Thread: inferred paint remover?

inferred paint remover?

I've recently moved and will be working on a lot of re-painting on an older house that's seen many many coats of paint. I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts on inferred paint removeres and how they work around old doors and windows in particular. In reading up in them, they seem like a great idea, but it's always what you don't know that gets you.

Inferred?? Maybe infra-red??

Either way, I got nothin'.

not sure on that. most old paint is oil based and new shit is water based so you get orangepeel. oh yeah its got lead in it also
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Infrared paint removers work great especially for older houses with lead paints where you would not want to sand it off. What it does is softens the paint to be removed with a scraper. Defiantly the fastest and safest (for the wood) way to remove paint.

^learn sumthin everyday
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    ^learn sumthin everyday
    Like spelling?
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Like spelling?
    No I can spell, it's called one hand typing while eating a sandwich. But lately I'm working on quick witted quips
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?

2021/2022 (13/15)

PB has it right. Google that shit cause there are websites where you can make your own for way cheaper than buying new. You can make one with the element from a quartz or ceramic heater. If you have to strip, this is the way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    PB has it right. Google that shit cause there are websites where you can make your own for way cheaper than buying new. You can make one with the element from a quartz or ceramic heater. If you have to strip, this is the way to do it.
    good to know, i've stumbled across a few of those websites and I've felt encouraged. It looks way easier than chemicals or sanding, especially with lead paint. Lots and lots of opportunity for stripping, sanding and re-painting in this place.

town I grew up in has lots of old (~100yr) wood houses. For stripping paint off actual doors & windows people used to get them dipped in some sort of acid. Definitely not DIY, & you have to take the doors/windows off & take them to a place. But shit loads faster & less hassle if you are doing a complete reno on a place with lots of doors/windows.

Quote Originally Posted by samthaman View Post
    ...it's always what you don't know that gets you.
    couldn't half said it butter myself!
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

I prefer the implied paint remover

oooo where can I buy one of those???

Quote Originally Posted by samthaman View Post
    I've recently moved and will be working on a lot of re-painting on an older house that's seen many many coats of paint. I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts on inferred paint removeres and how they work around old doors and windows in particular. In reading up in them, they seem like a great idea, but it's always what you don't know that gets you.
    I own a bunch of them and they are the bomb. Expensive, but they are the only way to safely strip 20 layers of lead paint and not start a fire.

We've done many entire houses... they are tedious and it will take serious effort, but the results are great. If you have the time and are willing to bust some ass, it's worth it. PM me if you want any more info, Sam.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

like the man said--look up lead paint before you do anything.