Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Glacier Park Lodge in Rogers Pass is closed

Parks Canada terminated its lease with the operators of Glacier Park Lodge in Rogers Pass. I never stayed there, but from what I heard it was a pretty good place to stay for a dirt bag ski bum, with access out the door to some of the best ski terrain anywhere.

Hopefully someone takes it over in time for winter – or at least gets the bar running for post ski nachos, poutine and beer.

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    That's a real shame.

Great place, great access. Fond memories.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Hope someone picks it up, great location. For the price it was a good deal.

Ahhhh fuck....I stay there quite a bit in the winter. It's always a riot and strange shit always happens when we stayed there...unexpected shit that pegs the entertainment level that never happens at other hotels. I really hope they get it back open asap.

Love the location. Kind of an odd vibe there though. I'm sure someone will reopen it.
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

shit. This sucks. Hopefully someone picks it up. I can't imagine parks canada would be excited to have a vacant hotel sitting right next to their visitor center.

I never got around to staying there either, but I was planning to this winter. It'll be a winter of sleeping in the truck or trekking into Wheeler Hut I guess...

Any idea why was the lease cancelled? Are Parks trying to shut the place down permanently, or were there some breaches of lease conditions by the operators?

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    shit. This sucks. Hopefully someone picks it up. I can't imagine parks canada would be excited to have a vacant hotel sitting right next to their visitor center.
    The cynic in me says Parks may not care too much, the gas station already closed a few years ago, & Parks do have recent form for closing down hotels...

it has been for sale for a while. 3.5 mil is anyone has the coin laying around . My ownership group might be looking into it but don't hold your breath. This is a shame. they should at least open up a year round camping spot if theres not where to sleep up there. Really going to suck when the pass closes for 3 days your stuck there with no hotel.
    Webisodes, Blogs, Words and Photos all right here-------->www.chasingsnowflakes.com

Here's the article I put online for the Revelstoke Times Review. It's behind a paywall on our website so I'll just C+P it here:

The Glacier Park Lodge in Rogers Pass closed its doors after Parks Canada chose to end its lease agreement with the operators.

The 44-year-old hotel closed its doors at the end of September with little in the way of announcement or fanfare. There is no indication on the hotel's website that it is closed and no one was answering the phone at the hotel.

Jacolyn Daniluck, the spokesperson for Parks Canada said the lease was terminated because the operators, Glacier Park Lodge Ltd., did not meet the terms and conditions of the lease.

Parks would not provide details, saying the conditions of the lease are confidential.

The lodge opened in 1968 with a 42-year-old lease that expired in 2010. Since then it has been extended on a month-to-month basis with the expectation the lessee would use this period to meet its lease condition, said Daniluck in an e-mail response to questions.

"This did not happen and Parks Canada will not renew the lease," she wrote.

The hotel had mixed reviews online, with a 2.5 star rating on the website tripadvisor.ca. It was popular with backcountry skiers and hikers looking for a cheap place to stay right in Rogers Pass but others criticized it for being dated and dirty.

The future of the hotel is unclear. "Parks Canada will be taking the time to consider future options for the property and will initiate the proper public process for any future initiatives," said Daniluck.

The closure has already forced some change of plans – the annual Canuck Splitfest, which has taken place at the lodge the past two years, switched its home base to the Hillcrest Hotel in Revelstoke for its 2013 event.

Daniluck said Parks Canada will provide visitors to Glacier National Park with information about other accommodation nearby.

The operators of the hotel could not be reached for comment.

This will seriously blow for people getting stuck at avy closures for any length of time. Then again hopefully any potential new owners clean it up a bit.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by time2clmb View Post
    Then again hopefully any potential new owners clean it up a bit.
    Has it gotten bad in recent years? Haven't been there for several years but it wasn't bad- just a motel in the middle of the mountains that charged motel rates which was awesome. Not much different from any other motel I've stayed at in Canada.

Sounds like a golden opportunity for MRA to issue a press release/facebook post/blog?

Just kidding Jamie ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Has it gotten bad in recent years? Haven't been there for several years but it wasn't bad- just a motel in the middle of the mountains that charged motel rates which was awesome. Not much different from any other motel I've stayed at in Canada.
    It was fine as of last winter. Not nice, but not horrible. I can see people complaining about it if they were expecting it to be some sort of grand mountain chalet though.

Well there was the whole scabies thing last winter. I stay there in any case but the bathrooms are pretty mangy...old or not there's really no reason to not take better care of the cleaniness. Not aweful, but not clean either and that has nothing to do with any comparisons to mountain chalets either.

A few health and food care violation tickets too many that I think finally caught up to them. That sux though

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    A few health and food care violation tickets too many that I think finally caught up to them. That sux though
    I must of been the victim of one of those 'food care' violations. Tits deep pow makes for a great anti-diarrhoeal, apparently.

this sucks, hopefully we can camp out in the vacant building this season.

Quote Originally Posted by time2clmb View Post
    Ahhhh fuck....I stay there quite a bit in the winter. It's always a riot and strange shit always happens when we stayed there...unexpected shit that pegs the entertainment level that never happens at other hotels. I really hope they get it back open asap.
    Damn, I was hoping to stay there again this season.
    Nothing like skining from the front door and riding right back to the highway and mixing in a beer between laps.
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Farcisimus View Post
    Damn, I was hoping to stay there again this season.
    Nothing like skining from the front door and riding right back to the highway and mixing in a beer between laps.
    And don't forget the awesome dinners - roast beef and the works for $12.

One thing is for certain - whoever buys that place is going to have to have a business plan if they want to make it work... which will not involve cheap rooms and cheap food. I could see somebody really upscaling the place, but it will take away from the charm.

Quote Originally Posted by alkos View Post

One thing is for certain - whoever buys that place is going to have to have a business plan if they want to make it work... which will not involve cheap rooms and cheap food. I could see somebody really upscaling the place, but it will take away from the charm.
    Doubt there's much of a business case there for running a high-end lodge in the middle of the months-long Rogers Pass winter whiteout. Dirtbag skiers are going to be the only customers in winter, no matter what's on offer.

IF the cook knows how to make it lol. Typical Glacier Park Lodge shennanigans. Ordered chicken, waitress came back said we couldn't have any since the cook didn't know how to make it. So ordered something else, waitress came back and said it would probably take half hour to 45 minutes as the cook had never made that either LMAO.

Then there was the other time where one of the employees was drunk and didn't want us to watch Hot Dog the movie "the inmates don't run the asylum". Bartender was apologetic and fed us alchohol until 2am for free...shitfaced and hung over as fuck in the a.m. touring.

Then the other time the staff guy knocked on the room door wanting to buy weed lol.

The old greenhouse hot tub that would collect ice sheet drywall on the inside and send random falling chunks of ice on to the ground.......

Always a good fucked up story to come out of that place with. Good times.

To bad, but I would guess it had a lot to do with out of date infrastructure, ie septic systems, water supply. And Parks Canada is often known to take any opportunity to shutdown commercial operations in a park. I can't see it opening again, the kind of investment it would take would make the prices to high for the a most of the people who stayed there in the winter.

And Parks Canada is often known to take any opportunity to shutdown commercial operations in a park
    These days they seem more interested in having commercial operations....the Brewster walk thingy near the Icefield centre for example...

Bummer....I really enjoyed putting on my skis in the hall and literally touring straight from my room.
    I once peed in the pool and didn't tell anybody.... I feel guilty now.
    TGR Bureau Chief, Greenwater, WA

Damn shame ! Stayed there a few times and drank there many. I hope someone picks it up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldo View Post
    what happened to Shadam this year? Usually by now he is posting drinking reports daily.