One great thing about starting grad school...

College season pass rates... FUCK YEA!

I'm gonna buy 2.. maybe 3.

God I'm stoked for winter...

Let's do this!
    Last edited by JayPowHound; 09-25-2012 at 09:29 PM.

I've been debating taking a full course load, this is definitely up there in the + column.

Does help a bit. Other advantage of grad school after finished with classes... taking off to go ski when the sky is puking truck loads of snow.

I basically could afford to become addicted to skiing because it happened as I was starting grad school. Strange given how generally not wealthy I've been during the period, but there are some great college passes out there.

I used to ride almost every day in college. Even if it was for an hour. It was nice.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    I used to ride almost every day in college. Even if it was for an hour. It was nice.

wait, you have to go to college to be a professional cock sucker?
    You know, you can't just go around and shoot people in the kneecaps with a double-barreled shotgun 'cause you pissed at 'em.

What the fuck...? Even if I could afford a season pass on my grad school budget, I don't have the time outside of school and work to justify it. Damn it all to hell, I'm obviously doing something wrong here...

Quote Originally Posted by RedWolf View Post
    What the fuck...? Even if I could afford a season pass on my grad school budget, I don't have the time outside of school and work to justify it. Damn it all to hell, I'm obviously doing something wrong here...
    I was thinking the same thing. Not looking forward to grad school for that reason.

But props to JayPowHound!
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Auvgeek, what are you studying? At the UW? Starting my 4th year of chem at the UW. Where there is a will there is a way.

Nah, I'll be applying this winter. Hoping for the Joint Program between MIT and Woods Hole to study underwater robotics [hence my username]. Wish the UW had what I wanted...or that I was less picky about it. Not sure I can bear the thought of (another) 4-5 years on the east coast.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

That part of the east is not on my list of favs. Too far away from any sort of mountain or ridgeline for me. I was pretty picky with my choice but luckily found a school with a few hills nearby.

^^ 100% agree. Also trying to figure out how to make NTNU in Trondheim work, but it's becoming a logistical nightmare.

Oh, and sorry to everyone for posting in Ski and Snowboard with my lame, non-stoke drivel.

photos

Quote Originally Posted by RedWolf View Post
    The work part of it is what is probably tough. My guess is people who are on scholarship/stipend/parental support have it much easier.

I skied about almost as much in grad school as I do now, which is about 35-45 days. I got the Mammoth MVP pass anyway, so the pass prices didn't do too much for me. If I were in the bay, or in Seattle, I think it would have been different.

For me, grad school meant less time in class and more time studying outside of the classroom. The good thing about this is that it means more freedom in planning your time. If I lived within an hour of a good mountain (I discovered Mt. Baldy late in school, and it does not exactly get PNW snow) I would have been able to get lots of days in.

For me, the tradeoff was my social life. I didn't party nearly as much in the winter because I had to balance studying and Mammoth trips every other weekend.

I should add that I was able to do so many Mammoth trips because I would usually get 2-3 people, drive up on Saturday at 4 am, and spend the night at Motel 6. Now, being done with school, I can afford a ski lease, which makes it much easier.

I think it really depends on the situation.

My first year I didn't ski much. I was coming off ACL surgery, and had left the mountains, so I was OK with having a slow year. My second year I had figured things out a bit, and knew how to balance priorities.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

I swear this is my last year at a 4 year institution.