Page 2 of 163 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Tahoe and everything you could need, me likey
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I'll start by asking: best sushi option(s) around Truckee / Donner / Tahoe City?

Ummm, that would be our ski lease condo when I stop at the Asian food market here in the Bay Area on my way up. I have a couple friends up there who are not bad at rolling sushi and I bring up a bunch of fish. It's freakin' awesome.

Best sous-vide? TheDad's house!
    I'm a cougar, not a MILF! I have to protect my rep! - bklyn

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

Facing a heat wave without a new thread may have been some depressing shit. Let's post up some stoke ASAP! Thanks RF for the effort.
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sinecure View Post
    Ummm, that would be our ski lease condo when I stop at the Asian food market here in the Bay Area on my way up. I have a couple friends up there who are not bad at rolling sushi and I bring up a bunch of fish. It's freakin' awesome.

Best sous-vide? TheDad's house!
    Nice. Sounds good to me.

Sushi was actually covered quite extensively in the 11/12 Tahoe thread with recs for Tahoe (Northshore and Southshore) as well as Incline and Reno. Worth revisiting that thread just to find the sushi convo.

That said, FWIW/IMHO, I am partial to Java Sushi in Truckee. I've been to the places at Squaw and NS and feel both are way too $$$ and just overall lacking when compared to what you can get in San Francisco for the same price or cheaper. Java smokes their own freshly caught trout, which is tasty. And they offer up a nice variety of sashimi and rolls and, thankfully, they avoid the 20 varieties of Cali Roll wrapped in something and deep-fried that too many of the other places seem to think qualifies as sushi.

A place in Incline keeps getting rec'd to me, but I forget what it is called. I avoid the place in KB as I've heard too many horror stories of folks getting sick there. And I've found that there are 2 factions in Reno: The Sushi Pier crowd and the Atlantis crowd, though lately I've heard good buzz about a place in south Reno, but I can't recall the name.

Again, worth re-visiting the 11/12 thread to read the sushi coverage as it's been talked to death before.

"Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    What's funny is that I just noticed all the info on page one of the Tahoe threads...kind of always just clicked the latest page over the years. haha.
    Same - nice job on the info up front!

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    Sushi was actually covered quite extensively in the 11/12 Tahoe thread with recs for Tahoe (Northshore and Southshore) as well as Incline and Reno. Worth revisiting that thread just to find the sushi convo.

That said, FWIW/IMHO, I am partial to Java Sushi in Truckee. I've been to the places at Squaw and NS and feel both are way too $$$ and just overall lacking when compared to what you can get in San Francisco for the same price or cheaper. Java smokes their own freshly caught trout, which is tasty. And they offer up a nice variety of sashimi and rolls and, thankfully, they avoid the 20 varieties of Cali Roll wrapped in something and deep-fried that too many of the other places seem to think qualifies as sushi.

A place in Incline keeps getting rec'd to me, but I forget what it is called. I avoid the place in KB as I've heard too many horror stories of folks getting sick there. And I've found that there are 2 factions in Reno: The Sushi Pier crowd and the Atlantis crowd, though lately I've heard good buzz about a place in south Reno, but I can't recall the name.

Again, worth re-visiting the 11/12 thread to read the sushi coverage as it's been talked to death before.

I forgot about that - so many pages in last year's thread, but you're right - it's well covered. Agreed that the base village options don't even enter the discussion - I've been to both, and once was enough in both cases. My friend called the place at N* sushi for people from the midwest, which was pretty spot on IMO.

YEEE-HAWWW

Stoked for this year. Rose passes for the Huckwheat Family (year 2). Missus and I are buying tele gear.....to make both skiing with a 5 and 2 year old (and skiing Rose) more entertaining. And just excited to see the 5 year old continue to learn......cool stuff!!!
    ----Yeah, and maybe every so often get out and get after it (but I am a realist too).

QUESTION: how are the Aspens on 267, South of Northstar, looking right now? Think I am heading up this weekend with family. That is a great picture spot, then we usually hike the firelookout.
    Donjoy to the World!

Quote Originally Posted by Huckwheat View Post
    QUESTION: how are the Aspens on 267, South of Northstar, looking right now? Think I am heading up this weekend with family. That is a great picture spot, then we usually hike the firelookout.
    They were prime this last weekend. May be a little past due next weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    I just was assuming he was creating an eternal thread.
    I'm trying to fix it but I think I need an admin to do it. Anyone know who is admin now?

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    Yo, RF, when you get a chance, could you add IV Coffee Lab to the Incline list of places to eat/drink?

It opened late this summer and is close to the 7-11 (same complex as Fredricks and Bite). Anyhow, they serve the best coffee in Tahoe (fancy beans prepared individually pour-over style) and are good peeps. I'm not affiliated with them; I just like good coffee.
    It would be ok if you were associated, I'm happy to tribe traffic to mag thingies.

Also, character limits have really limited what I could do with the thread and the one place that was handicapped most was the food links. The links are still good because it gives you the description of the location, but Consigliere was thoughtful enough to give us a google map. I have not had time to make the changes to it, but I will be adding more places to eat an drink to the map this weekend... hopefully.

Link to Map:

Food/Treat Map One stop shopping! ~Consigliere~

^^^ This link is also in the first post.

On a final note, I tried to edit the first post from tapatalk and I think there might be post size limits for the app and half of the first post was deleted. I will get back and fix the links tonight when I get home.

Keep the requests coming! I will do my best to address them all, I promise I'm not ignoring you.

okbye
    Last edited by RaccoonFace; 10-16-2012 at 08:36 AM.
    TELL YOUR BOOBS TO QUIT STARING AT MY EYES!!!1!

Here, I'll help you out:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobody Famous View Post
    RENO SUPERMOTO

Quote Originally Posted by harpo-the-skier View Post
    Nice job again rf, do you want to include which season it is in the title, that seems a tradition.
    Actually, I think that right now it is very correct to NOT have the year in the title.
    I have not yet seen the photos of Phresh Phat Powder Tracks from the Sierra's.
    Till then, it is 11/12.

Vets on Dunderberg, 10/7/12
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-10-07_14-31-30_146.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	122968
    Dookey67 in the shadows.
    Not Phresh Phat Powder Tracks

Well played, RF.

Let it Snow!
    Last edited by powdrhound; 10-16-2012 at 09:28 AM. Reason: photo

One step closer to Phresh n' Phat! I'm ready!!!
    I can't remember...

Hey RF, the yellow text is nearly impossible to read on the forums new white background. Can you tweak that?
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    And I've found that there are 2 factions in Reno: The Sushi Pier crowd and the Atlantis crowd, though lately I've heard good buzz about a place in south Reno, but I can't recall the name.
    Are you talking about Ijji 2? It opened up about 8 months ago in the shopping center at Keitzke and virginia and its sushi is quite good. Or maybe Hiroba?
    Last edited by thudder; 10-16-2012 at 10:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    Hey RF, the yellow text is nearly impossible to read on the forums new white background. Can you tweak that?
    New white background? Looks the same to me. I'm guessing you can select different display themes.

BA is playing cautious this time around, but one week out looks promising. And has for the last several runs of the models. Fingers crossed.

Not Skiing Related

Good Job, again, RF. Thank you for taking the trouble.

So, not stoke, or skiing, but wondered if any of you lot are going to The Dew Tour in SF this weekend (Thu - Sun)?
    http://www.allisports.com/dew-tour/e...2012/schedules

No Vert Ramp or Bowl, unfortunately, but BMX Dirt & Street, FMX Dirt, and SK8 street.
    It's in Civic Centre, in front of the Town Hall, plus Sunday on Harrison St. First time hosted in SF.

Cinders & me expect to be there on Thurs afternoon, and either Sat or Sun, or maybe both. The weather should be very nice, for SF!

Incidentally, BackcountryDotCom is now one of the sponsors, as they are Dog Funk.

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

anyone going to Choose Your Adventure in not Tahoe? @ Portrero Sports Basement in SF tonight. I'll be there ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Did anybody else see the California game warden show on Nat geo releasing black bears on the backside of N* last night
    "make it snow you fuck"
    -Mikee, every single morning

Looking for half a pair of 188 tahoes

Quote Originally Posted by Dude Bro View Post
    Did anybody else see the California game warden show on Nat geo releasing black bears on the backside of N* last night
    Love that show(wild justice). A couple of episodes back they nailed a Deer poacher in truckee. He had a garage full of illegal game.

Watching them release those bears behind north star reminded me of a few years ago when we were camping above ice house and some rangers released a bear about a quarter mile from our camp. We asked where the bear was from and he said yosemite!
    "Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will..."

Quote Originally Posted by thudder View Post
    Are you talking about Ijji 2? It opened up about 8 months ago in the shopping center at Keitzke and virginia and its sushi is quite good. Or maybe Hiroba?
    Hiroba is tasty, Sushi Pier was economical on Tuesdays with the Rose pass deal (not sure this year?), have not done Atlantis or ijji. I thought ijji was a Benihana-style joint?
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

holy shit, tonight I won a Voile shovel, a Flylow softshell, and a MHW shell. I gave away the shovel to the dude whose long arm I used to buy the raffle tickets ($20 for an 'arm's length of tickets)

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

i have long arms. can i has the mountain hardwear?
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by kona12 View Post
    Love that show(wild justice). A couple of episodes back they nailed a Deer poacher in truckee. He had a garage full of illegal game.

Watching them release those bears behind north star reminded me of a few years ago when we were camping above ice house and some rangers released a bear about a quarter mile from our camp. We asked where the bear was from and he said yosemite!
    That's a long trip in a bear trap
    "make it snow you fuck"
    -Mikee, every single morning

Looking for half a pair of 188 tahoes

PD, when I use your long arms to win all the shit at the TAFF raffle, you can have an MHW shell

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell