Need a new ride.

My Devinci Frantik is done. Original drive train with 350+ rides on it, needs rear rotor & pads front/rear, bent the bars, rims are round but pounded in a few spots, seat is ragged, fork is leaking, pivots are worn, rear deraileur has issues, scratched, dented.... She's been a great bike but it is time to retire her and move on.

So I'm looking. I'm thinking something that can pedal up yet descend fast, something that can take a bit of air and a good beating and still come back for more. My Frantik was up to it but a little heavy on the climb. I really like the slack head angle on my Frantik (65.1*) and would like to stay slack if possible.

LBSs sell Trek, Rocky Mt, Devinci (Frantik discontinued), Ibis, Intense, Transition, Santa Cruz, specialized, Kona, Norco, Giant, Cannondale.

I'm hoping to keep it under $3500. I'm going to demo a Trek Slash but the one in my price range has a Lyrik front shock. I've never been too keen on Rock Shock but maybe they're better than they once were. Seems Marzocchi has almost disappeared from Mt. bikes.

Any suggestions? Bikes to try? Bikes or parts on bikes to avoid?
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

Why not try something totally different: the new norco range killer B. I think it's got a 66 HTA running 650B wheels.

And why no love for Rock Shox? I can understand maybe 10 years ago, but their stuff is great, especially their rear shocks.

I got a Slayer earlier this summer & love it. Pedals well, but may not be beefy enough for your needs? My typical ride has been more pedaling this summer. It handled a few days of lift served DH no prob, but I'm pretty much a wuss when it come to DH...

I had a friend specialized enduro (I think it was) with a Rock Shock, he left the country and left me his bike to ride/sell. The fork just felt shitty. Maybe it was a low grade fork, I dunno.
    You are what you eat.

Beav those are all fixable issues but I can understand if you don't want to deal with it and just want a new ride. All those brands make something that'll fit the bill, I bet you love the slash, sweet bike, and the Lyric's a good fork. Check out Rocky Mountain's Slayer, Intense Uzzi or Tracer, Ibis Mojo HD, Giant Reign X. Most of those bikes will be in 66-67 degree range though.

If you're buying a new bike full pop they might be able to work with you on the spec a little, like switching the fork if you really don't want Rockshox. Marzocchi's still around and going strong, usually a bit cheaper than the competition too, and a bit heavier though.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Ibis & Intense are unlikely to fall within a CAD $3.5k budget. The cheaper Slayer will & has a Marzocchi fork, the mid Slayer might if you get a deal. Reigns can be cheaper, not sure about the Trek.

all those companies you mentioned make sweet bikes that meet your criteria.

for your price point narrow it down to: specialized, Kona, Norco, Giant, Cannondale, and rocky

just check them out and get whichever one you think is cool.

and what kind of huge ass shop has all those brands? damn.

This is all true, I'd look at the Rocky and the Giant.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Good reviews of bikes you might be interested at MTBR,

http://reviews.mtbr.com/2012-all-mou...e-outdoor-demo

No idea if any are in your price range.

Got an Uzzi and a Slayer to demo tomorrow. Uzzi could be built for about $3900, slayer I forgot to look at the sticker. I saw a Specialized Enduro EVO for $3200. I'm going to demo one sometime soon. Just riding around my yard and field I like the Uzzi.
    You are what you eat.

Wow, the Uzzi is a sweet ride. I might have to blow my budget away, it was only a guideline.

I tried to demo a Specialized Enduro EVO from another shop down the street and was told I could demo it for $60 that would be taken off the purchase price if I bought it. Fuck that, they can keep their fucking bike.

I demoed the Uzzi & Slayer from the Sacred Ride. The shop that isn't going to get my cash is the other bike shop in Nelson.
    You are what you eat.

Anyone ever ridden a Marin Quake?
    You are what you eat.

No. Nobody has ridden a Marin Quake. I really believe that.

"Demo" is LBS speak for 'rental'.

Back to Norco...skip the 650 Killer B, why not the regular Range? Norcos are so plentiful in BC. Barely used ones can be had cheap and even dealers have huge discounts on them now as Norco offers such huge discounts to their retailers around BC.

65.5 up front....two step Lyric gets it up to about 67.5 for those long climbs.

Yeti SB66! Such a great do anything rig

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    Anyone ever ridden a Marin Quake?
    One of the shops in Kelowna used to sell them I think, I remember seeing a few in the Okanagan the couple times I rode there. Never rode one myself but I always thought Marin's were under-rated. I actually almost bought a Quad Trail Attack-something out east earlier in the year, saw a awesome deal that was cheap enough to justify but they didn't have my size.

I got a Trek Slash 8 Demo bike that was ridden about 5 times by the shop owner for $3500. He even had it upgraded to the kashima talas 36. The bike is geared really well for climbing with the 2X10 and descends like a DH bike. Only about 30 lbs (depending on rubber) out of the box. I've also had it in the Whistler bike park one day a week for the last 6 weeks and it truly is a do all bike.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

Bought the Quake. Totem fork, Elixr CR brakes, Saint cranks, Spanky 28 rims, big betty tires, cant remember the hubs, dirty pedals, some kinda Easton seat post, cromag bars, xo shifter, and a cheapo x5 deraileur (he must have been running out of cash). Not a scratch on the frame, one gash on the bars from when the previous owner busted his collar bone in his first ride on it. $2100. I like it a lot.
    You are what you eat.

sounds like a good deal. New bike just in time for the snow?? But I guess that's when you find the deals.

Finstah Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post

I tried to demo a Specialized Enduro EVO from another shop down the street and was told I could demo it for $60 that would be taken off the purchase price if I bought it. Fuck that, they can keep their fucking bike.
    The nerve of them attempting to keep the lights on in their building this winter! Don't they know you post on TGR?