizing love it or hate it opinions, definitely demo this ski before you buy.

I didn't demo the E98, and wish I had. I ended up pulling the trigger on last years S3 in a 186. I am more of a finess skier, and like the lively, poppy feel of the S3. I have been on an old pair of Fischer Atua 186 skis for seveal years, and the S3 ski felt more like the Atua than anything I have demo'd over the years. But had that instant float from the rockered tip. The rocker in the tail is subtle, and makes it just so much easier to smear, and it is surprisingly good on the groomers. I don't think it's what you want for what you are looking for though.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...99#post3779099

Narrower than you specified but these 75 mm underfoot stocklis of pfluffenmeister would be a hoot
    Aggressive in my own mind

I've been looking for a similar ski to replace my Head im88's that have been my go to hard snow ski for 4-5 years. Demo'd the Bondfides and E88's along with a few others at a demo day last year, but could not get on a set of longer E98's to try out.

I had heard great things about the bonafides, but I didn't get it. They didn't feel as precise or rock stable as I drove them on harder and variable snow. It may have been the tune, but they seemed to turn too easily and hook up which is the exact opposite of what I expected in a rockered ski. The 186 E88 put huge smiles on my face. Awesome edge grip and predictable when driving them hard. Skied like a fat GS ski. I didn't get them into any real soft snow, but would expect the wide tip to give just enough surface area in the tip to play in boot deep stuff.

I have been eyeing the 188 E98 as well, it definitely looks like a lot of ski and flexes fairly stiff and round.
    "Don't tease me about my hobbies, I don't tease you about being an asshole"

Haven't been on the EX98 but have skied the Bone and several others in that category. My hands down favorite, along with the Bone, was the Nordica Hell and back. Great boards!