Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

How is the name "Redskins" still allowed?

I'm no liberal, but really, how is this acceptable?

They're named after the potatoes.

lol 678

Being a fan of the Redskins and the Utah Utes..

The Utes name is sanctioned by the tribe afaik, though the mascot is some stupid bird.

Redskins - it's not tribe specific so it's probably harder to mobilize for Native Americans.. it's so general. Plus, in terms of pejoratives, it seems like more of an oblique reference rather than something that would be mainstream and highly offensive like "Tontos"

But hey I just finished warching the 'skins game sipping on V so feel free to ignore me

oh and hail to the redskins!!

I would venture to guess that I hang out with at least as many if not more Injuns than any of you guys - even the liberals. I call them "Big Chief", "Tonto", savages, skins, Injuns, wagon-burners - all kinds of horrible shit. None of them care at all. They call me white boy, wasichu, honkey, paleface and make comments about how nice my long flowing scalp would look on their wall. I don't care. This is probably because we aren't white affluent hyper-sensative liberal douchebags with no sense of humor. Don't get me wrong - I'm sure there are a few douchebag Injuns who are offended by shit like "redskins" and really I don't blame them. If anybody genuinely deserves to be pissed about the past it's the godless savages - I mean at least African Americans have Africa to go back to (like anybody would want to do that). But it's alway really funny when a bunch of whitebread libs take it upon themselves to ge all offended for some group that doesn't really care.

Maybe the Redskins should change their name to The Washington Spoiled Libdouches and cut out the offended middleman.

That's great , qui no sabe .

We've all seen some really F'd up sanitization in this country in the name of "sensitivity" (political correctness) but really now...

Potatoes .... That's gold!

Quote Originally Posted by TomCrac View Post
    Potatoes .... That's gold!
    I stole that one.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    They're named after the potatoes.
    I'll go with that!

Of course the answer is "because the franchise has shitloads of fans and dollars." If the Bullets can change their name to the Wizards then the 'Skins could (and probably should) change their name as well. Guess we'll need a little more outrage. Just shows that worried soccer moms have more pull than a race of people who've been shat on since 1492.

We killed most of em. Kinda hard to complain when you're all dead.

"Washington Wetbacks" does have a nice ring to to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Just shows that worried soccer moms have more pull than a race of people who've been shat on since 1492.
    Notwithstanding the protests of activists, a 2002 poll commissioned by Sports Illustrated found that 75% of those Native Americans surveyed had no objection to the Redskins name.[57] The results of the poll have been criticized by Native American activists due to Sports Illustrated's refusal to provide polling information (i.e. how participants were recruited and contacted, if they were concentrated in one region, if one ethnic group is over represented and the exact wording and order of questions).[58][59] But in 2004, a poll by the Annenberg Public Policy Center at the University of Pennsylvania essentially confirmed the prior poll's findings, concluding that 91% of the American Indians surveyed in the 48 states on the mainland USA found the name acceptable and setting out in detail the exact wording of the questions.[60]

http://www.annenbergpublicpolicycent...s_09-24_pr.pdf

Dude - I'm a Redskins fan that for a decade was a Season Ticket Holder. Il know the justifications. Same argument could be said if Atlanta was called the "Niggas." Plenty of Black Americans call each other Nigga and have no problem with the word... would likely be kinda oddly proud of the team's name if it had the 'Skins' history, but that doesn't make it "right."

Dude - I'm a Redskins fan that for a decade was a Season Ticket Holder. Il know the justifications. Same argument could be said if Atlanta was called the "Niggas." Plenty of Black Americans call each other Nigga and have no problem with the word... would likely be kinda oddly proud of the team's name if it had the 'Skins' history, but that doesn't make it "right."
    That's an awful analogy and you know it. Having Al Michaels and Bob Costas drop n-bombs on NBC is a world away from the Redskins situation. Yeah it can be construed as derogatory, but the majority of NAmericans that have been surveyed (that I know of) don't mind it. So saying soccer moms outweigh the will of a race is absurd. If anything more than a small minority opposed the name I'd happily go along with it. But that doesn't seem to be the case.

Ok then, maybe we can come up with an alternate name ....

How 'bout the Washington Warbas!:
    Tubers are "round; buff skin, frequently with reddish areas around the eyes; deep red eyes; white flesh.... High yielding variety; low specific gravity." Primary use: Fresh market, boiling, baking.

http://potatoes.wsu.edu/varieties/red-vars.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontana View Post
    That's an awful analogy and you know it. Having Al Michaels and Bob Costas drop n-bombs on NBC is a world away from the Redskins situation.
    "That nigga player really lit up that redskin, Al"

I'd be willing to root for the Washington Whiteboys.

Of course the Atlanta Niggas thing was hyperbole. Come on.

Hey - I'm all about it staying "Redskins," emotionally agreeing as a fan with Jack Kent Cooke who said “I admire the Redskins name. I think it stands for bravery, courage, and a stalwart spirit and I see no reason why we shouldn’t continue to use it.” Then again I didn't have any problems with "Bullets" either.

The unavoidable truth is that a "redskin" was a trophy - proof that you killed a Native American and were due a bounty... not as it has been interpreted: to mean any Native American. To claim it's an honorific is a hudge reach. "Brave" would be, but not Redskin. I agreed with the OP that in today's more ethnic and racially sensitive world that maybe the name should be changed for that reason.

Actually, after doing a bare minimum of research maybe that "truth" is avoidable after all: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washing...roversy#Origin
    Last edited by Tippster; 09-30-2012 at 08:41 PM.

Potomac Nanticokes. Has a nice ring.

An old TMQ/Easterbrook thing.
    Last edited by SuperGaper; 09-30-2012 at 08:41 PM.

"I admire the Redskins name. I think it stands for bravery, courage, and a stalwart spirit and I see no reason why we shouldn’t continue to use it.”

Ohhhhh, so close.....

To claim it's an honorific is a hudge reach. "Brave" would be, but not Redskin. I agreed with the OP that in today's more ethnic and racially sensitive world that maybe the name should be changed for that reason.
    I can't refute that, it's a valid argument. Personally I have little faith in a renaming process. And with the passage of time and the intent seeming to differ from the literal meaning of the word + high approval rate from the impacted race.. I say don't change simply because there's an argument that it could hypothetically be detrimental to the interests/psyche of Native Americans. If it appears likely there is a negative impact it's a different story.

Personally I think it's no less offensive that FSU Seminoles, Atlanta Braves, etc exist. They were systematically exterminated and treated like cattle. Using their name as a novelty is insulting in and of itself.. either both parties agree to move forward and that projecting an air of respect towards NAs makes it ok, or not. Singling out the Redskins on a technicality seems to miss the overall issue at hand.

Would the skins become the Fairies to complement the Wizards?

The Redskins have in fact been punished for their team name. I mean, look at their teams for the past 15 years...

They all kind of pale in comparison to Cleveland's cartoon Indian don't they?

I'm with Jer on this one. All drama, no trauma.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperGaper View Post
    They all kind of pale in comparison...
    You saying something about us white folk boy???

About the OP, it was curious that I just saw a news broadcast here in MA tonight on this exact subject. Are people really that outraged?

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.