Rockshox U-Turn problem - travel winds down during riding

I'm having an issue on my Lyrik coil U-Turn where the travel winds down during the course of a ride. I check it every time I stop during a descent, and the knob is usually turned 5 or so clicks from full travel, more if it's an especially rough, high-speed descent. The U-Turn spring was installed in summer of 2011 and I use the adjustment quite often.

What is responsible for holding the travel adjustment in place? Is it the detent balls and springs in the top cap alone, or is there friction within the mechanism lower in the fork that holds it as well? I have read about stretching the springs in the top cap to add more pressure to the detent balls, and also adding more springs/balls in the empty slots. Does anyone have experience with this?

A friend had the same thing happen to his pike this summer. We were able to do a temp fix using zip ties holding the top cap in place and keeping it from spinning. Since then, he opened it up and replaced those balls/bearings and its been working great since.

It seems I solved the problem by stretching the springs that pressure the detent balls in the cap.