Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thumbs up TR: The Ski Cults Are Made of--Rossignol Axiom

So I bought a pair off Mntlion (who rocks) last spring in hopes of getting a shorter, lighter touring ski. Skis arrived and as Mntlion warned, they were not light at all. They were frickin' battleships! So I mounted my large Freerides on 'em, which I can only use with my alpine boots due to the fact that I'm right between large and medium. They subsequently sat in my garage all spring and all of this winter until Saturday.

I was hoping to go to Jackson this weekend but was thwarted by an emergency vet visit friday. After blacking out on Friday night, I got up Saturday and decided to to give the axioms a shot on a nice 2K, northern pitch close to town. The combo of these things with my alpine boots and a wicked hangover made me think I had lead bricks attached to my feet...by the top, I couldn't believe how I felt after only 2K! Oh well, I was there. I removed the skins and ratcheted everything down while jmmy page and my other buddies gawked in awe at the seemingly decrepit and outdated monsters under my feet.

I made the first few turns down pretty nice mashed potatoes and was pleasantly surprised, but had to stop before getting any groove due to an elk trench. Damned elk, poaching our lines! Shortly after, however, we found some longer shots and the axioms killed it! I could pound them into turns and they're width and stiffness reacted perfectly. I liked 'em so much, I took them out to the same shot the next day with about 4" of new and just loved them in the soft, fluffy stuff. I like 'em so much, I'm going to mount alpine binders on them in anticipation of a huge powder day...they'd kill it and would probably ski variable or chopped powder much better than the Gotamas.

Find some and git 'em!
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Werd. Now go find the thread were I told you to do this four months ago. Oh yeh...you missed a 4+miles in and 3K vert ascent for 1K marginal pow tours recon tour. Sucks to be you. Hope to pooch is doing OK. Axioms kill!

Floater where is the mention of the bandana headband you were rockin'.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy page
    Floater where is the mention of the bandana headband you were rockin'.
    It's assumed.

Yeah, it should be mentioned that both jimmy and I have developed immeasurable steeze over the weekend. I will continue to rock the straw hat while hiking, but with an addition of a bandana headband under. Axel Rose meets Tanner meets Farmer John.

Page, on the other hand, went banadana under Smith mesh--CR Johnson reincarnated into backcountry hippy?
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

axioms rule! ...and have the same sidecut as another volkl... the sanouk ... 130-110-120 but are a hell of a lot stiffer. Mine are about to get the fritschi treatment as well. The spatulas are taking up the powder day slot at the moment, but the axioms are waiting in the wings just in case...

glad that you like them

Great all around ski.

Mine went into retirement when I got the spats, but decided to take them out to the summit. Skied them four days in a row on hardpack, jackson hole bumps, ice, frozen mashed potatoes, crud, pow and well, any condition available. They rocked.

I was going to buy a pair of Gotamas but after remembering why i liked these so much, it would be a waste of money.

I have a pair with freerides that have never been ridden. Just waiting for snow. I also have a new undrilled pair. No they are not for sale. Mmmmmm....yes they are.....$500. I've owned two pairs previously and they both killed it. I feel stupid I sold them. But I got the two undrilled pairs for $100 each. One at the University of Wisconsin Hoofers Ski Club swap and one on ebay. Can't wait to get back on them. I've been sidetracked with the next big thing for a few years now. Fuck SPs. Fuck Legend Pros. It's all about the Axioms.
    ROBOTS ARE EATING MY FACE.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater
    ... I will continue to rock the straw hat while hiking, ...
    I too, often wear a straw hat with wide brim hiking. It is a great looking combo for sunny Spring treks.

Also, thanks for the review. I will look around for them and lift up a pair. I am in the market for an off-piste, climbing, rock ski.
    when not on the snow what else do i do...

http://www.jatho-craftsman.blogspot.com/

But I would rather own Nordica FF's and W105's

Maybe we can start a blood-fued... ski cult warfare can erupt across the land.

Seriously though, gotta love the old skis that never die...

I love my axioms I got to ride them twice in the last week due to the storms. It
    is one awsome powder ski, and it is great when it gets cut up. I wish rossi would make them again. I don't have nordicas 105 but they should bring them back as well. Skis that are built like tanks rule.
    If ski companies didn't make new skis every year I wouldn't have to get new skis every year.

www.levelninesports.com
    http://skiingyeti.blogspot.com/

Bump....

I saw a pair of rossi axioms at Rainier Rides at Crystal Mountain. the owner is in the mood to deal. . I would call them as they are only open until next weekend.

Ask for Christiaan....

(360) 663 -0182
    Last edited by extreeski; 04-04-2005 at 04:37 PM.

Bump....

Picking up a pair tomorrow funny this thread got bummed
    If ski companies didn't make new skis every year I wouldn't have to get new skis every year.

www.levelninesports.com

Quote Originally Posted by fat yeti View Post
    Picking up a pair tomorrow funny this thread got bummed
    ha, yeah, i got frisky and bought a pair of axioms for $75 and a pair of powder pluses for $30 off ebay yesterday. not skied either since 2007, but looking forward to trying them again. personally feel both those skis are every bit as good as any of the 105-110 type skis out there today.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Axioms currently mounted: 1 AT, 1 Duke, 2 alpine. 2 singles sitting in the closet waiting for their chance. 4 dead ones waiting to become furniture. Yeah, I like Axioms. Have yet to ski something I like better.

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    ha, yeah, i got frisky and bought a pair of axioms for $75 and a pair of powder pluses for $30 off ebay yesterday. not skied either since 2007, but looking forward to trying them again. personally feel both those skis are every bit as good as any of the 105-110 type skis out there today.
    Sweet. I guess I can pick up some Axioms for $100 and skip buying the wailer 105. The extra $1149 will pay for a full week in whistler this summer.

Just picked my pair up now time to find some bindings.

www.levelninesports.com

I have some 916's. 85.00 and I am in SLC

I thought this was a modern-day thread until I got to "So I mounted my large Freerides on 'em..."

Tempting on the 916s but trying to use the holes that are for look px or some pivots so I can use some of the same holes.

www.levelninesports.com

It took 2 skis to replace my axioms (coaxs & sickles) but only because I'm getting lazy with age.

My last surviving pair is pretty soft (which I like) and mounted at +1 (much better than the line...+2 could be even better). As long as I keep them sharp under foot they kill every condition imaginable.

Funny I found this thread. I left my first pair in Alta a few years ago. I recently found a un-drilled pair and promptly purchased. Mounting up this week and making it a dedicated pow ski. The only ski I've ever regretted parting with.