Page 23 of 63 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    yes, i'm allergic' to poison oak! also, no truck but yes saw. I could probably work something out regarding a 3/4 ton truck with a friend, making this a great opportunity (thanks!), but the PO thing sounds like it would kill the deal. thoughts?
    I'll ask. No promises.

It's not all in PO but I know it's around.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMountainHound View Post
    The old long log 5-axle trailers carried about 35cubic metres, or approx 12 cords. Since the pine beetle salvage really ramped up, 7, 8 and even 9 and 10 axle b-trains are the norm and they carry the loads XXX-er is describing. Only issue is that with the industry switching over to small diameter pine salvage, it can be hard to find 'firewood' grade logs that go for the old $.25/m3 stumpage (royalty) rates in the central and northern interior of BC.
    You can drive by 5 acre lots on the outskirts and see L truck loads of logs dropped and that hasn't changed, the point is that a generation of fairly thrifty locals (dutch people) finds it cheaper to have their fire wood dropped on the property than go out and beat up their saw & their truck & burn fuel even tho they can go out and find free wood already feeled & sitting in a brush pile waiting to be burnt

which speaks to the real cost of burning wood so who ever adds it up completely the cost of stove, the instal, the truck, the fuel, the saw the time, the danger, the work?

In contrast you could theoretically fuel a pellet stove a sack or 2 home in your prius every time you go to town but its easier to just get a pallet or 2 dropped, one of my buddy's is a quadrapalegic and he will be burning pellet this winter
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Finishing up today and tomorrow. Gotta love a friend who owns a Timberwolf six-way splitter! Even better when he rents to ya for beer!
    The Passion is in the Risk

Badass! 2.5 cords from 11 am to 6:30 pm. Love this beast!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1416081378174.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	102.5 KB 
ID:	160362  
    Last edited by lynchdogger; 11-15-2014 at 05:39 PM.

We finished cutting a new ski run last week cold/wet/ balls deep in 1/2 a meter of snow during a 30 cm storm, the saws were plugging up with wet sawdust, one of this years tougher gigs ... done cutting for the season

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post

which speaks to the real cost of burning wood so who ever adds it up completely the cost of stove, the instal, the truck, the fuel, the saw the time, the danger, the work?
    In some ways true but if you live out in country you do need a wood backup in case of a prolonged power outage so I don't think I could gone the totally elec route. So there would always be the capital cost of stove.

Now whether to go to the woods to cut dead standing/fall or have a logging truck drop a load or even buy split delivered? For me I haven't had to think about that yet as this years wood came from property clean up which had to be done anyway. I got two more years worth by cleaning up stuff on neighbours land so was really close ( alot of which was primo pine standing dead which was easy to split). Next year will try slash piles to see if i can get two more years worth, 10 cords. I know a logger with a woodlot who pays for the firewood to be moved from his landing to his place. Now he uses a full logging truck every year and has one of those outside boilers. If I didn't have a 16ft utility trailer I would be getting a truck load delivered. No way I would use my truck to move what I need just too many trips.
    Last edited by DougW; 11-15-2014 at 06:57 PM.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

well every situ is different but like I said lots of people buy it by the logging truck full, right now there is lots of wood close to town I see guys harvesting on the way up the ski hill every day dragging a skimmer out of the bush & putting it in a beat up old truck that has to burn fule & be fixed

http://www.telkwa.com/images/uploads...masswNotes.pdf

this is pretty cool ^^The village of Telkwa instaled a biomass generator, most maggots will lack the drive to read all 11 pages if they even bother to click on the link but If you do it will show you what is possible

Me, ironicly I have all the cutting gear but don't burn wood

yes but at this point my job is closed for the shoulder season, the work is exercise that i like and want, the subaru i'm loading is my girlfriends and i rent a house with a fireplace (which is super inefficient) so all that leaves is the saw the fuel and the danger. i spent $30 on gas, oil, and bar oil and haven't died yet. heating the same house last winter without wood was $250/ month and i've got that covered (although i expect $60-$100/month this year) plus 3 cords to sell.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Anybody know much about "The Earth Stove" brand of wood stoves? I just moved into a place with one, and have no idea how it works. It has a blower on the back that seems to feed the combustion chamber and a knob with marks for H and M (the rest is worn off). No mechanical damper that I can see. If I run it with the door closed and the blower on, it gets very hot very fast. If I don't use the blower, it won't get going unless I leave the door open. Is the blower supposed to always be on?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1416098074.117285.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	638.8 KB 
ID:	160396

nice seasoned ash is burning perfect this time of year. another month of ash, then we move onto maple and oak for the cold season. 3rd winter heating with mostly wood and haven't had to buy any. when the power company comes a clearing, we follow with the hatch open. for weeks. a labor of love. this winters and next winters ready to go, collecting winter wood 16/17 now.
    Last edited by thewon; 11-15-2014 at 09:43 PM.

Finally started splitting the last load of wood I brought home from the National Forest for the winter. My splitting maul is about 5 years old and it is still getting the job done. From splitting wet cottonwood, which is a pain in the ass because the mail just sinks into the wood to stringy elm it has seen some tough chunks of wood. That said the vast majority of the wood I have left to split is hard maple red oak. When done I'll have more than two cords for the winter with another cord or two cut for the cottage.

done about 5 cord this year with this guy:

http://www2.fiskars.com/Gardening-an...6#.VGgfb4ctY7A

easy work.

Threw a new chain on my Husky Rancher 65. Oh yea!!! It flies through the wood, that saw is the best $150 I ever spent on a used saw. Its been helping me heat my house for 15 years now. It filled my bank account a few times but that is way too hard work so I don't do that shit anymore.

I found a stash of standing dead larch today about 7 km from home. I overloaded my truck and trailer with a bit more than 1.5 cords in 3 hours returned to the house.

I'm amazed at how many people I know are scurrying around trying to scrounge this winter's wood in mid-November.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    I'm amazed at how many people I know are scurrying around trying to scrounge this winter's wood in mid-November.
    Me too.

Your 7-11=my Cumberland farms.

My my kindling comes from construction site dumpsters.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    I found a stash of standing dead larch today about 7 km from home. I overloaded my truck and trailer with a bit more than 1.5 cords in 3 hours returned to the house.
    Which reminds me of doing that a couple of times with the roomies truck a while back, it cost him for a transfer case on his F-350 the next week

Quote Originally Posted by thewon View Post
    Your 7-11=my Cumberland farms.

My my kindling comes from construction site dumpsters.
    have done that, well my own offcuts but now just use branches of the trees I cut down and just stuff them in garbage cans
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Which reminds me of doing that a couple of times with the roomies truck a while back, it cost him for a transfer case on his F-350 the next week
    I was going to call BS on that but did the sums and if you could get a cord of wood in back of truck , green wood would be 4000lbs which would over load a 1 ton. I'll stick to my 14,000lb utility trailer for hauling wood.

A cubic meter of buckskin western larch is around 600kg. A cubic meter is approx 1/3 of a cord (but that is all based on a solid piece of wood - no spaces). So ya, that dry larch approaches the 2tonne mark. But at only 7km from the homestead, I would risk the wear for standing seasoned wood that splits itself upon hitting the ground - it's the only wood standing dry that's worth throwing into the chamber in the current season. And if you don't take as much as you can in one go, no guarantees any will remain for a second trip. Some of the shenanigans that went on chasing stashes of buckskin larch when I was in the firewood game would make for a prime time reality show.

A windstorm 2 weeks ago ripped a big trunk off a broadleaf maple, so I spent some quality time with the little stihl.
    Now got to split the stuff so it has a prayer of drying before March.

It's been cold here and the wood stove really makes it tolerable...

I do wonder about the environmental efficacy and get the environmental finger wagged at me for burning wood because gas is !so! much cleaner, but the thing about wood is that for me it's local, doesn't require refining and is a surface resource, meaning it doesn't have to be extracted from some prehistoric layer.

As skiers, it's really hypocritical to worry about it when we burn so much fossil fuels to do our thing....all I can do is plant my 40-50 trees a year: cedar, Sitka spruce, Douglas fir and hope for more public as well as pubic transport.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Got into the big boys today!

I mean big!

Name:	1416176060544.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	160428  

Action shots.

Name:	1416176140786.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	160429   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1416176153239.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	160430   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1416176181227.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	102.7 KB 
ID:	160431  

Quote Originally Posted by DougW View Post
    I was going to call BS on that but did the sums and if you could get a cord of wood in back of truck , green wood would be 4000lbs which would over load a 1 ton. I'll stick to my 14,000lb utility trailer for hauling wood.
    F-350 powerstroke with the 8ft box, with the tailgate down stack the uncut 8-10ft lengths in a crib till they are 2 feet higher than the box, overload the trailer in a similar manner which is BTW made from an old ford 8ft box on the original frame so its fucking heavy, to get out on the unfrozen winter road chew thru 6-12" of gumbo mud and the transfer case shits the bed 1 week later ... coincidence or overload ?